Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 AM

672 posts, read 896,897 times

Advertisements

It has been approxately $400 a month at both the last two places we rented. The other unit was old, so I thought where we are living now would be cheaper. It isn't. The A/C people came to clean and adjust it right after we moved in last summer. The costs were still the same.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that both houses have two floors with the bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. I guess you might say it is $200 per floor?

Of course, there is also the LIPA factor and their added on Fuel Surcharges, err, excuse me, "Increased Costs Associated With Doing Business", or whatever "politically correct" slogan they are now calling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 02:43 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,572,467 times
Default Fuel Adjustment

We are in a co-op electric company that is cheaper than some of the other electrical companies in Fl. We pay a customer charge of $9.75 then an energy charge currently .0442 x whatever KWH then there is a fuel adjustment of .0471 x whatever KWH plus Fl. gross Receipts Tax.

For the last several months the fuel adjustment has been more than what I spend on enery. I know that my bill is way lower than someone in Tampa or
on the East Coast.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:24 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,510,816 times
FPL in summer was about 4-500 per month (2004). We were in S. Florida. I remember thinking it reminded me of Lilco and how expensive it was. Initially we were happy to escape NY prices. Then in 2003 S. Florida became the new NY.

sunny

Old 05-28-2007, 07:47 PM

4 posts, read 11,925 times
We keep our thermostat at 80 in the summer (unless I'm cleaning and then it's down a little lower). I close the vents in the master bedroom and bath and half of them in the living area (esp the one that blows toward the thermostat). I don't like it colder when I sleep -- some folks do and would want the bedroom vents open. I think my daughter's is closed too as is the second bath and laundry room. We all have ceiling fans and for us it's very comfortable. We've got about 1200 sq ft and our last bill was less than $70 (and that includes my son's 100 gal turtle tank that has a heat light and filter running 24/7 as well as a couple of other tanks he has. Last year after we put the pool in (18' above ground) our highest bill was only $150 or thereabouts. We don't really like it colder than 80 as it's too drastic a temperature change when we go outside. I keep a sweater in the car for restaurants as I normally freeze in them.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 PM

15 posts, read 123,839 times
I HATE CENTRAL AIR TOO!! It was 92 F in Balto today and humid and I was in my glory. I am cold if it's 70F. I pay out the nose all winter to be warm and when God gives me free hot air I am truely thankfull!! I keep my windows open and my plantation shutters slightly closed to keep out the direct heat of the sun. When home I keep my ceiling fans on and one of those tall skinny oscillating fans in the FR. We have a nice cross breeze and to be honest, it is very comfortable. I still have a goose down blanket on my bed that I end up pulling over me at night. My husband thinks I've lost my mind, but the kids don't care. Besides, our gas and electric bills are insane. Last summer I ran the upstairs unit on occasion at night. I would close the doors and turn it on. It had that same nostalgic effect of a window unit and of course I closed some of the vents in my room. I get sick with bronchitis when in AC. I feel your pain. I am sure I will learn to like AC in FL, but it won't be lower then 78-79F maybe even 80 F with fans on. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:39 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,510,816 times
There are no breezes in S. Florida unless you are right on the ocean. You cant open the windows because of bugs and humidity. You need the a/c to avoid suffocating 8 months out of the year.

sunny

Old 06-01-2007, 09:55 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,159,741 times
there's a little thing on the vent called a "regulator". It allows you to close th event or change direction of the air, if it's blowing right on you. If it doesn't work, just go to home depot and get a new one.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,160,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
There are no breezes in S. Florida unless you are right on the ocean. You cant open the windows because of bugs and humidity. You need the a/c to avoid suffocating 8 months out of the year.

sunny
Or you can. I don't know about bugs, I have screens. I almost never turn on the air except for maybe a month or two but not eight months. It is 79.2 and 59% in the house now. I haven't had the air on since last September and I am in South Florida, what part do you live in? I do remember being in Ocala and being uncomfortable even though oit is more north. Central Florida can sometimes seem more hot humid then the coast.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,235,971 times
I have a question about humidity in the house. The search function came up with so many threads but I think this one is close to what I have to ask.

We are vacationing in Ponte Vedra Beach, NE Florida, every year over Christmas and New Year. The temperatures are mostly upper 60s - upper 70s so that we don't need to turn the A/C on. We love to have several windows open for cross ventilation and fresh air. But last time it was so humid outside that with all the windows open the bedding and even the clothes in the closets became kind of damp.

What can be done about it when neither heating nor cooling is necessary? Have the windows closed all the time? I hate that, more so in a vacation home that does smell a little bit strange.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Connie

Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,336,596 times
CBB - you might want to invest in a dehumidifier. The closer you are to the ocean, the more difficult it becomes to keep things dry. Do you have fans that circulate the air as well? I would keep the windows open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida