Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:12 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2floridatoo View Post
I moved to Tampa just over two years ago and am in the process of moving to Seminole County. We are glad we made the move and are happy. I met a woman in a grocery in Semimole County who was from suburban Chicago. Has been here for four years. Said she cried and cried till her husband agreed to move back home. They are out of here in August.

Come give it a shot. Your home state will always be there if you hate it!
I can't count how many times I've read that the average length of time people stay in Florida is (4) years. For that reason I think for anyone looking for advice about living here.. unless someone's been here more than 4 years.. take their advice with a grain of salt... I don't mean that whatsoever as an insult.

I've been in South Florida 22 years and have a major love/hate thing going with the area.

Originally from the Midwest, I often still feel like a fish out of water in the dog eat dog world that it is here. Like many people say this is NYC's 6th borough.
For someone from the Midwest it is FAR from layed back. Not even close.

Like most people who've lived here any length of time you make new friends and in time they move away - I think that's one of the hardest things.
If I wasn't so old, I'd probably leave, but my best friends are here, so for now, here I'll stay.

I absolutely agree with the quote above where if you don't like it - you can always move back.
(Unless you would be walking away from a great job and have a family to provide for...Then you've got a lot more to consider and plan.)

Last edited by cfbs2691; 04-06-2017 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I can't count how many times I've read that the average length of time people stay in Florida is (4) years. For that reason I think for anyone looking for advice about living here.. unless someone's been here more than 4 years.. take their advice with a grain of salt... I don't mean that whatsoever as an insult.

I've been in South Florida 22 years and have a major love/hate thing going with the area.

Originally from the Midwest, I often still feel like a fish out of water in the dog eat dog world that it is here. Like many people say this is NYC's 6th borough.
For someone from the Midwest it is FAR from layed back. Not even close.

Like most people who've lived here any length of time you make new friends and in time they move away - I think that's one of the hardest things.
If I wasn't so old, I'd probably leave, but my best friends are here, so for now, here I'll stay.

I absolutely agree with the quote above where if you don't like it - you can always move back.
(Unless you would be walking away from a great job and have a family to provide for...Then you've got a lot more to consider and plan.)
Great Post

We lived in South Florida yes 4 years but we had to head back up North...We def had a Love/Hate Relationship as well for South Florida..So opportunity presented itself for us to move back to Florida anywhere in the state and have decided on the Tampa Area this time around, Florida is home for us or at least it feels that way and have no intentions on leaving...our best friends are in Tampa and in Winter Garden, Family in Boca and Delray...

You are right about it being the 6th Borough of NY..

Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 7,291 times
How 'bout it Sunny Days, what is your Florida success story? I believe you had not yet moved to Florida when you started this thread, but your location ID looks like you live there now.

We currently live in NJ and are planning to eventually move to Florida. Our son took a job in Orlando about a year ago, after attending Full Sail University, also in Florida. He loves living in Florida and often updates us during the winter as to the current temperature there and that he's wearing shorts and a t-shirt. lol.
So we are slowly cleaning out our house, its amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years. you come to realize how you really don't need much of it, including a large house for just the two of us and the maintenance of it along with the property. We look forward to leaving the high NJ property taxes behind.
I think we will rent something short term initially to give us time to really look around and not be rushed into buying something. I will be able to keep my job, since all I need is an internet connection and I can work, which is a relief, my wife would need to find new employment though. It was not a real bad winter here in NJ although I've had my fair share of them and will not miss them one bit. Its time to close this chapter of life in NJ and look forward to a new one in Florida!

Old 04-07-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRay View Post
How 'bout it Sunny Days, what is your Florida success story? I believe you had not yet moved to Florida when you started this thread, but your location ID looks like you live there now.

We currently live in NJ and are planning to eventually move to Florida. Our son took a job in Orlando about a year ago, after attending Full Sail University, also in Florida. He loves living in Florida and often updates us during the winter as to the current temperature there and that he's wearing shorts and a t-shirt. lol.
So we are slowly cleaning out our house, its amazing how much stuff you accumulate over the years. you come to realize how you really don't need much of it, including a large house for just the two of us and the maintenance of it along with the property. We look forward to leaving the high NJ property taxes behind.
I think we will rent something short term initially to give us time to really look around and not be rushed into buying something. I will be able to keep my job, since all I need is an internet connection and I can work, which is a relief, my wife would need to find new employment though. It was not a real bad winter here in NJ although I've had my fair share of them and will not miss them one bit. Its time to close this chapter of life in NJ and look forward to a new one in Florida!
Good Luck, We are counting down the days to leaving NJ again and this time NEVER Returning at least to live...

Old 04-07-2017, 12:26 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
A key point here is do not judge FL by So Fl. So FL is the one area that gets a lot of complaints due to cost, heat/humidity, traffic, crime and more. Other areas are better in many of those ways and the variety in FL while not great does offer a lot of better opportunities than So FL, except maybe for certain jobs. I would not move to So FL, but am likely planning to move to the East Coast of Central FL. Vastly different in many ways.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
A key point here is do not judge FL by So Fl. So FL is the one area that gets a lot of complaints due to cost, heat/humidity, traffic, crime and more. Other areas are better in many of those ways and the variety in FL while not great does offer a lot of better opportunities than So FL, except maybe for certain jobs. I would not move to So FL, but am likely planning to move to the East Coast of Central FL. Vastly different in many ways.
You are absolutely correct

Old 04-07-2017, 07:53 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

This is not only exactly right but should be a real eye opener to people who are early stage looking and don't know the lay of the land. Obviously the stage of your life and wealth and family and and and all factor into these decisions. But St. Augustine is quite different than anywhere on the gulf coast lol. I would happily take either as my destination though but my goal was and shall remain Sarasota. I'm going to try and work from home hopefully in a year or two and do that while snowbirding in Sarasota. In that scenario I would pass on St. Augustine because it would be well, cold.
Signed, Buffalo, NY

Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
This is not only exactly right but should be a real eye opener to people who are early stage looking and don't know the lay of the land. Obviously the stage of your life and wealth and family and and and all factor into these decisions. But St. Augustine is quite different than anywhere on the gulf coast lol. I would happily take either as my destination though but my goal was and shall remain Sarasota. I'm going to try and work from home hopefully in a year or two and do that while snowbirding in Sarasota. In that scenario I would pass on St. Augustine because it would be well, cold.
Signed, Buffalo, NY
Yep, in South FL the only ice in Winter is in your drink. In North FL it can be on your windshield in the AM.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 451 times
I'm currently living in Northeast Ohio. I'm a CDL driver for coca cola. I'm looking at moving next summer. Married with 3 kids. Oldest will be out of school, I will have an 8th and 6th grader. Looking for an area with good cost of living, good job prospects, and good safe schools. I'm looking at Niceville, Sarasota, and Tampa. And advice would be awesome. I just can't take the long cold winter anymore.... We love the beach and my kids are very good athletes who would love the year round warm weather to play their sports.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Check out Tallahassee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida