Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:04 PM

16 posts, read 69,153 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest Ocala, FL - of course check employment but I could not see it being a problem and we are in a great location - we have Silver Springs theme park with glass bottom boats, Disney in Orlando is 90 minutes, and so is Busch Gardens in Tampa - 30 minutes to Gainesville airport, and 90 to Orlando or Tampa so hurricanes are not a big concern and we have the National Forest with Springs, and the West Coat Gulf Beaches or East Coast Beaches (Daytona) are both about 50-60 minutes away. You can also find a really nice home in the $200k area. I moved up here from Dade/Broward 6 years ago and just LOVE my community....can't be too bad if John Travolta lives here, huh? LOL

Old 08-06-2006, 11:05 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
Just check out the MLS for the areas you are interested in. There are many available

Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 AM

14 posts, read 69,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxElla View Post
Hello. We are a family of four. Two girls ages 7 and 4 and we are in our late twenties. We are thinking of moving from NY to Fl. I'm a Paramedic my wife is also in a medical field. We can't decide between west coast and east coast. Also we are planning to buy our first home probably a new build in a family oriented neighborhood. To us safety, jobs, and schools are very important. Any info would help a lot. Thanx every one in advance.
i live in central florida and i will tell you make sure you think about it very well. so many people move here with this paradise (vision) in their heads.only to find out that florida has many problems also it is far from the perfect place.if you are in the medical field you will always find a job you just wont make the same money as in ny.floridas school system is failing and florida has the highest dropout rate in the country. also there are the bugs,the extreme heat, and large numbers of old people to adapt to. i am from nj but i have been here for 17years and i will tell you every holiday season my heart is back home even after all these years. i dont want to change your mind just make sure you do some homework before jumping. maybe you should rent here before buying a house just to see if it is what you are looking for? i will not talk bad about florida because i moved here on my own free will but, if i had it to do it all again i would not be here. the grass is not always greener on the other side! good luck and god bless!

Old 09-24-2006, 12:28 AM

14 posts, read 69,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxElla View Post
My wife is a certified pedorthist, she works with people that need special shoes like orthopedic or diabetic shoes. And we are planning on opening a little retail store. I'm also graduating physician assistant school soon. I have checked a couple of employment web sites, it looks like there are good jobs available in Florida.
most of the jobs in florida are in the medical field, law, banking, hotels, food service and education field. all of them are under paid. i live in marion county and we are the lowest paying county in the state.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:36 AM

91 posts, read 336,885 times
Hi Maxella, I just moved here, Cape Coral, in July with 1 daughter, sophomore. So far so good! I am too new, however, to give you solid advice on anything, except to say that in Lee County, the schools are "Choice". (Not sure about anywhere else.) It's not like up north where depending on where you live by district, is where your children go to school. Choice allows you to pick schools within the district, but you may not get your 1st choice and depending on where you are in line, once seats are filled the choice is made for you. This could mean that your girls would go to a school much further away from where you live. Being that your girls are so young, this would be something to mindful to. Also, being from out of state, make sure you have their immunization records and they may need additional shots. Depending on where you are considering your move, look at the county websites for the list of criteria. As far as you and your wife's careers. Anything medical is needed everywhere, so you should be ok securing work. Not sure of the pay, though. Hope this helps!

Old 09-24-2006, 07:16 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,433 times
Default Lake County may be right for you

MaxElla
Lake County is inland but homeowners insurance isn't as high here as the coast. You may want to check out the jobs here. The houses would be more affordable than near the larger cities on the coast. A lot of retirees live in Lake County. Realistically, wages are lower in Florida and homeower's insurance and taxes may be more than you are used to paying. New homes usually come with an impact fee that may seem outrageous to you. Resales do not have an impact fee. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:37 AM

25 posts, read 117,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.roz View Post
Weston is a great area for your girls, it has A rated schools (top 10 in the state)
Dan Marino now lives in Parkland, his Weston house is on the market. The Rock lives in Davie, but is building in Weston.

Furthermore, although I love south Florida. I recommend you considering Cape Coral or Fort Myers...tons of seniors for your wife's retail business. But also affordable living & good schools. I really like the area, but cannot relocate because jobs in my husband's industry are hard to find. Many New Yorkers are also discovering the West Coast. Warning: it is not a fast paced lifestyle, but there is alot to do...boating, swimming, parks, fishing, shopping, etc. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 09-28-2006 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-26-2006, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,599 times
I am an RN that lives in Kenneth City, moved here 13 years ago from KY, Love it!!

Check it out!! Great for those in the medical and paramedic field.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Kenneth-City-Florida.html

Old 09-26-2006, 07:39 PM

27 posts, read 147,208 times
Unhappy Think about it

We recently moved here with our daughter and son and are planning on moving back out of Florida. While the weather is wonderful and the ocean is grand there are a lot of things that have frightened us out of here. If you go on the florida sex offender website it is frightening how many live in Florida. We were shocked that over 100 within 5 miles of our home. Also the cost of living is so outragous and the wages are low. We are very sad that we will be moving as we have dreamt about this for years. But we just don't see as feasible. Also check out the schools very closely. What we have found are the there are very few children out playing in their yards like other places. Also most places there are many snowbirds so there are many homes empty in the summer. Although it is beautiful and we have learned from it I would really investigate it before you came down.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:58 AM

92 posts, read 457,103 times
Having kids, you would probably want a place that has a lot for them to do. Culture, pro sports, parks, big name concerts etc. You can really only find these in either Orlando/Tampa area or South Florida. I can only speak for South Florida, but you won't be able to find anything new for that price. You can definitely get a nice 20 year old town house though in a good area like Coral Springs. Plus the area is rife with opportunity for jobs in your fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida