U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
 
3,225 posts, read 8,269,368 times
Reputation: 902

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Gotcha.

Here is my take - October & 1st half of November are chilly, but not so cold that it is unbearable if dressed in a warm jacket and light scarf and sometimes the use of gloves (the wind is really cold 99% of the time) temps are anywhere from 40-55 - late November it gets cold all the way through to Mid March - so, that is 4 solid months of cold, cold, cold weather - temps well under 40 - with the occassional warm-up for a day or 2 - you must wear a heavy coat, thick scarf jacket under the coat and warm gloves. Late March - end of April - temps are anywhere from 40-55 - with both the occassional warm and cold front allowing temps to be either colder or warmer for a few days. May 55-75 - with the same room for warm and cold fronts, and usually a lot of rain. June 70-85 with the same room for warm and cold fronts, but definitely on the warmer side with the HHH usually a daily factor. July and August (I love it) - 80-95 with the same room for warm and cold fronts, but mostly warm and HHH usually a daily factor. September is weird because right after Labor Day, I literally can smell Fall - this weather is comfortable, but you can feel the chill in the climate - 55-75, with a lot of rain - boooo!

I didn't go into the fact that the skies are very grey here, more often than not. That part is depressing.

So, really there is no wrong or right for anyone because everyone feels cold and hot differently, like markhunt said.

I personally feel a chill at 65 or below, I'm wearing a jacket in that weather unless the sun is beating down, then maybe not.

Others don't feel chilly until about 50 - big difference. I do think the heat is oppressive when in excess, but it is much easier to sit in the shade and watch a little league game than to run around trying to get warm watching one LOL. My boys played what they call Snowflake baseball - because sometimes the snow falls in late October early November. It is very difficult trying to keep little guys warm in a sport that requires you to wear less clothing. I am just not a cold weather person, but I don't think those who like cold weather are crazy, but I do think that we have to admit when cold is cold and hot is hot. I will never argue that Florida is Hellahot, but it boggles the mind when people can say that NY is not cold and in the same sentence say I love to wear layers and layers and layers of clothing (not you mark, I have read that in other posts). Your basically proving the point that yes it is cold - LOL - and Upstate - yuck that is even colder - I would never move there for that very reason. That being said we I think we must admit that NY is really cold for a solid 4 months, Cool for 3 months - chilly for 2.5 and really warm for .5 and just plain hot for 2 months. This is a rough estimate. Sometimes it gets hotter earlier in June allowing for more hot, but then it usually gets cool a little earlier at the end of August. SE Florida according to my sister who live there 2months of warm to cool (with room for cold and hot fronts - as seen this winter); 2 months of perfect weather; 2 months of warmer to hot; 1 month of hot to hot, hot; 3 months of hot, hot, hot; and 2 months of warmer to hot.

Given the choice I might choose a place more temperate like LA or something on the lower half of the west coast where the tempratures do not seem to be as extreme, but with that you have the fear of earthquakes - I don't like that idea too much.
So true and accurate about the weather here in NYC. You spend half the year shivering and the other half either in transition to depressing cold or running down a hot NYC street with steam coming out your body extremities. You try to cool off in a public pool only to jump in and right back out with all the users using them as bathrooms and the usual pervs lurking around.

The tall buidings make the heat more unbearable, the subways and above ground trucks, cars, buses add to the heat exhaustion. You try to run out of the city for a breather on Long Island and get bottlenecked by the traffic and irate, frenetic drivers pointing in the same direction seeking any outlet on the island from the steamy weather. Jones Beach, Long Beach, everywhere gets packed and you feel like you're back in Manhattan trying unsuccessfully to stretch out your arms for a breather.

Yeah, we battle all the elements here...the dark, gloomy days of winter, the stifling, oppressive days of summer on congested streets, back alleys, highways, perspiring, panting, seeking relief and finding none. We end up staying indoors for the winter and remaining there for the summer looking out the window and praying that next year, hopefully, Al Gore is wrong, and we'll at least have a lovely spring in May.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL
2,169 posts, read 4,835,831 times
Reputation: 1178
I get cold under 60 degrees, so winters north of Florida (even Atlanta due to elevation) are too cold for my personal taste. I absolutely cannot stand dressing for winter. It SUCKS being in all that clothing. In a cold home, people even have to wear warm clothing in the house while relaxing. I just can't stand that, while my feet and hands still freeze. And if you keep your house really warm like I used to, just walking the dog you have to put on socks, shoes, jeans, and a jacket for a 5 minute walk outside. If you are driving anywhere you have that 5 minute warm-up period while you freeze in your car. It's just not for me.

I don't mind a blazing hot day...t-shirts, shorts and flops and I am good. I don't do yardwork, and I would not just sit out in the sun unless I am at the beach where I can get in the water. I'll take 8 months of 90 degree weather to not put up with the cold. May - October in Orlando is really freaking hot, but that is the trade-off I am willing to deal with to not freeze from October through April anywhere else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Boston MA, by way of NYC
2,763 posts, read 6,504,652 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I get cold under 60 degrees, so winters north of Florida (even Atlanta due to elevation) are too cold for my personal taste. I absolutely cannot stand dressing for winter. It SUCKS being in all that clothing. In a cold home, people even have to wear warm clothing in the house while relaxing. I just can't stand that, while my feet and hands still freeze. And if you keep your house really warm like I used to, just walking the dog you have to put on socks, shoes, jeans, and a jacket for a 5 minute walk outside. If you are driving anywhere you have that 5 minute warm-up period while you freeze in your car. It's just not for me.

I don't mind a blazing hot day...t-shirts, shorts and flops and I am good. I don't do yardwork, and I would not just sit out in the sun unless I am at the beach where I can get in the water. I'll take 8 months of 90 degree weather to not put up with the cold. May - October in Orlando is really freaking hot, but that is the trade-off I am willing to deal with to not freeze from October through April anywhere else.

Good post - the only thing I think it is missing is that it isn't really 90's all the time from May thru October. It gets to be 90, but that isn't the norm in may or in October - would that be fair to say? I realize it is still in mid to upper 80's though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Boston MA, by way of NYC
2,763 posts, read 6,504,652 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
So true and accurate about the weather here in NYC. You spend half the year shivering and the other half either in transition to depressing cold or running down a hot NYC street with steam coming out your body extremities. You try to cool off in a public pool only to jump in and right back out with all the users using them as bathrooms and the usual pervs lurking around.

The tall buidings make the heat more unbearable, the subways and above ground trucks, cars, buses add to the heat exhaustion. You try to run out of the city for a breather on Long Island and get bottlenecked by the traffic and irate, frenetic drivers pointing in the same direction seeking any outlet on the island from the steamy weather. Jones Beach, Long Beach, everywhere gets packed and you feel like you're back in Manhattan trying unsuccessfully to stretch out your arms for a breather.

Yeah, we battle all the elements here...the dark, gloomy days of winter, the stifling, oppressive days of summer on congested streets, back alleys, highways, perspiring, panting, seeking relief and finding none. We end up staying indoors for the winter and remaining there for the summer looking out the window and praying that next year, hopefully, Al Gore is wrong, and we'll at least have a lovely spring in May.
As always Miles you are a treat. I like the warmth - I try not to complain about it. I feel just as you are getting to enjoy the warmth here comes the cold again. I realize the cold affects me more than other people, but goodness it is just jacket or coat weather for far too long in my opinion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 AM
 
3,225 posts, read 8,269,368 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
As always Miles you are a treat. I like the warmth - I try not to complain about it. I feel just as you are getting to enjoy the warmth here comes the cold again. I realize the cold affects me more than other people, but goodness it is just jacket or coat weather for far too long in my opinion.
I hear ya, Chelsa. Like you, I prefer the Florida summers to the NY winters - whether NYC or Upstate NY winters.

It's so uncanny how we feel identically when the temp goes below 65 degrees or when we remain in jacket and coat for unending months. Let's face it - some people, like you and I, are meant to be as free as a bird, bereft of heavy clothing, flittering in the Florida sunlight, enjoying lazy afternoons at the beach, dressed in our delightful swimsuits (well, I'll take a pass on mine, but certainly yours will be delightful), flip flops, beach towel around our waists...ah, the beautiful Florida weather.

Okay fellas, I know, I know, it's not everyday that everybody can hang like that in Florida...and people have to work not hang at the beach everyday. But that might just end up being my own daily routinue if I can get a job as a lifeguard since the accounting market has dried up down there!!! LOL.

Now, if I could only learn to swim!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL
2,169 posts, read 4,835,831 times
Reputation: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Good post - the only thing I think it is missing is that it isn't really 90's all the time from May thru October. It gets to be 90, but that isn't the norm in may or in October - would that be fair to say? I realize it is still in mid to upper 80's though.
I don't know why I put 8, I meant 6 months. Not all of May - October are 90s. However, October can be so brutal due to the humidity at that time of year. Then at the end of October it cools off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,896 posts, read 11,511,911 times
Reputation: 7485
I'm from NE Ohio, born and raised, and still live here. I would take Florida summers any day! While I like my state, I can't stand the weather here from Oct to March. Very similar to NY, cold dreary, lack of sunlight. April and May can be rather chilly as the end of September, and most of October. Summer here while too short is nice. We do get hot, but we get breaks. From June-Aug it can range from the mid 70s to low 90s. Sept can still get hot, at least the first part, but it's hard to enjoy the outdoors, because of the problem with the yellow jackets up here. I don't know if you guys have that problem, but come the middle of August they start getting really aggressive, and it's hard to enjoy the last couple weeks of summer outdoors. We will get snow in Oct, and have seen it accumulate on a few occasions. Nov and Dec, while cold, I can actually deal with, because of the holidays. However; I've been to Florida during that time, and it was really cool seeing all of the palm trees decorated. Bottomline, I'll probably never leave Ohio, due to family and friends, but someday when my kid is older, and my wife and I are closer to retirement, I would certainly like to become a snowbird. That way I can enjoy the best of both worlds. I know that you natives are probably cringing hearing me say that, but us northerners are not all that bad. Besides IMO Winter just as a whole, flat out sucks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Global citizen
4,194 posts, read 11,250,326 times
Reputation: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I don't know why I put 8, I meant 6 months. Not all of May - October are 90s. However, October can be so brutal due to the humidity at that time of year. Then at the end of October it cools off.
90s arent common outside of june-september.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,643 posts, read 9,156,424 times
Reputation: 1661
Default North, or Central Flroida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Good post - the only thing I think it is missing is that it isn't really 90's all the time from May thru October. It gets to be 90, but that isn't the norm in may or in October - would that be fair to say? I realize it is still in mid to upper 80's though.
is not South Florida. Doesn't get to 90s every day? Oh, yeah. Maybe it will be 88 or 89 IF you are lucky. Don't give me an "average" temp either. One day of 80 degrees will scew the average way down. It is HOT and HUMID 9 months of the year.This year we broke records for the most days of 90 degrees and above for OCTOBER, not counting the HUMIDTY with heat indrexes over 100 degrees. The PE coach took the temp on the basketball court in October this past year and it was 120 degrees.

But, but, but it's not COLD. Gimme a break. Go from one extreme to another.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Boston MA, by way of NYC
2,763 posts, read 6,504,652 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
90s arent common outside of june-september.
I didn't think so GLS - I know it can hit 90 but it does it for a few days - then back to the 80's.

Tan - you aren't a good source as you hate heat which is apparent that coupled with the fact that you don't dress properly for your weather is not good. I can't logically take advice from you on hot and cold because the way hot and cold affect us is completely different. You think anything over 75 is hot and I think anything under 65 is chilly. The difference between us is that I at least can admit that 90+ is hot - you won't admit 40 is comfortable. You state that under your many layers it is comfortable - it is pretty cold and even those who don't want to move to Florida are likely to admit that.

For you I hopoe you get back to LI. Where you will be able to put layer upon layer on so that you may be comfortable. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:24 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top