U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 AM

16,376 posts, read 21,406,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
..., I love New England, especially during the Holiday season.
Memorial Day weekend? Labor Day weekend?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,945,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It was that cold yesterday? We were in Hartford visiting relatives and I didn't think it was that cold. We stopped at a rest stop and I sat at a picnic table drinking coffee for a while. I brought a down coat with me but was only wearing a fleece hoodie and no hat, scraf, or gloves.

No wonder I can't take Florida's heat. BTW, I love New England, especially during the Holiday season.

No, that's this morning.

I'm sure a lot has to do with tolerance too. My tolerance for cold weather is not good at all. T-shirt, sweatshirt, winter coat, scarf, gloves - and I still and am not warm enough in these cold temps. However, my friend and I met one night when it was in the 30's and while I was dressed like I just said, she had on a t-shirt and a light hoodie and was fine.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 AM

65 posts, read 144,287 times
I'm from Southern California and I can tell you it's not the year-round warm climate everyone makes it out to be. I'm sitting here with heater that I keep transporting from room to room. Lately it's been getting into the high 30's/ low 40's in the evenings. Yes we can get warm spells during the day and our heat is mostly dry, but I would love to have the nice warm high 70's/low 80's winters that Florida gets. Just wish I had the funds and job flexibility to have a home in Florida from January thru May (got to spend holidays out here with family) and a home here the rest of the year

Can't say alot regarding Florida summers but I know I don't like high humidity and detest rain - especially every day in summer like they get on most of east coast. I would say I'd rather have summers out here in California - but not near the coast where I am. Summers here at coast only get into the mid 70's most days and there always seems to be a chilly breeze. Most people wouldn't find it cold but I get cold when it's below 75 F! If I go inland about 5-10 miles the weather is perfect in the Spring and summer - no dreaded fog (like we get here most days in spring) and warmer, dryer weather.

Wouldn't want to live anywhere that has alot of snow. I love snow in small amounts and during Christmas time. I love to see it snow and actually make trips to the mountains once a year to experience it - since we never get it near the coast. While it's fun and magical while you are there, I wouldn't want to have to be snowed in all the time, to cold to go outside to do anything and plow my driveway out just to go anywhere. The change of seasons seems nice though like they get back east. Wish we had a little of that here - just not as drastic.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM

41 posts, read 52,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Man do I get tired of hearing this. When I lived in NY there were times I could not put on enough clothes to feel warm and layering up to the point where I didn't have full use of my extremities is not fun.
ME TOO!

We were at Disney this past August, and then spent some time at my mother's house in FL. Yes, it was hot, and yes, it's not my idea of ideal weather, but as we were getting into the hot car one day, I mentioned to my husband that I would gladly take an uncomfortable humid 90+ degrees than anything under 30 degrees any day.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:53 AM

9,524 posts, read 5,520,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Memorial Day weekend? Labor Day weekend?
Christmas and New Year's, but Thanksgiving is nice. I don't like Summer holidays.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM

623 posts, read 1,241,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Freebird View Post
ME TOO!

We were at Disney this past August, and then spent some time at my mother's house in FL. Yes, it was hot, and yes, it's not my idea of ideal weather, but as we were getting into the hot car one day, I mentioned to my husband that I would gladly take an uncomfortable humid 90+ degrees than anything under 30 degrees any day.

We've lived in NY and Florida and I'll take a Florida day in August over NYC in a NY minute. Nyc is swealtering in summer (humid, hot, black pavement) and windy freezing kickass cold in winter. You're walking too, in all that. Not driving in your heated or ac car.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:02 PM

9,524 posts, read 5,520,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
We've lived in NY and Florida and I'll take a Florida day in August over NYC in a NY minute. Nyc is swealtering in summer (humid, hot, black pavement) and windy freezing kickass cold in winter. You're walking too, in all that. Not driving in your heated or ac car.
Well, I grew up in Manhattan before home AC was invented. Yep, no heated or ac car, but also no AC APARTMENT either. Many, many times in the Winter the building boiler would break and that would mean no heat, or hot water.

Having lived, inside and outside, without either, the times without heat were much better. We have boiled water, turn on the stove burners, and slept in our coats when the boiler broke. What could we do without AC when it was in the 90s? NOTHING. Take a cold shower? Just sit in front of a fan? That was about it.

Probably my early life in NYC Summers influenced my dislike of hot weather and Summers. I found ways to keep warm, but could find no way to cool off, and have HATED Summers since I was a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida