U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 AM

9,073 posts, read 15,290,639 times

Advertisements

Florida summers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,400,849 times
I'll take Florida "winters" from Dec-Feb, then NY or NE summers thank you!!! because Florida summers suck!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM

9,444 posts, read 16,837,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Excellent post, sir.

Your anlaysis of the weather in Florida highlights a number of important issues. First, personal preference is the key. Second, - and this is so important to those contemplating North Florida vs. South Florida as an escape from Northern winters - the summers throughout Florida are hot and humid but the Southern part of the state has milder winters than does North Florida. So many end up in North Florida then realize that the winters there can be a little too cold for them while at the same time the summers are just as hot as in South Florida. You also appropriately point out that inland can be hotter than on either coast.

All good info for those whose relocation to Florida hinges predominantly on weather, and who are considering which portion of the state is best for them.
I agree. Good post.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM

4,418 posts, read 6,573,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I have previously lived in NYC and moved to Florida 20 years ago. I have moved all over Florida to find the right spot for me because like NY the weather can be drastically different in other parts of the state.

The inland portions of the state will usually be a little warmer than both coasts. During the summer the difference between north and south Florida will not be as distinct as the difference in winter.

To give an example the average July temp in Miami is high of 91 and a low of 77 and Jacksonville is high of 90 and a low of 74 but during January the average high for Miami is 76 and the average low is 60 while Jax will have an average high of 64 and an average low of 45.

I left NY because I hate the cold just as some in Florida hate the warmth. It does still get cold in Florida but not for as long. This winter we had a week or 2 with lows in the 20's and 30's in central Florida.

I think Florida has much better weather no matter what part of the state but it is all just a personal preference.
And the average humidity, dew point and heat index during July is.....?
Florida's Climate and Weather: Heat Index
Relative Humidity (%) for Selected Cities in the Southeast | Welcome - Southeast Regional Climate Center

Refreshing.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM

853 posts, read 1,471,537 times
I lived in FL at one time (mid 90's) but returned back to my home region several years ago.

I don't even live in a very cold area (Pittsburgh region) but it does get old very fast. I was so happy today because got above freezing!

Try driving in the hills when it's icy and slushy! Not fun!

I loved Florida's weather though. Those afternoon thunderstorms were something I looked forward to. My sinuses are a wreck up here. But I am staying put. The weather alone doesn't influence where I live. Family ties and familarity are more important to me. (Not knocking those who move to FL for the weather.)

Old 02-01-2010, 04:26 PM

8,488 posts, read 19,813,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
And the point of your post was?

I was showing the OP how different one area of Florida can be from another area. I showed differences in average temperature. I explained how I used to live in NY and did not like the cold weather.

You? Well you showed again that you don't like warm weather. I am sure that is a great help to the OP.

How long have you lived in Florida and how long did you live in NY?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:08 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,503,539 times
I will say this - I would gladly have Florida summers! Other posters are 100% correct when they say it is really dark here it is often very cloudy and just plain yucky here - however, this winter has been unusually sunny - it has been cold as hell but the sun makes you feel just a bit better!

Re the afternoon showers I love that smell after it rains - nice time to relax - I can't wait to get there. I hope no one is offended by my legs or sandals lol!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:17 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,400,849 times
What smell? The moldy swamp water smell? This state smells like a big pond.... Well down here it sure does.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,027,122 times
I think it all depends what you compare it to.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,247,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
What smell? The moldy swamp water smell? This state smells like a big pond.... Well down here it sure does.
i agree i hate the feeling/smell after the summer showers. I wouldn't say it smells like mold or a swamp. It just feels so uncomfortable when the sun comes out and starts evaporating the puddles and the steam rises up and you feel like your in 200% humidity and it smells like rain water steam. thats one of the things i hate most about FL summers.

I love FL summer mornings and during the day when its hot, and right before it storms when dark clouds roll in and the wind blows around cool gusts of wind. But after the storm passes and the sun comes out, that is the WORST. Then it gets good again when the sun goes down.

Id still pick all that over NY winters though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida