Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times

Advertisements

I like wearing CLOTHES. Lots of CLOTHES. I like the FEEL of clothes next to my skin: silk, cashmere, wool, corduroy, even cotton. Apart from style, I don't like the feel of the sun on my bare skin. THAT is why I don't wear shorts, and haven't since I was a teenager. I even stopped wearing nightgowns when I was a child for that very reason. I don't like the feel of my bare legs sticking together in sweat. I like the snuggly feeling of being in a big robe, sleeping in flannels, and under down comforters, etc., etc. I am not going to even get into the sensations of the smells, or sights, assoicated with cold weather.

This is why I like Fall, and Winter in NY. It encompasses everyhting. I am very senses deprived livng in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Upstate NY or NY City? If the choice was between NY city in the winter or Fla summers I'd go with the NYC winter but its close. Upstate NY winter vs Fla summer and I go with Fla summer.
For the person that says its nice through May....no it isn't, at least not in Orlando where it feels like a furnace blast. the coastal areas in May are a bit more tolerable. June through early Oct is unbearable virtually everywhere in the state.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 PM

872 posts, read 1,712,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Disagree as much as you like, but Citydata shows average May temp in Orlando to be between the low to high 70s, the average temp for April to be from the high 60s to the low 70s and the average November to be from the low 70s to the mid 60s.
Baloney. May in Orlando averages close to 90 during the day and close to 70 for an overnight low. 80 degrees would be the average in Orlando in May when you factor the daytime with the daytime low. And there's very little haze so for those fair skinned you better lather on some SPF30 or get scorched from the very intense sun. May is a downright awful month in much of Florida.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
Baloney. May in Orlando averages close to 90 during the day and close to 70 for an overnight low. 80 degrees would be the average in Orlando in May when you factor the daytime with the daytime low. And there's very little haze so for those fair skinned you better lather on some SPF30 or get scorched from the very intense sun. May is a downright awful month in much of Florida.
A high average of 88 and a low average of 66 in May would put the daily average around 77.
For April a high average of 83 and a low of 60 would be a daily average of around 71.5.
November has a average high of 79 and an average low of 59 which would make it a daily average of 69.

Seems the poster was pretty close on the numbers .

Old 02-02-2010, 04:29 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
I'd be interested in knowing the average HOURLY temperatures. That's the problem with figuring averages- even a momentarily drop or rise in temperature skews the data. Maybe median temperature?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
That average temp is bullcrap, an average in may of 77, yeah right. AT NIGHT maybe, during the day it is NOT 77, more like 90. SWFL(Fort Myers) averages... See below. We can all sit here and put these temp "averages" on here, but the normal HIGH temperatures are what we are talking about here. Then those high temps or so called "Max highs" as they say in the website, believe me, they go way over 91.4 in June, July, Aug, and Sept. More like 94, 95, 96, and then some at times. How about we factor in the Dew point and humidity levels?

http://www.floridatravelusa.com/wcharts.htm

Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I do feel some people's bodies are more sensitive to cold or heat. For me it is cold. I can't warm up and have a condition where I am in more pain in the cold. The humidity/heat is not great but better then the cold. Also for me the snow factor takes a toll. I'm not sure in NY the snowfall but I am from up north and if you get 7 inches in a day you still have to get to work which means adding on a lot of time to your drive.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
A high average of 88 and a low average of 66 in May would put the daily average around 77.
For April a high average of 83 and a low of 60 would be a daily average of around 71.5.
November has a average high of 79 and an average low of 59 which would make it a daily average of 69.

Seems the poster was pretty close on the numbers .

The average low is 60 in April? I believe you, it just doesnt seem like it is. By that time, it's usually getting hot.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:25 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I think you are all right about average temps, but that low probably occurs when noone is actually awake LOL - the humidity that everyone is also talking about plays a big factor in the feel. I don't know if this is out there, but I would say let's look up real feel temps and average that out then everyone would have a better idea of just how warm or cold it is. for instance the temp today is 28 but the real feel is 20. What does that equall really really really cold. I don't care how many layers you put on going out looking like the STAY PUFFT Marshmallow man is not very comfortable, especially as an adult! I have to tell you though all the things Tan describes about NY and it's weather seems to solidify peoples opinions that it is cold here. Some people like it that way - she is definitely one of them. God Bless - I will gladly change places.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:40 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
That average temp is bullcrap, an average in may of 77, yeah right. AT NIGHT maybe, during the day it is NOT 77, more like 90. SWFL(Fort Myers) averages... See below. We can all sit here and put these temp "averages" on here, but the normal HIGH temperatures are what we are talking about here. Then those high temps or so called "Max highs" as they say in the website, believe me, they go way over 91.4 in June, July, Aug, and Sept. More like 94, 95, 96, and then some at times. How about we factor in the Dew point and humidity levels?

Florida Travel Vacation Guide - Accommodations,* Attractions and Retirement info and more!.
I agree. Even a one hour drop into the 70s would tarnish the results. I'd like to see an hour by hour temperature recording and THEN figure out an average. Besides, dew point and humidity combined with the TRUE average temperature history would give a more honest description of heat index.
To take two numbers and add them together and then divide by two is ok when dealing with two, static variables, but not very accurate when dealing with something that possibly changes constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida