Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 PM

168 posts, read 424,750 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to relocate for the past 2 years without any luck (Well, had an offer and turned it down for reasons that were NOT money related but regret it now. Since then I have only had a few phone interviews). Most people say the reason is because of the lack of an in state address. I am considering putting his address on my resume and cover letter and explaining it once I get to the interview. I am really at a loss of what else to do, except just move without a job. I have money saved and would probably be okay because I'm cheap as it is. I just figure life is too short to hate where I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM

191 posts, read 632,721 times
You would be better calling places and telling them your situation and what your trying to do. Im in the process of moving myself from nj and doing what i can to secure work for myself b4 hand.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:58 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
I told potential employers that I was still living in NY, but my husband was living Florida. I also told them the exact date that I was moving down to join him. Maybe having a spouse is different.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
I have been trying to relocate for the past 2 years without any luck (Well, had an offer and turned it down for reasons that were NOT money related but regret it now. Since then I have only had a few phone interviews). Most people say the reason is because of the lack of an in state address. I am considering putting his address on my resume and cover letter and explaining it once I get to the interview. I am really at a loss of what else to do, except just move without a job. I have money saved and would probably be okay because I'm cheap as it is. I just figure life is too short to hate where I am.
Say what ever you have to to get your foot in the door. It is a rough world out there.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
The problem is doing that could make it worse. If you are currently employed, say in NJ, and you put down a Florida address, how exactly do you explain THAT? It will immediately be noticed.

The reason you got a job offer before is because things were still limping along, back then. Right now, we are at the worst part of the recession regarding jobs. And Florida unemployment numbers are extremely high in most of the state. Higher than in most places that you live in.

The "things are bad all over" adage some of you have adopted is NOT true. In a few places in this country, it is quite good, in a bit more, it is okay, in a lot of the country it is pretty bad, and then there are some places where it is equal to "NO ONE IS HIRING, including Walmart and the storefront telemarketer that always had a permanent ad running." Most of Florida is in that category.

Stop spinning your wheels. Your time could be spent with more important things like whittling, wood-burning or getting a Plan B together.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 AM

162 posts, read 677,517 times
The last thing you want to do is be deceitful with a potential employer from the beginning - even if it is to get your foot in the door for an interview. It's one thing if you are in a position to pack up and move within the usual two week turn around period before accepting a job. If that isn't an issue then by all means use the address on your resume. Besides, many top employers have those "I swear under penalty of law that the information I have provided is true and accurate"..... If you're looking for a job at Walmart it doesn't much matter. If you're trying to get a job with a financial or investment type company, that type of dishonesty will scratch you right off the list.

There are so many over qualified people here out of work that employers don't want to wait for a person to relocate. We moved here four years ago but did own property here, we just weren't living here. My husband used our Florida property address on his resumes and we switched our cell phone numbers to Florida also. Again, we knew we were going anyway - with our without jobs because we were financially set to do so. We were in a position at that time to pack up and move at a moment's notice. My husband didn't need to tell prospective employers anything. He was eventually able to transfer with his own company - but had to do so in that same two week time period for them to hold the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida