U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 11,309 times
Default Best places to move to in Florida???

I am a 31 year old single father with a 10 year old son and have been thinking about moving to FL for a few years now but i am finally in a position financially to where i feel like i can finally attempt the move. I am looking for opinions on where we should be looking...Need to be close to a beach and i am assuming a city due to the fact that i work in IT. I am also interested in finding suitable areas to raise a child...good schools etc. We are a very active family from sports, boating, wave runners, bike riding. Affordable housing is also a concern as i currently paying $2000 a month for a 4 bedroom 2500sqft house where i currently live in virginia beach. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 PM

794 posts, read 1,308,300 times
Hey there fellow Virginian, Lake Mary is about 45 to and hour to the beach has good schools and a few IT companies located on International Parkway.

Fiserve, Symantec just to name a couple.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,705,124 times
The best place to move is where you will have a job.

Find the job first, then housing, in that order.

If you have several solid job offers then we can help narrow it down.

These days the job location determines where you live.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 11,309 times
Finding a job is not really an issue as i am a Self-Employed consultant and plan on retaining my clients when i move as they are located up and down the east coast. I am mainly looking to move for the weather and the fact that i feel like the cost of living in virginia beach is way to high for what it is.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM

7,169 posts, read 11,911,338 times
it depends on what your looking for...If your interested in South Florida there is Weston, Cooper City, parkland and Boca Raton...Schools are really good in any of these areas so you cant go wrong for your son...also located near the Turnpike and or 95 with lots of restaurants and close to the beach...

good Luck to you

Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM

11,502 posts, read 8,077,646 times
Jobs and schools top priority.

Then you have to think of who will be watching or caring for your 10 year old when you are at work etc.

Take your time and research like crazy.

The care and safety of your son is the most important issue I would think.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:46 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,651,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnvabch View Post
I am a 31 year old single father with a 10 year old son and have been thinking about moving to FL for a few years now but i am finally in a position financially to where i feel like i can finally attempt the move. I am looking for opinions on where we should be looking...Need to be close to a beach and i am assuming a city due to the fact that i work in IT. I am also interested in finding suitable areas to raise a child...good schools etc. We are a very active family from sports, boating, wave runners, bike riding. Affordable housing is also a concern as i currently paying $2000 a month for a 4 bedroom 2500sqft house where i currently live in virginia beach. Thanks!
I would look at the pan handle coast. It has everything. The beaches and you go just a little north and it is rural, you can hike fish, bike ride, camp all kinds of outdoor activities. You have a change of seasons and you are also not so detached from the rest of the country. You are just a few hour drive from other states. I live in south Florida and it is like being on an island you feel so far from everyplace.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:40 PM

4,491 posts, read 8,171,573 times
The thing with the western Panhandle is that you've got 95% of the conveniences of a big city, and good airport options if you don't mind connecting flights, but if you need something from the Big City, it's a solid 3+ hour drive one way to New Orleans.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM

694 posts, read 788,261 times
Northern St Johns County

-Suburbs of Jacksonville
-Great Schools
-Close to Beach
-Outdoor Recreation on St. Johns River
-Ponte Vedra Beach if you can afford it
-NW areas of county good as well

Old 02-08-2010, 06:27 AM

599 posts, read 1,014,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
The best place to move is where you will have a job.

Find the job first, then housing, in that order.

If you have several solid job offers then we can help narrow it down.

These days the job location determines where you live.
I know you're probably trying to be helpful, but has it ever occurred to you and the many others who chastise those of us planning a move, that we've probably thought all of that out? Finding a job right now isn't easy anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida