Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times

Advertisements

For someone on a North Philly budget, I wouldn't be so picky to exclude Brevard/Volusia counties! You'd be lucky to find something in your price range, that's safe and where your kids could learn to read! And, I don't think you've possibly considered your HOA fees and Contents Homeowners insurance in your budget.

The only area of Pinellas I think you could afford would be around USF in Temple Terrace. (But don't look for any sympathy from your complex mgmt/HOA that you're working 2 jobs and there's a Frat/Sorority Mixer in your complex w/ loud music till 2am! ). After all, they're NOT working but can still afford the same housing as you!

If you're from a major city, did you factor that the areas you can afford near Metro Orlando will close down by 9pm, if in fact there's even a grocery or restaurant nearby? (Waffle House off the Interstates are ALWAYS open as your option past these times. )

I'd say go for the "double wide" in the interior areas you're trying to avoid. (That's where you'll end up anyway!). Like Winter Haven, Bartow, Sebring, Arcadia, LaBelle and Lehigh Acres.

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 02-09-2010 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
For someone on a North Philly budget, I wouldn't be so picky to exclude Brevard/Volusia counties! You'd be lucky to find something in your price range, that's safe and where your kids could learn to read! And, I don't think you've possibly considered your HOA fees and Contents Homeowners insurance in your budget.

The only area of Pinellas I think you could afford would be around USF in Temple Terrace. (But don't look for any sympathy from your complex mgmt/HOA that you're working 2 jobs and there's a Frat/Sorority Mixer in your complex w/ loud music till 2am! ). After all, they're NOT working but can still afford the same housing as you!

If you're from a major city, did you factor that the areas you can afford near Metro Orlando will close down by 9pm, if in fact there's even a grocery or restaurant nearby? (Waffle House off the Interstates are ALWAYS open as your option past these times. )

I'd say go for the "double wide" in the interior areas you're trying to avoid. (That's where you'll end up anyway!). Like Winter Haven, Bartow, Sebring, Arcadia, LaBelle and Lehigh Acres.

Good Luck!
Wow, hostile much?

I have done quite a bit of research thank you (apparently you haven't) and learned through that research that there are three separate areas I can consider where there are condos in my price range. They're nice, safe and not in student oriented housing or double-wides. Metro Orlando was never mentioned in my original post so not sure where you're getting that from. In fact your comprehension seems off altogether. I said in my OP that I was single, and later said married because the standard MO for this site is to ignore single posters and fall all over married w/kids posters with multiple responses. That proved to be the correct assumption. And thanks, you did reinforce my belief about Daytona/Volusia County, you're a shining example.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I'm late chiming in, but my vote is for the St. Pete/Tampa Bay area. There are a lot of options here, and great Gulf beaches. There should be plenty of 55+ condos in St. Pete, but not sure about the price range. And the whole Tampa Bay area is diverse with lots to do.

I do admit that I know very little about the area on the other coast you mentioned, but have heard good things about that region. So I guess it would boil down to whether you prefer coastal sunsets or sunrises.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
OP, I also read in another post in this forum that you used to live in Florida?

Where did you grow up?

If I were you and wanted to be close to your parents I would go the area that would be closer to them with the things you want.

I am dealing with a sick parent right now I know that as they get older they will need you more and more. Being far away from them would be an issue.

Buying a condo to far away from them might be a big mistake.

I believe you have your own interest, finding something with your likes close to them might just save you some headaches down the road.

I have been researching homes and real estate in Florida for more then a year and just do not see you finding anything decent for 75k close to the ocean.

I might be wrong but 75k might be somewhat tough as others have mentioned.

If I were you I would rent first since you have been away from Florida for 30 years or more.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
If I was in your situation I would consider Tampa/Pinellas. I lived in Tampa when I went to USF (80s) and I loved it. I also spent a good deal of time working in Pinellas. Although that was long ago, I think in general the area would be a good fit.

Tampa is more business/industrial oriented than Pinellas. Pinellas is more retirement oriented. Traffic is brutal in Pinellas in the winter. It's bad in Tampa, too, but not as bad as Pinellas. I don't know about condo prices.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
They're in Lake Mary, outside of Orlando. I wanted a coastal location as I am not a big fan of the climate of the interior section of the state. A 2 to 2.5 hour drive is fine with me, which is reflected in the three choices given. There's also such a thing as too close. No offense, but I'm not a fan of Volusia or Brevard, as I see you're from Daytona. Thanks for any input you may have about the areas mentioned.
Just wondering why you are not a big fan of Volusia or Brevard counties? I'm not being defensive about it, I'm not from there, never even been except to Daytona once many years ago.

I hear there are several great towns to live like Ormond Beach, Port Orange, and New Smyrna Beach in Volusia, and Satellite Beach, Indianlantic, and Indian Harbour Beach in Brevard. Many great reviews about them on this site and they come up on the "best places to live and retire" lists.

According to GreatSchools.net Volusia County's, Seabreeze HS gets a 9 out of 10 rating. While Satellite Senior HS in Satellite Beach (Brevard County) is one of several in the county with a 10 out of 10 rating.

I'm sure you have your reasons why you are not keen on the area, I would be interested to get your take on it.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Just wondering why you are not a big fan of Volusia or Brevard counties? I'm not being defensive about it, I'm not from there, never even been except to Daytona once many years ago.

I hear there are several great towns to live like Ormond Beach, Port Orange, and New Smyrna Beach in Volusia, and Satellite Beach, Indianlantic, and Indian Harbour Beach in Brevard. Many great reviews about them on this site and they come up on the "best places to live and retire" lists.

According to GreatSchools.net Volusia County's, Seabreeze HS gets a 9 out of 10 rating. While Satellite Senior HS in Satellite Beach (Brevard County) is one of several in the county with a 10 out of 10 rating.

I'm sure you have your reasons why you are not keen on the area, I would be interested to get your take on it.
I used to live in Seminole County and was close enough to both counties that I just developed a dislike for not only those areas but most of what is considered Central Florida. Particularly Daytona Beach which to me is semi-skeevy most of the time, even more so during Bike Week and the 500, etc. It's kind of a circus side-show and not exactly kid-friendly. I'm not a bible-thumper (far from it) but I don't want to live in that.

I always thought of Ormond Beach as too sleepy and strangely elitist, and too close to Daytona.

Port Orange seems nice but when the big city draw is Daytona Beach, not so much.

New Smyrna Beach seems somewhat nice but is also run-down in areas.

Satellite Beach is similar to New Smyrna Beach.

I don't know much about Indianlantic or Indian Harbour Beach, but outside of Merritt Island and parts of Melbourne I haven't seen much of Brevard I like, so I never bothered to explore there. They're a bit removed from bigger city amenities as well....unless you count Melbourne as a "big city".

Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 PM

35 posts, read 100,103 times
Default Satellite Beach :) gets my vote

I love Satellite Beach. Really low crime, excellent schools. Condos are really affordable, and 200k for a 3 bd home will get you a block or two from the water. Satellite Beach is mainly single family homes and just a nice neighborhood. Locals are very friendly too. Only 1 hotel on the beach, not very touristy just made for families, retirees and those not looking for the night life circus. Future community re-development restrictions ensure that it will remain that way as well. Very "Mayberry" and they want to keep it that way. Most of the homes are older, many are updated and a few are just plain ugly, not as shiny new as some would like, but it is a classic "Old Florida" beach town. Check it out online... it's a steal and by the beach! I know you don't need the schools but nothing beats excellent schools when it comes time to sell your property. It's not like New Smyrna, or Cocoa Beach at all. Good luck to you!

Last edited by SuperMom...; 03-16-2010 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: a more complete answer

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM

35 posts, read 100,103 times
Funny how many posters on here think a) you have kids d) you are 55 or older...
What type of business are you starting as that may affect where you choose to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida