U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM

929 posts, read 877,217 times

Advertisements

wow.
_blown away_
got back from orlando over the weekend.
did seaworld, epcot, wekiva springs

5 hours away. how could 2 cities be any more different.
ill throw some pictures up later.
we had to visit america at epcot to say we'd been there =)

orlando IS still the US and i think its got a fighting chance of staying that way for awhile.

went on Soarin' at epcot, literally wept. had to put my sunglasses on.
the sort of melancholy feeling when you know youve made such a horrible mistake moving somewhere nice to somewhere that is a living hell.

yes the lovebugs are a little annoying and they get stuck all over your car but the weather was nice, people were friendly, polite.
customer service people were knowledgable.
it partially restored our faith in humanity.
its nice to know that its only this place that is the nightmare.

at first we felt very disoriented. it looked like a US city. while being there in my mind i could only compare miami to dubai. miami is bright, sunny and beautiful but plagued with every vice known to man and boiling with hate.
orlando felt like the US i know.

we may consider skipping trying out broward completely and moving to orlando. sure ill have to give up the tropical fruit stuff but ill be able to drive to the keys for a 3 day weekend to dive or snorkel.
my girlfriend refers to miami now as 'the handbasket' as in the saying going to hell in a handbasket. we live in 'the handbasket'.

we heard songs on the radio in dennys from groups we hadnt even known had put out new cds. its like we've been living in a time capsule being in miami. a reality below what everyone else is experiencing. CUSTOMER SERVICE! FRIENDLY PEOPLE! omg how i miss that.

came back and heard all my coworkers telling me about the shooting at lincoln road.

yeah we want to move. we'd like to take a couple trips up there first to make sure. maybe we can get everything in order before my lease is up in march 2008.

im bewildered by something though. i have so many questions
WHY do the latins here not want what they see in orlando for themselves?
restaurants with reasonable prices, customer service, knowlegable and friendly people?
why do they do all they can to hate each other and create the hell that miami is?
why do they live here in the poverty and dont mind it when only 5 hours north is a model of a lifestyle so much better than they're living and suffering in right now?

ill post more later.
orlando blew me away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 02:53 PM

if we're not careful here. this could be us. im buying a firearm.

Home invasion victim recounts incident - 05/17/2007 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

homestead is much too close to florida city.

john1963, if you arent outraged by what this city is nowadays you're part of the problem and one of those sinister, corrupt, and shady people everyones complaining about

Old 05-29-2007, 03:10 PM

184 posts, read 552,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
wow.
_blown away_
got back from orlando over the weekend.
did seaworld, epcot, wekiva springs

5 hours away. how could 2 cities be any more different.
ill throw some pictures up later.
we had to visit america at epcot to say we'd been there =)

orlando IS still the US and i think its got a fighting chance of staying that way for awhile.

went on Soarin' at epcot, literally wept. had to put my sunglasses on.
the sort of melancholy feeling when you know youve made such a horrible mistake moving somewhere nice to somewhere that is a living hell.

yes the lovebugs are a little annoying and they get stuck all over your car but the weather was nice, people were friendly, polite.
customer service people were knowledgable.
it partially restored our faith in humanity.
its nice to know that its only this place that is the nightmare.

at first we felt very disoriented. it looked like a US city. while being there in my mind i could only compare miami to dubai. miami is bright, sunny and beautiful but plagued with every vice known to man and boiling with hate.
orlando felt like the US i know.

we may consider skipping trying out broward completely and moving to orlando. sure ill have to give up the tropical fruit stuff but ill be able to drive to the keys for a 3 day weekend to dive or snorkel.
my girlfriend refers to miami now as 'the handbasket' as in the saying going to hell in a handbasket. we live in 'the handbasket'.

we heard songs on the radio in dennys from groups we hadnt even known had put out new cds. its like we've been living in a time capsule being in miami. a reality below what everyone else is experiencing. CUSTOMER SERVICE! FRIENDLY PEOPLE! omg how i miss that.

came back and heard all my coworkers telling me about the shooting at lincoln road.

yeah we want to move. we'd like to take a couple trips up there first to make sure. maybe we can get everything in order before my lease is up in march 2008.

im bewildered by something though. i have so many questions
WHY do the latins here not want what they see in orlando for themselves?
restaurants with reasonable prices, customer service, knowlegable and friendly people?
why do they do all they can to hate each other and create the hell that miami is?
why do they live here in the poverty and dont mind it when only 5 hours north is a model of a lifestyle so much better than they're living and suffering in right now?

ill post more later.
orlando blew me away.
I have always liked Orlando and yes it does feel like you are in the U.S. ... there are a few constant complainers on the Orlando forum ... such as Nirvana - Guy who has issues .... but all in all Orlando is a great place . Did you get downtown on Church Street , they have an awesome downtown in Orlando as well as some very nice suburbs and you are only an hour away from New Smryna Beach if you want to enjoy the ocean . Not as many Latins as Miami , in fact many of the latins are nice tourists . Many Latins are Puerto Rican , but most are friendly and most have done well for themselves in Orlando . Yes , Orlando does have its crappy ghetto areas , but which cities do not and why would you go there anyhow ?

CIxel , you might want to check out Tampa as well , you have more job opportunities in the Tampa , Clearwater , St.Pete area than in Orlando plus some beautiful suburbs and and awesome beaches as well . Downtown Tampa is really growing and has good nightlife , check it out before moving to Orlando .

Old 05-29-2007, 07:00 PM

31 posts, read 109,498 times
CiXeL! A fellow person in South Florida/Miami area that finally has good things to say about Orlando! After all the negativity towards Orlando I thought the place was Detroit or something! LOL! But I think the majority of these people aren't from a bigger city than Orlando or have lived the majority of their life in Miami (lived there the first 18 years of my life and now have lived in Pembroke Pines for nearly 10 years). Pembroke Pines is still nice mind you, but living here for 28 years I just honestly have gotten tired of So Fla on a whole. The couple times I've been to Orlando I've liked it and I plan on going again but this time to actually look at apartments get a feel for the area, not just as a tourist.

I don't like calling people racist or prejudice but it seems many of them on this forum are. I saw one person make a comment towards jamaicans saying something like "Jamaican's aren't refugees why are they even allowed here" My whole family is from Jamaica but I was born and raised here and I was taken back by that comment and I've seen so many bad comments about hispanics and other races (that are not white) from some of these people, it's kinda scary that many people still think this way. I personally do not want to live in a city that is just one race, I want somewhere that diverse! Sorry about the rant, but I felt it had to be said!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,476,877 times
Not all of Orlando is beautiful looking you know... but I knew many people that live here in Palm Beach County who have moved up there so something must be great up there. They say they like it better there too. Hmm...

Old 05-29-2007, 07:51 PM

44 posts, read 205,163 times
Having lived in both places...currently in Miami but lived in Orlando for about 7 years...most of the family is still there, I can tell you each city is very different. I could totally see how some people might LOVE Orlando, it's very nice to raise kids and own a home in a suburb. However, if you're young and want an active night life, there isn't much of that there. There are only a few places downtown and believe me, you will get bored.

So to each its own I guess...but if you're young and want to have fun Miami is definitely the place to be! Long term quiet environment and easy place to live, definitely Orlando.

If you really hate Miami as much as it sounds though, why don't you move already???? I mean seriously, it sounds like it's causing you psychological harm to stay here. It's definitely not for everybody, nowhere is, so if you're unhappy...move on.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 PM

orlando gets concerts we dont get in miami, they have museums, lots of theme parks (naturally).
ive never been the clubbing/bar type person anyways. after doing the whole rave thing in 2000-2001 pretty much anything after that seems tame and boring by comparison.
miami seems the land of terrible vices to me. you see people trashing their lives and you know none of it is going to end well.

again, im trapped by a lease until march 2008. thats why i cant move immediately. the psychological harm is already done. that happens to most people after 6 months of miami. im 2+ years now.

now if only i could find a yard large enough and build a greenhouse to grow my tropical trees in. theres enough room for a boat, etc. the yards i saw there were pretty large.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,950,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post
I don't like calling people racist or prejudice but it seems many of them on this forum are.
So very true!!!

Old 05-29-2007, 10:40 PM

31 posts, read 109,498 times
By the way from reading up a bit on these forums some fairly positive things have been said about Oviedo which is Northwest of Orlando. Housing seems to be a fairly affordable over there too. (of course anything is affordable to us in South Florida! LOL)

In regards to rentals in Oviedo also this one seems to also be pretty nice at a decent price: Loma Vista in Oviedo, FL (Loma Vista)

Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 AM

184 posts, read 552,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Not all of Orlando is beautiful looking you know... but I knew many people that live here in Palm Beach County who have moved up there so something must be great up there. They say they like it better there too. Hmm...

What city anywhere in the world is all beautiful looking ... even Paris has ghettos and crappy areas !!!

I was in Houston and San Antonio last week on business ... perfect example of two cities with lovely areas and also nasty areas , you have to live with the good and bad !!

Some of the expectations and priorities expressed on these forums are mind boggling !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or