Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 AM

284 posts, read 981,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
The latest cold snap has killed a lot,
They did a test on the snakes and it showed they can handle freezing weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Venomous snakes ARE a real danger, but these pose little real danger to humans.
You should really educate yourself with these pythons , if bitten by a rattle or another venomous snake you go to the ER and walk away , if bitten by a python and find the snake coiling around you start praying because more than likely not going to survive ( a 8' python can kill a human , imagine a 15-20 footer)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 08:29 AM

110 posts, read 548,520 times
Default Can't count this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
They've got them as far north as The Villages.Thats where that big one got the little girl. I'm pretty sure that's what got them going on that Python hunting craze.
Note that you can't count this one. That Python did not migrate. It was the family "pet" that killed the little girl when it was irresponsibly left to escape from it's cage.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,743,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Just curious...How far north can the Burmese Python (that were recently introduced to Florida) migrate to? I understand that they are close to Tampa now. Can they colonize all of Florida? Could they spread even further north? How far will they eventually go?
My next door neighbor found a Python (dont know which one) in her yard a couple years ago. SHes out in the woods in The Panhandle. Could have been a Pet that got out , or, not. I hear because of the freezing weather in the Everglades a couple weeks ago, that there is a huge mass graveyard of dead snakes and alligators there now .

Old 02-12-2010, 01:52 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
They did a test on the snakes and it showed they can handle freezing weather

You should really educate yourself with these pythons , if bitten by a rattle or another venomous snake you go to the ER and walk away , if bitten by a python and find the snake coiling around you start praying because more than likely not going to survive ( a 8' python can kill a human , imagine a 15-20 footer)
I have owned snakes that big. You have been watching too many movies. Other then a small child they pose almost no threat. In fact it is hard to even get them to coil around you they are more interested in escaping. Their bite can be pretty bad though. The teeth are like razors. If they lunge at you even without grabbing you, and it will always be in defense as they try to get away, if the teeth bump you they cut. You are giving the attributes they just don't have, they are not intelligent animals. You can own one for 20 years and I don't think it even knows who you are. I had one that liked to sleep in bed with me but it was just the warmth, it didn't have a clue who I was.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:01 PM

284 posts, read 981,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I have owned snakes that big. You have been watching too many movies. Other then a small child they pose almost no threat. In fact it is hard to even get them to coil around you they are more interested in escaping. Their bite can be pretty bad though. The teeth are like razors. If they lunge at you even without grabbing you, and it will always be in defense as they try to get away, if the teeth bump you they cut. You are giving the attributes they just don't have, they are not intelligent animals. You can own one for 20 years and I don't think it even knows who you are. I had one that liked to sleep in bed with me but it was just the warmth, it didn't have a clue who I was.
I'm not a movie person I was watching a show the other day on Discovery or Animal Planet and it was about the pythons and they are amazing creatures and can see why so many people have them as pets . Do you currently have any ?

Found it ...http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/explorer/4817/Overview (broken link)

Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
I'm not a movie person I was watching a show the other day on Discovery or Animal Planet and it was about the pythons and they are amazing creatures and can see why so many people have them as pets . Do you currently have any ?
The last one I had a Columbian Red tailed Boa, died at 20 about 2 year ago. It died of kidney failure. The real problem with them as pets they live so long as much as 25 or 30 years and certain breeds get pretty big and expensive to feed. Like all my pets I never get them on purpose they just seem to end up with me. My comment with the movies was the way they demonize snakes in the movies and other animals as well. I remember a James Bond movie where a snake gets in his bed. It is obviously just a harmless Boa that doesn't even have fangs. Yet they have him laying there sweating as the harmless snake slides across him. To the public a snake is a snake and to be feared and killed. The snakes taking hold in Florida only pose a threat to the natural balance, not to people that is the concern.

I have to come back an add this. I don't want to minimize the capabilities of a large snake. I have had even smaller snakes wrap around my arm and hold on tight, they are very strong. My point is they don't attack people. Your neighbors dog I am sure can maul you and easily kill a kid. You don't run around exterminating all dogs because of what they are capable of. You don't do this with other living things as well. It is not a snakes nature to attack for any reason other then food and even then they can be timid. I have seen snakes run from a rat because it bites them. They go the corner of the cage and won't go near it again. Snakes are real cowards.

You have seen on the news them getting a hugh snake from under say a house. It is all they can do to get it out. They don't have some kind of battle with it, the job is trying to get it out. Then you see them posing with it for the cameras and even then they line up holding it and you never see it trying to coil around anybody.

Last edited by mango23; 02-12-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,999,137 times
Snakes may not migrate, but they will expand their range as pressure for food increases. That is simply how things live.

They may not kill every human they see, but they are an invasive apex predator and will irreparably damage the ecosystem.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 20,761 times
Some of you people that say these snakes are harmless is nutty as hell. If it slithers, it can travel anywhere it feels like going. I hate it when people that love snakes assumes everyone should love snakes. I hate the slithery, beady eye, cold blooded serpents. They're harmless my arze, guessing that is why they kill people and pets. I pray that someone give those poor people the $350 to get rid of serpents under their house. As for them over populating the everglades, I say kill em all.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbug66 View Post
Some of you people that say these snakes are harmless is nutty as hell. If it slithers, it can travel anywhere it feels like going. I hate it when people that love snakes assumes everyone should love snakes. I hate the slithery, beady eye, cold blooded serpents. They're harmless my arze, guessing that is why they kill people and pets. I pray that someone give those poor people the $350 to get rid of serpents under their house. As for them over populating the everglades, I say kill em all.
You say in one of your posts you are terrified of snakes, it is pretty much reflected in this post as well. That's fine, but assuming others should adopt what are your phobias is a little crazy. You have a phobia about snakes so that translates in your mind to everyone else must also be as afraid as you? I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that. If you are afraid of flying, which does represents a real danger, no one else should fly in your mind???????? Strange. Do you listen to yourself? You have only made 7 postings and 6 revolve around your fear of snakes.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:58 PM

123 posts, read 357,588 times
Maybe pythons will start feeding on the estimated 500,000 wild hogs running amok in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida