Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 AM

20 posts, read 64,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've lived in the capital District area of NY, the greater Syracuse area, and central NJ. I had no problems making friends here. I overall didn't find the culture all that different, although the town I settled in has a large number of transplanted northerners. I had no problem finding every food item here that you can get up north except Lupo's speedie sauce. Pizza is iffy. Beef hard to come by? You're joking, right? There are a ton of cattle ranches in FL.
Sorry, I think the beef thing was GA... I heard everything is pork there in the supermarkets.

Good info., thanks. What area are you in now? I would imagine from the statistics I've seen, there are quite a few NE transplants throught the FL areas.

Last edited by richord; 02-14-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
Sorry, I think the beef thing was GA... I heard everything is pork there in the supermarkets.

Good info., thanks. What area are you in now? I would imagine from the statistics I've seen, there are quite a few NE transplants throught the FL areas.
I'm in a western suburb of Orlando.

I've spent time in GA, I promise they do not discriminate against cows there.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The idea of nearby areas with random crime does seem a bit intimidating. Does anyone know if there is a map/graphical representation that would kind of show where these areas are throughout the Jacksonville area?

I know there are places in NJ that I have accidentally turned down a wrong street and did not feel comfortable at all. How easy is it to avoid all of these intertwined areas?

Even though I would rather not live in a gated community, in FL this may be something for me to consider...

I'm also wondering if I lived in Yulee FL and was employed in Brunswick GA - would I have to pay GA income tax?

Interesting about the traffic situation. I think Yulee FL to Bruswick GA is roughly a 45 - 50 min. commute on mapquest, but now I'm a bit concerned that it might be like 1 hr. and 20 min. with traffic? The Brunswick job would be early morning (5:30 - 6:00am) travel, so perhaps this would help?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm in a western suburb of Orlando.

I've spent time in GA, I promise they do not discriminate against cows there.
That's good to know. I don't like discrimination!

You mentioned breathing clean air... I know on the statistics, the air is rating better. Is this something that you typically notice?

What about smoking in public places. I like the fact that NJ has the ban on smoking now, but of course when you enter these establishments, you have to hold your breath as you approach the entrances and exits because all of the smokers are there.

Where in GA did you spend some time and how would you describe the difference in culture/atmosphere?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
That's good to know. I don't like discrimination!

You mentioned breathing clean air... I know on the statistics, the air is rating better. Is this something that you typically notice?
Unless we have brush fires, the air quality is definitely better here than in NJ.

Quote:
What about smoking in public places. I like the fact that NJ has the ban on smoking now, but of course when you enter these establishments, you have to hold your breath as you approach the entrances and exits because all of the smokers are there.
No smoking in restaurants, malls, airports, offices, etc. Some nightclubs still allow it, some don't. That's really the only time You'll encounter it. To be honest, I'd say half the people I know who are smokers have quit in the past year or so.

Quote:
Where in GA did you spend some time and how would you describe the difference in culture/atmosphere?
I've got friends in the Atlanta/Marietta area, which is pretty cosmopolitan, and a lot of ex-northerners there, so probably not the best comparision.

It gets funny when they predict a couple of snow flakes down here. You can tell the southerners from the former northerners, because the southerners panic and clear the shelves in teh grocery store.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Ok, here is something that I'm curious about... Alligators. Typically I see some horror stories on the news or a huge one found their way onto someones porch.

I spoke with someone who lives in FL and they said they only had one come into their shop once in like 5 years.

How likely is it that you will encounter Alligators in NE FL? We love beaches, fishing and boating and this concerns me a bit. What is it really like?

I've also heard that snakes are a problem and insects are huge as compared to the NE.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:09 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,179 times
We moved to Marion County from Bayonne, NJ (Hudson County). Our real estate taxes here are a bit under $2900 yearly, as opposed to nearly $9K in Bayonne (2500 SF house on 1.16 acres here, as opposed to a 5-room brick ranch on a 50 x 100 lot in Bayonne). Homeowners' insurance? $100 less here with much higher coverage ($500K liability as opposed to $300K). Car insurance? Half what we paid in NJ.

It cost us over $800 to get Florida titles and registrations for our two cars, which was a huge shock (I thought NJ was bad). Gasoline is more, and you have to pump your own. But Ocala has a couple of great NY-style pizza places (Vito's, and Pavarotti's, both on Rt 200).

And I miss my easy access to Costco. Back in NJ, we had 4 within 35 minutes. Now we have to drive 90 minutes to the nearest one, in Orlando.

If you survived a NJ summer, you can live in Florida. When I was here for our closing last August, it was actually cooler in Ocala than it was back in Bayonne, and the humidity was the same.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:55 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Hi I used to live in Princeton area of NJ and now in Boca Raton FL. I have never been to Georgia. My thoughts on traffic is that in the winter time you need to allow extra time. The spring/summer it is different. Even at restaurants you go from standing in line for a 1/2 hour to no wait. I rent but overall I do not feel it is cheaper in FL then NJ but it may be the area I chose to live in and the renting aspect. Many of the gated communities have very high HOA fees so that is something one needs to factor in. The weather in FL does take a toll in the summer after awhile but to me it is still better then the cold/snow. Everyone is different though in terms of what bothers them. My issue with FL is that within 2 miles it can go from safe to not really. So when you find a place I encourage you to drive around the area to get a feel. Good luck in your choice

Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Hi I used to live in Princeton area of NJ and now in Boca Raton FL. I have never been to Georgia. My thoughts on traffic is that in the winter time you need to allow extra time. The spring/summer it is different. Even at restaurants you go from standing in line for a 1/2 hour to no wait. I rent but overall I do not feel it is cheaper in FL then NJ but it may be the area I chose to live in and the renting aspect. Many of the gated communities have very high HOA fees so that is something one needs to factor in. The weather in FL does take a toll in the summer after awhile but to me it is still better then the cold/snow. Everyone is different though in terms of what bothers them. My issue with FL is that within 2 miles it can go from safe to not really. So when you find a place I encourage you to drive around the area to get a feel. Good luck in your choice
Thanks. I'm not familiar with the costs associated with that area in FL. I know that you about 3 hours or so from the Jacksonville area. Financially speaking, the JAX area would be much more reasonable to purchase housing than in NJ.

I'm really getting concerned about the scattered crime though.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:20 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
Quote:
I'm really getting concerned about the scattered crime though.
I live in an Orlando "Suburb", and am leaving after 7 years to go back to CT. I just could not find a suburban incorporated town with the following:

1. Crime rate under 100 within the entire town boundary lines.
2. Good schools paid for and maintained by the town itself (so kids from areas outside of the town lines do not get bused in).
3. Within 15 minutes to a city with above average health care, dining (majority non-chain), and entertainment options.
4. A 30 minute or less commute to my job without having to pay tolls.
5. Older established neighborhood
6. No walmart within the town limits

There were other factors for me as well, but this was the main criteria I was looking for.

I just couldn't find it here, and I lived in Orange, Polk, and Osceola counties. I have researched Seminole, Brevard, and Lake counties as well. Merritt Island was a consideration as was the Wekiva\Sweetwater area of Longwood, but just too far out there from my job. Plus the school zones are subject to change and that is a chance I did not want to take.

If you put your family's safety and education as top priority above all else on your "list", I would try and make it work somewhere in the Tri-State area. I myself will be renting in CT at first until I can come across a "deal". And at that point I will have no problem paying higher property taxes because I will still be saving thousands of dollars every year on what I would be paying for private school down here. As well as in my opinion a better quality of life for my family.

So if you are thinking of private school down here like I was, think of the savings in tuition for 2 kids every year vs. what you would pay in the difference for higher property taxes up there. And if you rent, your that much more ahead of the game too.

Just another perspective to perhaps take into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida