U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:09 PM

5,701 posts, read 16,980,536 times
See below at few tips from the web;

spread a light film of baby oil over the front of the hood, above the windshield and on the grill and bumper. This practice will make their removal a simpler task.

Gatorback Automotive Protection System utilizes the latest in nano-technology to provide your vehicle's finish with an amazing maintenance-free protective layer. Water is repelled from the surface even better than a freshly waxed finish and dirt is washed off easily by a simple rinse or a rainstorm. Your paint is protected from the ravages of insects, chemicals and dirt. Simply wash your vehicle with a hose and watch the dirt and bugs roll away. More stubborn dirt and insect remains can be easily removed with a soft cloth and water.

Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Just some warm water and rub and they come off real easy. Hope that helps someone out there.

dryer sheets to remove squished lovebugs from his car.

little degreaser on the windshield and bumper, let that set for a minute or two and the love bugs should wipe clean!

“Pam cooking spray” on the nose and mirrors of your car at the first sign of love bugs.

Baking Soda and water. It will take the bugs off.

Rain-X on the windows makes for much cleaner glass, even when you don’t have a chance to wash, they leave much less mess.

add 1/2 cup lamp oil to our bucket of wash water it removes them with ease and doesn’t streak windshield.Gives car a beautiful shine!!

High pressure washer works most of the time. You can also get bug and tar remover for the car, that works too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 53,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Yesterday I drove East out Fruitville Rd. in Sarasota, almost to Myakka. For those of you not familiar with this area, it is a 2 lane road out in the middle of next to nowhere.

I have lived in FL since the early '80's and have never seen the Love Bugs this bad. My windshield was so plastered I could hardly see, and there was a good inch thick layer on my front bumper.

Being much too lazy to wash my car when I got home, I left it until this morning. I was dreading scrubbing those blasted bugs off. Then I remembered a tip that someone told me a few weeks ago. I laughed when I heard it, but I tried it anyway.

I was told that if I got the bugs wet and then wiped them with a used dryer sheet they would come right off. My friend was right! After I blasted as much of them off with the hose as I could I grabbed a couple of old dryer sheets out of the trash can in the laundry room. They ABSOLUTELY just wipe right off-windshield, backs of the mirrors, hood. The bumper took 2 sheets, but they were gone in less than 5 minutes.

I am now wondering why nobody told me this 20 years ago. I just thought I would share.

Pamalive dish soap and elbow grease takes them right off, doesn't matter how long they've been stuck on there. Don't put all kinds of chemicals on your paint, you'll ruin it.My husband does body work and you would be suprised at the things that ruin your paint. The ingredient that softens your hands in Pamalive is what works at taking the bugs off. Trust me.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:27 PM

73 posts, read 281,376 times
Any kind of dish detergent will remove the wax from your car's surface !!! Please use car wash instead.....

Old 01-24-2009, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 49,450 times
Default Why not use something that's made for removing LoveBugs?

Not trying to dampen someones ideas, but oil on my paint job? No way, in the Florida sun, oil cooks, any kind of oil.
The resale value of my car is important to me so I don't want it to have tiny pits in the paint job from some stupid bug.
I have bought and used Lovebug Cleaner, the stuff works and works well. It's not expensive like a lot of other "bug" removers, $6 bucks for a canister, worth it. I got a couple of buddies together and we split the UPS to get it to us, came out to be about $7 each, again, worth it.
Learn some history and what they can do to your paint job at [URL="http://www.lovebugcleaner.com"]www.lovebugcleaner.com[/URL]

Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 AM

448 posts, read 898,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Wd-40 Works Really Good Also!
does it leave a greasy film on your car?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:51 AM

803 posts, read 1,939,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvy14871 View Post
Not trying to dampen someones ideas, but oil on my paint job? No way, in the Florida sun, oil cooks, any kind of oil.
The resale value of my car is important to me so I don't want it to have tiny pits in the paint job from some stupid bug.
I have bought and used Lovebug Cleaner, the stuff works and works well. It's not expensive like a lot of other "bug" removers, $6 bucks for a canister, worth it. I got a couple of buddies together and we split the UPS to get it to us, came out to be about $7 each, again, worth it.
Learn some history and what they can do to your paint job at www.lovebugcleaner.com
Seems like you're trying to sell your product here.

The title of your post says "remove" lovebugs but the product you're selling is a lovebug "cleaner". I don't want clean bugs...I want no bugs.

With that said, oils on paint is not the best idea in Fl. or anywhere else. I show my car and it's a daily driver (a real pain) but many of us will spray on Pledge (No Lemon!!) before travelling in lovebug season and then use Maguires Detail Spray to remove it. Some guys will even put Pledge on the car before the show since it makes the car shine so well. I don't like the greasy film on my black paint though.

Jax Wax makes a great bug zapper available online.

Whatever you use, get the bugs off! Bug goo will pit your paint if left on too long.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 51,134 times
Default All of these tips will work, but not for the reasons you think

All of these tips will work: Water on a dryer fabric softener sheet, WD-40, Palmolive soap on a cloth, etc. But not because there's anything special in any of them that is magically dissolving lovebug jam. It's because you're rehydrating the little ufferers (or rejuicing them), and subsequently they're easier to wipe and wash off. That's why ALL of these work (except the WD-40, which I tried and had zero results from).

Upshot of this: Save your money and quit looking for exotic sheets, towels, goops, soaps, sprays. It's water and a cloth and the secret fluid, elbow grease.

Do the love-bug removal three-step:
1. With a dry cloth or paper towel, first wipe the dry lovebug bodies off the car. You'll get most of the matter off on this step.

2. Rehydrate the remaining lovebug jam. If it's not sunny, windy, and hot out, this is a bit easier because you can do it with a hose (if it's sunny, windy, and/or hot out, the water you spray on will tend to dry up too quickly). A couple actions seem to help: Either keep watering them down, or soak a crummy old towel and lay it on the jam and let it soak for several minutes (the longer and wetter, the better).

3. Then remove the towel if you used one, and wipe the bugs away with it or with some other soft, wet towel. You may at this point need a bit of elbow grease. But there's no avoiding it if they're dried on; SOME elbow grease will be needed. Just keep wiping away. Do some detail work on each spot if you find it necessary (and you will).

Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 PM

9,500 posts, read 9,038,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
Wd-40 Works Really Good Also!
before or after the bug splatter?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 40,494 times
I have used the Lovebug cleaner and it actually works, and also left a wax film on my truck...I used to use the dryer sheets until I found out two things about them, 1 is they have perfume on them, the perfume will eat through your paint and 2 is they are also made of plastic fibers which will in time scratch your paint..so I was checking online for something easier and safer when Icame across Lovebugwipes (which is now Lovebugcleaner) and that crap works and easy too! smells good while your using it also oh and BTW on-the-beach guy..its a cleaner not just a remover! good luck!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,225,920 times
I have a great love bug remover. It takes a very minimal effort on my part and I only spend about a minute of my time to get my entire minivan cleaned of them. All I have to do is say "Hey honey! My van is covered in love bugs. Don't those eat the paint?" I think those must be magic words that just make the bugs jump off because the next time I walk outside, my van is clean. It is the same way I do the laundry, wash dishes, mow the lawn, etc.

You really should try it. It is amazing how well it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida