U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,258,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
LOL, some of the Florida boosters today will be tomorrows unemployed and looking to get out. Whats a couple more percents added to Florida's unemployment rate.

I just dont want people to move down here thinking that life down here is margaritas and sitting in hammocks. Living here is FAR different from vacationing here. I think so many people are under the wrong impression of what it's like living here, thus, they VERY high turnover in population. Here one day, gone the next. I used to like living in FL, it has just turned into a different place.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:26 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,696,687 times
Quote:
LOL, some of the Florida boosters today will be tomorrows unemployed and looking to get out. Whats a couple more percents added to Florida's unemployment rate.

People can become "unemployed" anywhere in the country.

Especially if they are members of struggling or dying fields and industries.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:48 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,696,006 times
Ok, lets be a little more realistic about bugs and gators and all of that. Roaches will most likely be your biggest problem. I've gotten them in every house I've lived in, and we do everything to prevent it, and mosquitos come out in the summer. Gators and snakes are very real problems you need to watch out for, but not to the point of paranoia. Florida has a lot of swamps, rivers, lakes, etc. Gators live in these. A gator shouldn't attack unless it feels comfortable around you. DO NOT FEED THEM. Snakes are also all over. I've only dealt with black racers and a few pigme(?)s. Hopefully that helps a little.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:50 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,696,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
People can become "unemployed" anywhere in the country.

Especially if they are members of struggling or dying fields and industries.
There's a much better chance in states that are above national average. IE: Florida.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,672,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
... how about wearing the same outfit (shorts and flip flops) to the beach in May that you did at Thanksgiving?
Did I die and go to heaven? From beneath two feet of snow here in NYC today, I login to say "Oh boy, Florida here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by Moderate Guy; 02-26-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,696,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
There's a much better chance in states that are above national average. IE: Florida.
Oh?

So those that went to school for health services should be worried as much as those who studied art history or are involved in the real estate trades?

Some idustries thrive more in certain areas. Miami has a better financial services scene than Memphis, and Texas has better real estate and construction services (for now) than Florida, which used to be "the place" for people in real estate related trades.

IT development is better in SoCal than Cleveland, and if you work in hospitality, Fargo might not be the place to be... ever.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:12 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,789,924 times
Quote:
BEEN there done that in NC...will never go back there....I have a friend here who's dh is unemployed very recently and they will NOT be moving out of florida as they are very happy here coming from NJ....

Old 02-26-2010, 02:36 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,391,149 times
YES. I am from D.C./Nova and I decided to move to Tampa to enjoy a different side of the USA. I found it to be uneducated, uncultured, crime ridden, hotter than H, humid, high unemployment, terrible public transportation. The best thing about Florida are the Beaches, but it is too expensive to live on the beach. Otherwise, it is pretty dull.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:03 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,968,487 times
Default Snow melts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Did I die and go to heaven? From beneath two feet of snow here in NYC today, I login to say "Oh boy, Florida here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!"
If you are out of work, when will your job "melt" and come back?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:43 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,258,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
BEEN there done that in NC...will never go back there....I have a friend here who's dh is unemployed very recently and they will NOT be moving out of florida as they are very happy here coming from NJ....

People from NJ think FL is heaven, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or