U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,660,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
To add to all the great replies, I would like to point out what many forget.
Florida is a LARGE state and climate, culture etc can vary greatly depending on where you are.

I lived 5 years in Orlando and had to leave because of circumstances beyond my control. I've spent the last decade coming back to various parts weeks at a time when I could. Now roughly 12 years later with a wife, 2 year old and one on the way, I'm considering heading back. Doing so has had me take some serious personal inventory and honest reflection.

I'm looking to head to Northeast Florida for a variety of reasons.
1. If you look at average high/low temperature charts you will see a much greater relief from the "heat" in the "off months" In other words, the curve from Jan to August is greater in Jax where Orlando would be more "flat line" to the tune of about 7-8 degrees!

2. Housing is much less expensive as is insurance costs.

3. More history and "established" infrastructure etc. (Jax itself, Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, St Augustine etc)

4. "Large" city on the ocean. Aside from Southeast Florida and Tampa, it's the only other in FL and doesn't suffer some of the "fates" the others have. I'll never live "inland" Florida again.
I can recall going down to Palm Beach in Feb from Orlando and thinking "OMG - way to hot for Feb for me". Then going North toward Jax and having a light sheet of ice on standing water one morning! That's a pretty big spread and not surprising considering Florida's size.

Keep in mind, a lot of people move to Florida expecting to find their burb in Indiana just without snow and get "shocked" to find it's a different world with heat, stinging ants etc. That then turns into a "rant" against FL and they spend a good portion of their life complaining how it sucks. You also have people moving down who simply can't handle change and/or accept the fact that where they came from - their hometown was such a crap hole. They also get "insecure" and crab and complain. Having a public forum such as this, brings it out in spades.

However, there is also some p*ss poor development in Florida that has taken place. I went back to Western Orlando about 5 years ago and was SHOCKED to see what was one orange groves and sleepy Southern towns turn into .08 acre sprawl hell with homes backed up to each other like sardines and non natural landscape everywhere. I prefer my backyard to consist of more than a lanai covered pool with a fence 2 feet off that and the neighbors lanai 20 feet from my back door. I mean, you might as well just shout over the fence "toss me a cold one".

Don't rule out N.E. Florida in your search. Places like Ponte Vedra and beaches North/South can give you a great lifestyle and 30 minute access to DT Jax and some heat relief.

Best of luck.
Good points, JViello.

My sister once lived in Jacksonville and did enjoy her home for a few years before relocating out of state. Access to a big city lifestyle with amenities and to historical St. Augustine was a major plus for her and her family..and her husband enjoyed those golf courses there!

I would like to point out to the OP and others, however, a few things. While NE Florida has not recently been hit by hurricanes, it's not immune and does have a past history of experiencing such activity.

Regarding weather, many have stated that the summer months are just as brutal in NE Florida as elsewhere in the state, while the winters are colder than other areas in Florida. Now, that may indeed be a plus for the OP...but many others feel that if they're gonna get hit with uncomfortable heat/humidity wherever in Florida they live, they'd like a warmer winter than what NE Florida provides in those cooler months.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,591,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Good points, JViello.

My sister once lived in Jacksonville and did enjoy her home for a few years before relocating out of state. Access to a big city lifestyle with amenities and to historical St. Augustine was a major plus for her and her family..and her husband enjoyed those golf courses there!

I would like to point out to the OP and others, however, a few things. While NE Florida has not recently been hit by hurricanes, it's not immune and does have a past history of experiencing such activity.

Regarding weather, many have stated that the summer months are just as brutal in NE Florida as elsewhere in the state, while the winters are colder than other areas in Florida. Now, that may indeed be a plus for the OP...but many others feel that if they're gonna get hit with uncomfortable heat/humidity wherever in Florida they live, they'd like a warmer winter than what NE Florida provides in those cooler months.
Oh totally agreed. For me 65 degree average high in Jan (vs 73+) is about perfect to balance out the 91 average in July. You'll also see months like April and May being 3-5 degree cooler and for me I find myself happier in 84* (Jax) then 88* (O-town). So again, for me I think I'd be happier with 65-87 degrees roughly 9 months of the year vs 4-5 months somewhere like Orlando and points South. July August are the same, no doubt.

I think the last hurricane to hit Jax was Floyd in 99 and before that was 64. No doubt anyplace is "fair game" but for whatever reason Jax has seemed to not get hit as much so long as we have been keeping record.

Many think it's because the typical "high" that hangs around Atlanta during the season helps steer them away, others have noted that the Gulf stream makes a freakish right hand hook away from Jax and that helps. Who knows. lol

Old 02-16-2010, 11:19 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,260 posts, read 5,040,247 times
I think I can be happy living almost anywhere. My wife, it seems, can be unhappy anywhere. But that is another story.......

I also believe that there is no place you can live that will not get "old" after a while. And there are few things about a location that you can't either adjust to or modify to suit yourself.

That being said, I think if you have to live in one place 12 months of the year, the place will get old evidentually and a normal person will start to dwell on the negatives and discount the positives.

I am very much looking forward to living in SW Florida. Fortunately we will be able to leave when things get too hot, too crowded or just boring. And when we miss the weather, the gulf and the other great things about Florida, we will head back in a hurry.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:07 PM

7,901 posts, read 8,878,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECX View Post
I really would like some "TRUE" answers...
I am a 38yr old with a wife and 2 kids ages 8 and 10. We live in Northern Delaware and are needing a major change... Employment is not an issue as I run a successful internet business and can work from home.
i have been researching Florida for some time and the more I do, the worse it seems...
Then YOU are luckier than most here trying to move to Florida. #1 concern is employment. If you don't have that problem, you're going to find a place here you like.

Quote:
We LOVE the beach, fishing, boating, swimming etc... These are the things that have me worried about a move to Florida. (by the way, we are thinking Port St John, Cocoa AREA and buying a home with a screened in pool)
1. Your house and yard will be INFESTED with Huge Palmetto Bugs, Giant Spiders and Massive Swarms of Bloodthirsty Mosquitoes!
Not necessarily. I live in North Florida in a semi-rural suburb and see more deer and raccoons than cockroaches.

Quote:
2. The heat is unbearable for 8 months out of the year and you will do nothing but sit inside with the AC on full blast mounting massive electric bills.
Well what do you expect? It is a subtropical climate. Only mad dogs and Yankees go out in the midday sun. Spring, Fall and Winter more than make up for the debilitating heat (worse inland and in the Panhandle).

Quote:
3. The beaches get Red Tides all the time and smell horrible and burn your eyes. When there is no Red Tide, the waters will be filled with stinging jellyfish and man-o-war.
Not as often as you think, or enough to be worried about.

Quote:
They are also littered with trash and medical waste.
This isn't the Jersey shore. Many beached in the Pandhandle and west coast are pristine and beautiful. In my experience, stuff washing up on the beach is mainly an east coast issue. The Gulf coast has better beaches anyway.

Quote:
4. If you venture outside of your fenced yard you will be attacked by Killer Alligators, Venomous Snakes and Spiders. And be eaten alive by mosquitoes and other biting insects.
Don't be such a wuss. You have opposable thumbs and technology. They are no match for you.

Quote:
5. Insurance is unaffordable IF you can find a company to insure your house... because a Hurricane WILL find you and destroy your home!
IF you live on or near the beach, which isn't a great idea unless you are fabulously wealthy and don't care about insurance.

Quote:
6. Crime in Florida is a Huge problem and will WILL fall victim of it. Murder, Rape, Massive Pedophile Kidnappings etc...
Not if you stay away from the major cities and pretty much all of South Florida.

Quote:
Am I crazy to feel a bit apprehensive about moving to Florida after reading all the above "FACTS" ???
Yes.

Quote:
I visit Orlando and Miami once a year and LOVE it every time I go, but people tell me that IF I move to Florida I will experience the above listed issues and I will absolutely RESENT my decision to move to the Sunshine State.
Orlando and Miami do not fairly represent the whole state. You need to get out more.

For example, did you know that Florida is a major cattle state? That much of the northern half of the state is covered with forest?

There is a lot of land between the coasts and outside the city limits of the tourist meccas. Explore.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:22 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,660,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

Don't be such a wuss. You have opposable thumbs and technology. They are no match for you.

Oh yeah? I would well advise the OP if he encounters an alligator to forget all about technology, ditch the PC and cell, and hightail it out of the area as fast as he can!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,557,308 times
No matter where you move to, it won't be like when you vacation there. You have your job and other daily stresses which are not there on a get away.
The crime issue well what surprised me moving here is how within a few miles it can go from safe to not. It may be like that in others states but not really where I am from. So it is important to drive around the area you choose to live.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:53 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,466,030 times
1. False, although you may get fire ants. Your house and yard will be INFESTED with Huge Palmetto Bugs, Giant Spiders and Massive Swarms of Bloodthirsty Mosquitoes!

2. So very very true. The heat is unbearable for 8 months out of the year and you will do nothing but sit inside with the AC on full blast mounting massive electric bills.

3. False. the beaches are amazing. The beaches get Red Tides all the time and smell horrible and burn your eyes. When there is no Red Tide, the waters will be filled with stinging jellyfish and man-o-war. They are also littered with trash and medical waste.

4. False. Nothing could be further from the truth. If you venture outside of your fenced yard you will be attacked by Killer Alligators, Venomous Snakes and Spiders. And be eaten alive by mosquitoes and other biting insects.

5. 80% true - insurance and property tax is insanely expensive. Insurance is unaffordable IF you can find a company to insure your house... because a Hurricane WILL find you and destroy your home!

6. False - but you have to be aware and keep your wits about you and a close watch on your children. Crime in Florida is a Huge problem and will WILL fall victim of it. Murder, Rape, Massive Pedophile Kidnappings etc...

Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 PM

11,795 posts, read 26,711,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
1) I live in central FL and yes I see bugs sometimes, very rarely in my house, and my yard isn't infested, I do things in my back yard a lot and never have issues with bugs, ants are what annoy me the most, but that still isn't a huge problem
2)It gets really bad from around June-September but I'm still outdoors just as much as during the rest of the year, those are the months everyone goes to the beach, the theme parks, etc.
3) I don't live on the coast but in my whole life of living here red tide has only prevented me from going to the beach once, and I go multiple times throughout the year.
4)false
5)In central FL only one hurricane caused some what severe damage in my whole life of living here, and my house wasn't destroyed, it was still livable.
6) crime is an issue in some areas, but there are even more areas where it is safe and crime isn't much of an issue. I've lived here all my life and I've never been a victim of crime.
hope that helped.

I'm with you most of your answers. I had no problem with the hurricanes except for losing power for several days. The heat lasts til at least the end of October IMHO. Property taxes ($1900) and home owners insurance ($500) are average where I live.

Some ppl will make FL out to be horrible, honestly it really isn't. Actually, it is very nice. It's convenient and there is plenty to do. Yes, there are bad areas just like anywhere else, but there are plenty good areas. The ONE and ONLY thing I don't care for is how hot it gets and how long it lasts. Although, it beats being stuck in for months for the cold and gray days.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,259,721 times
Don't forget about the thunderstorms and lightning. These will take awhile to get used to, but they also serve to cool down those hot summer temperatures. Almost every day in the summer, you will see a thuderstorm. Dark clouds move in after lunch and then it will pour. Temperatures will drop (but it will be very steamy). Then the sun will usually come out after the rain moves away.

I can't wait to get back to FL. I can't believe that I thought there was nothing to do there. Try north GA where we are now. After 4 years here, anything will be an improvement. We barely broke 30 degrees today and I've had enough bare trees to last a lifetime. I guess after 32 years in FL, I was ready for a change. People are strange here too. My mindset is that if I have to work and be stressed, I might as well be able to come home to sunshine and a pool or at least a lawn chair.

The only thing I would worry about in FL is crime and jobs, and with the OP being self-employed and looking at a good area, he should be fine. I have a few friends who live up by Fernandina Beach and they love it.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,591,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
The ONE and ONLY thing I don't care for is how hot it gets and how long it lasts. Although, it beats being stuck in for months for the cold and gray days.
Again, it depends on where you are in Florida. I used to say that in Orlando and points South. I found the North to give much more of a break and sooner than Orlando.

And for the record, Summers in Charlotte for me were actually HOTTER than Orlando. I was pretty surprised. Well that and being 2.5-3 hours away from the ocean just sucked! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Don't forget about the thunderstorms and lightning. These will take awhile to get used to, but they also serve to cool down those hot summer temperatures. Almost every day in the summer, you will see a thuderstorm. Dark clouds move in after lunch and then it will pour. Temperatures will drop (but it will be very steamy). Then the sun will usually come out after the rain moves away.
Gee that was something I actually used to look forward too. I love violent storms like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I have a few friends who live up by Fernandina Beach and they love it.
Shhhh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or