Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day....

You love California's mountains? They were created by tectonic shifts - earthquakes.

You love the massively amazing spring in Alaska? It's due in large part to the fact that nature has to do all it's growing in a very short period there.

You love the Hawaiian islands? They were created by volcanoes.

You love the mangroves and Everglades in Florida? That comes with humidity and hurricanes.

As other posters have said, EVERYWHERE has its pluses and minuses. In some cases the things you love most about it are a byproduct of what you like least. Don't focus on what you think a place is missing - focus on what it has to offer. I never thought I would end up here in Florida. I've lived many places - California, Texas, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, England, Michigan, Florida. You can't compare them. Each is so beautiful in its own way. I came down here without any reason to think I would like it. I don't like heat, I didn't know anyone here, I tend to be liberal, I hated the idea of having to won a car. I like hills....on and on. I've lived through numerous hurricanes, including having to move out of my house to replace the roof, kitchen and drywall on one side of the house. But I am very happy here. I look at the birds and other wildlife I never had anywhere else. I look at the simply glorious days we tend to have in the wintertime. I have a beautiful home I couldn't afford anywhere else. I've had amazing opportunities to do volunteer work I never had anywhere else. Animals lear to live with their environment, and until recently people did too. We have the unique opportunity to be able to relocate and experience different things. Enjoy it, and appreciate the positives. With the positives come the negatives, and I'm not saying their should be ignored. But they can be mitigated and you learn to live with them.

I am happy here. I had the opportunity to move out of Florida about a year and a half ago but I stayed.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:39 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Please tell me that's someone dressed for Halloween!
Nope.

Woman Hears Knock At Door - Answers It - 8 Foot Alligator On Porch - Democratic Underground

Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
I just have to add my 0.02 cents! Sorry for the long post folks.

First off all, as a person who has spent tons of time in Florida over the years and lived in Florida for a short period of time I can tell you that Florida like no other state is what you make of it.
It has more to offer then any state in our country. I have traveled most of my adult life as a former business owner, being in every single state and staying for periods of time in every one of those states.
If there is a road that leads somewhere, you can bet I have probably been on it.
I get told I know more about Florida for an Ohio girl then most Floridians which is a compliment.

Now to the nitty gritty.

Every single town and every single state has its pros and cons. If you want things in your life that fulfill your needs and wants then you will have to at some time give up something else for those specific things. What is it you are willing to give up to get the things you want out of life?

For me, in my opinion Florida has more to offer a person who likes the things Florida has to offer.

Like me and my family, we love the ocean, we love being warm, we love scuba diving, we love antiques and flea markets, we love Disney, Epcot, Busch, Silver Springs and Florida history and all the beautiful nature it has to offer.

We do not mind the heat, do not mind the traffic as we live in a high traffic area anyway.

Crime, we have just as much violent crime in Columbus Ohio as those cities who in Florida who people rant about all the time.

Schools, sure every town as good and bad schools. Its up to you as a parent to put your kids in a school at will help them excel. I am a firm believer in that you child will be successful as long as YOU, the parent makes sure it is a team effort. That includes you, your child, your teachers, your administration at the school all work together to make sure your child is learning and is challenged to his-her abilities.

Bugs, knowing hundreds of people personally who live in Florida with some being on this board, I have yet to hear anyone complain to me about the bugs. As most tell me they have a monthly plan to eliminate any bugs and never have heard any of our friends complain about bugs being inside their homes.

As a person who is crazy into researching information and double checking things, I can tell you that what I have found out literally amazed me.

I love to read back in the Florida forum to see what others who do not post here have to say, when I find a poster who says I am moving to Florida and then later on does, I follow that poster to see what they have to say once they moved. So research is VITAL.

Time, very important that you spend time in the towns of your choice. You need to make a list of 3-4 towns and spend time in those towns, making a list of pros and cons etc. Visit the schools in person, grocery stores, parks, downtown areas, etc to get a feel for what the town is like and the people in it.

Rude people, well we have those everywhere, not just in Florida.
Hate to say this but as an avid traveler of many years there are NO more rude people then those in the state of New Jersey. Talk about rude nasty crude people, NJ has Florida beat by a long shot.

COL- I can live cheaper in the 2-3 towns we are looking at FAR cheaper then in the town we now live.

Housing- I can buy a far nicer, bigger, better home and be able to swim year around for a lot less money then in Columbus, Ohio.

We have planned on already being in Florida by now but had to change our plans for a period of time so we are still hoping and praying that someday we will get to live our dream of living in the sunshine and enjoying the things we love to do.

Now for some inside information that wont make some people happy but it is my opinion based on some personal facts and thoughts.

I have found that many people who rant and rave Florida have some issues other then just hating the heat, bugs, crime, schools etc.

Two cases come to mind and I have found out this information through personal contacts with members who have detailed this to me.

One such person posted here they moved from Florida and moved to the Northeast, only to then decide they hated the NE and wanted to move back to Florida. I read this posters postings over and over again and saw something was not right with some of the details.

I follow this posters writings and was actually excited for this person and his family. This poster bragged about how they stole a huge house in a certain town for next to nothing, posting it had xxxx sq ft, a huge pool, lanai and all the goodies.

Then, come to find out they moved back to Florida for a reason. They were believing they were going to take over mom and dads business and make a living doing so. When the economy tanked and mom and dads business went down hill all of a sudden Florida started looking like crap.

This poster then began the I hate Florida postings, like most others the normal crime is bad, kids are not learning, heat is bad, bugs are everywhere etc.

What this poster did NOT tell anyone is he wanted to take over mom and pops business and sit on his butt to earn money to live the life. When it did not work out it was now Floridas fault, the peoples fault etc.

When in fact it was this posters FAULT TOTALLY. Poor decisions and one mistake after another lead to this posters demise and yet had the nerve to blame everyone but himself for not making it in Florida.

Another poster from Ohio posted how they could not wait to get to Florida. They posted how they hated the snow and cold etc. They both took jobs in the Florida town making decent money and purchased a home. I want to add they purchased a home WAY OVER THEIR HEAD and when he lost his job and could not make enough money to pay the house payment it then became FLORIDAS FAULT and the posted nothing but I hate Florida post and blamed everything and everyone except for themselves for making poor decisions.

So, with that said I can tell you that behind most, not all posters hateful negative posting about Florida is a hidden issue that is not posted.

I know personally many stories of people who moved to Florida and made huge mistakes, tons of poor decisions and did not do their research before moving.

So please take the negatives with a grain of salt, we all know Florida has its negatives but some get blown way out of line by some people who will not post that it is entirely THEIR FAULT for their misery, not making it, or failing to succeed in Florida.

Then look at the bright side of things, many, many posters who have moved to Florida love it, many, many posters who have left Florida now want to or plan on moving back to Florida.

Many of those posters do not come back to post much because they got sick of the negatives knowing the majority of them are bogus. Sure some people move to Florida and do not like it, Florida is NOT for everyone. But if you move to Florida and do not like it or do not make it, it is YOUR FAULT and not Florida's, the people of Florida or anything other then you making poor decisions and not doing your homework.

Florida has a lot offer people, but it is you who has to find the perfect fit for you and your family. But please, if you make a bad decision and Florida turns out not to be for you, do not turn into one of these Florida haters and tell us how Florida ruined your life.

Research is key. Time spent in the areas in key. Talking to people personally is key. Reading and gaining information is vital.

But most of all, you have to make the decision to change your life by making good sound decisions BEFORE you move, NOT after.

There are many very informative people on this Florida forum from all walks of life who can help steer you the right direction for anything you need. A great mix of Florida natives, non natives, people who have moved to Florida a while back, moved recently, people who moved away and want to come back etc. Read the good with the bad and find a way to research them both according to your needs.

Remember, Florida is NOT for everyone. Like Ohio is not for everyone.

Good luck and do your homework,

Sunny Days

Dreaming of Florida every single day!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM
ECX ECX started this thread

71 posts, read 274,958 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:26 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Crime, we have just as much violent crime in Columbus Ohio as those cities who in Florida who people rant about all the time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Really? I guess if you want to ignore the stats. Wow! Gotta love pipe dreams. Ohio crime compared to Florida crime LMAO!!!!! Maybe Cincinnati or Cleveland, but Columbus?

http://www.city-data.com/city/Columbus-Ohio.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Orlando-Florida.html

Last edited by **NoodLes**; 02-16-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Really? I guess if you want to ignore the stats. Wow! Gotta love pipe dreams. Ohio crime compared to Florida crime LMAO!!!!!

But you know since it is hotter in Florida it doesnt count,lol. That seems to be the rational for everything.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Really? I guess if you want to ignore the stats. Wow! Gotta love pipe dreams. Ohio crime compared to Florida crime LMAO!!!!! Maybe Cincinnati or Cleveland, but Columbus?

What am I missing?

Columbus Ohio: 2008 Crime index: 621.6

Tampa: 478.4

http://www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.html

Jacksonville: 574.9

http://www.city-data.com/city/Jacksonville-Florida.html

Fort Lauderdale: 559.5

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-L...e-Florida.html

Miami: 632.3

So, we have ONE major city in Florida with a greater crime rate than Columbus. Miami is about even.

Newsflash for the gifted kids in the back: ORLANDO is not representative of the state of the entire state of Florida.

Last edited by TriMT7; 02-17-2010 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 AM

WOW 109 Murders and 615 Rapes in Columbus Ohio in 2008 compared to only 43 murders and 131 rapes in Orlando Florida!

I will take my chances in Florida.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I just have to add my 0.02 cents! Sorry for the long post folks.

First off all, as a person who has spent tons of time in Florida over the years and lived in Florida for a short period of time I can tell you that Florida like no other state is what you make of it.
It has more to offer then any state in our country. I have traveled most of my adult life as a former business owner, being in every single state and staying for periods of time in every one of those states.
If there is a road that leads somewhere, you can bet I have probably been on it.
I get told I know more about Florida for an Ohio girl then most Floridians which is a compliment.

Now to the nitty gritty.

Every single town and every single state has its pros and cons. If you want things in your life that fulfill your needs and wants then you will have to at some time give up something else for those specific things. What is it you are willing to give up to get the things you want out of life?

For me, in my opinion Florida has more to offer a person who likes the things Florida has to offer.

Like me and my family, we love the ocean, we love being warm, we love scuba diving, we love antiques and flea markets, we love Disney, Epcot, Busch, Silver Springs and Florida history and all the beautiful nature it has to offer.

We do not mind the heat, do not mind the traffic as we live in a high traffic area anyway.

Schools, sure every town as good and bad schools. Its up to you as a parent to put your kids in a school at will help them excel. I am a firm believer in that you child will be successful as long as YOU, the parent makes sure it is a team effort. That includes you, your child, your teachers, your administration at the school all work together to make sure your child is learning and is challenged to his-her abilities.

Bugs, knowing hundreds of people personally who live in Florida with some being on this board, I have yet to hear anyone complain to me about the bugs. As most tell me they have a monthly plan to eliminate any bugs and never have heard any of our friends complain about bugs being inside their homes.

As a person who is crazy into researching information and double checking things, I can tell you that what I have found out literally amazed me.

I love to read back in the Florida forum to see what others who do not post here have to say, when I find a poster who says I am moving to Florida and then later on does, I follow that poster to see what they have to say once they moved. So research is VITAL.

Time, very important that you spend time in the towns of your choice. You need to make a list of 3-4 towns and spend time in those towns, making a list of pros and cons etc. Visit the schools in person, grocery stores, parks, downtown areas, etc to get a feel for what the town is like and the people in it.

Rude people, well we have those everywhere, not just in Florida.
Hate to say this but as an avid traveler of many years there are NO more rude people then those in the state of New Jersey. Talk about rude nasty crude people, NJ has Florida beat by a long shot.

COL- I can live cheaper in the 2-3 towns we are looking at FAR cheaper then in the town we now live.

Housing- I can buy a far nicer, bigger, better home and be able to swim year around for a lot less money then in Columbus, Ohio.

We have planned on already being in Florida by now but had to change our plans for a period of time so we are still hoping and praying that someday we will get to live our dream of living in the sunshine and enjoying the things we love to do.

Now for some inside information that wont make some people happy but it is my opinion based on some personal facts and thoughts.

I have found that many people who rant and rave Florida have some issues other then just hating the heat, bugs, crime, schools etc.

Two cases come to mind and I have found out this information through personal contacts with members who have detailed this to me.

One such person posted here they moved from Florida and moved to the Northeast, only to then decide they hated the NE and wanted to move back to Florida. I read this posters postings over and over again and saw something was not right with some of the details.

I follow this posters writings and was actually excited for this person and his family. This poster bragged about how they stole a huge house in a certain town for next to nothing, posting it had xxxx sq ft, a huge pool, lanai and all the goodies.

Then, come to find out they moved back to Florida for a reason. They were believing they were going to take over mom and dads business and make a living doing so. When the economy tanked and mom and dads business went down hill all of a sudden Florida started looking like crap.

This poster then began the I hate Florida postings, like most others the normal crime is bad, kids are not learning, heat is bad, bugs are everywhere etc.

What this poster did NOT tell anyone is he wanted to take over mom and pops business and sit on his butt to earn money to live the life. When it did not work out it was now Floridas fault, the peoples fault etc.

When in fact it was this posters FAULT TOTALLY. Poor decisions and one mistake after another lead to this posters demise and yet had the nerve to blame everyone but himself for not making it in Florida.

Another poster from Ohio posted how they could not wait to get to Florida. They posted how they hated the snow and cold etc. They both took jobs in the Florida town making decent money and purchased a home. I want to add they purchased a home WAY OVER THEIR HEAD and when he lost his job and could not make enough money to pay the house payment it then became FLORIDAS FAULT and the posted nothing but I hate Florida post and blamed everything and everyone except for themselves for making poor decisions.

So, with that said I can tell you that behind most, not all posters hateful negative posting about Florida is a hidden issue that is not posted.

I know personally many stories of people who moved to Florida and made huge mistakes, tons of poor decisions and did not do their research before moving.

So please take the negatives with a grain of salt, we all know Florida has its negatives but some get blown way out of line by some people who will not post that it is entirely THEIR FAULT for their misery, not making it, or failing to succeed in Florida.

Then look at the bright side of things, many, many posters who have moved to Florida love it, many, many posters who have left Florida now want to or plan on moving back to Florida.

Many of those posters do not come back to post much because they got sick of the negatives knowing the majority of them are bogus. Sure some people move to Florida and do not like it, Florida is NOT for everyone. But if you move to Florida and do not like it or do not make it, it is YOUR FAULT and not Florida's, the people of Florida or anything other then you making poor decisions and not doing your homework.

Florida has a lot offer people, but it is you who has to find the perfect fit for you and your family. But please, if you make a bad decision and Florida turns out not to be for you, do not turn into one of these Florida haters and tell us how Florida ruined your life.

Research is key. Time spent in the areas in key. Talking to people personally is key. Reading and gaining information is vital.

But most of all, you have to make the decision to change your life by making good sound decisions BEFORE you move, NOT after.

There are many very informative people on this Florida forum from all walks of life who can help steer you the right direction for anything you need. A great mix of Florida natives, non natives, people who have moved to Florida a while back, moved recently, people who moved away and want to come back etc. Read the good with the bad and find a way to research them both according to your needs.

Remember, Florida is NOT for everyone. Like Ohio is not for everyone.

Good luck and do your homework,

Sunny Days

Dreaming of Florida every single day!

What she said! ^^^^^ Sunny, I don't have a thing to add, thanks for typing out such a nice and long post, I wish people new to the forum would take the time to read all the good positive posts instead of reading a few negative posts and then ask questions like "why does florida suck" etc. That almost sounds trollish to me.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
What she said! ^^^^^ Sunny, I don't have a thing to add, thanks for typing out such a nice and long post, I wish people new to the forum would take the time to read all the good positive posts instead of reading a few negative posts and then ask questions like "why does florida suck" etc. That almost sounds trollish to me.
That's the reason I made this post, "does Florida really suck?" because every other post I have started asking about relocating to Fla was inundated with horror stories from angry Floridians telling me not to move there or I will be attacked by alligators and spiders while having my blood sucked out by mosquitoes and getting swept up in a hurricane inspired tornado while sweating my ass off and being shot at and raped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida