Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
What she said! ^^^^^ Sunny, I don't have a thing to add, thanks for typing out such a nice and long post, I wish people new to the forum would take the time to read all the good positive posts instead of reading a few negative posts and then ask questions like "why does florida suck" etc. That almost sounds trollish to me.

I agree with both of you

Old 02-17-2010, 07:43 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Am I totally missing something with that 'Cleanest Beaches in the Northeast' graphic because it really appears to me that it's in a lower (ie. better) water quality tier than many places- tied for 9th with New Jersey in the study and ahead of the NE states of New York, Mass., and Maine.

As for the bears, they're generally only a problem if you've got outdoor trash cans. What scare me are the giant insane wild boars you get in wilderness areas. They've trapped 400+ pound piggies in the woods where I work a couple times in recent years.

LOL I forgot about the wild boars.

I had one chase me into and across the Hillsborough River once...

Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECX View Post
That's the reason I made this post, "does Florida really suck?" because every other post I have started asking about relocating to Fla was inundated with horror stories from angry Floridians telling me not to move there or I will be attacked by alligators and spiders while having my blood sucked out by mosquitoes and getting swept up in a hurricane inspired tornado while sweating my ass off and being shot at and raped!
Nonsense!

It is highly improbable that you will be attacked by an alligator WHILE getting raped.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Nonsense!

It is highly improbable that you will be attacked by an alligator WHILE getting raped.
LOL..the way some people make it out to be, it seems that the alligator will be doing both.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECX View Post
That's the reason I made this post, "does Florida really suck?" because every other post I have started asking about relocating to Fla was inundated with horror stories from angry Floridians telling me not to move there or I will be attacked by alligators and spiders while having my blood sucked out by mosquitoes and getting swept up in a hurricane inspired tornado while sweating my ass off and being shot at and raped!
ECX - as a person who is soon to be moving to the South Florida area, I truly understand your concerns. I live in NYC and know all about the East NY area, South Bronx, parts of Jamaica, Far Rockaway, the list can go on for miles. My point is I know thoses places and I know what my fear factor should be. When moving to a new area you don't know what it should be. It is quite possible that you could move to Hollywood, Florida and think it is a fantastic place. I just used a random place that doesn't get horrible reviews but doesn't get raving ones either. I really think that you should listen to those who are telling you where the nicer areas are and rent there first. Then take the first 6 months you are living there to just check out places and areas. You can't lose this way. If it doesn't work out, it will have been a slightly expensive adventure. You will never know unless you try.

Where ever you are at right now is lacking something or you wouldn't be enquiring about another state and a beautiful one at that. I believe that you have to try or you will never know. If you find that you were wrong and go back to your hometown it will have just been an extended time away making you appreciate what you left all the more. To me it is a win, win situation, especially that you have no worry about work. Work and schools have been my main concern.

Good luck in your decision making. I have grown to learn that no place is as bad or as good as anybody makes it out to be.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
I can't wait to move to SW Florida next month. However, of all the states I have spent any time in, Hawaii would be my first choice! We only spent 2 weeks on the island of Maui. But it just felt like a location that would add ten years to my life span if I lived there.

But you can't drive from Hawaii to visit the family........

Old 02-17-2010, 09:20 AM

309 posts, read 1,210,310 times
Greetings,
My hubby is laid and going crazy. He is a work acholic. Were wondering how the work situation is there the construction world? He is Mastered License, not sure your state would except that. Very experienced in the Superintendent roll. Has worked in commerical, residental, food and industrial areas. Have travel trailer to stay in. So what part would be good for this type of work?
Thanks for all your help
Be Blessed
Sandy

Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Maybe it's just me but there seems to be an upsurge recently here on the Florida forums of thread/posts which allege that anything Florida "sucks" -Living in Florida sucks, The work ethic in Florida sucks, Heat and humidity in Florida suck.

One can always find unpleasant aspects of life wherever one lives. In NYC, sometimes the weather, the commute to work, the job, one's boss, spouse, neighbor...can all win trophies in sucking big time.

Sometimes a change of environment can help...at other times it does nil. See how many people with screen names aboard like "Florida Sucks," relocate elsewhere then suddenly change their tags to "North Carolina Sucks," or "Tennesssee Sucks!"

There's no perfection anywhere and what's good for one is lousy for another. Florida may suck in some aspects but is fantastic in others. Same can be said of anywhere in the good old USA.

If anyone feels that any part of our country sucks 100 percent, maybe they need to look inwardly to see who actually sucks.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Maybe it's just me but there seems to be an upsurge recently here on the Florida forums of thread/posts which allege that anything Florida "sucks" -Living in Florida sucks, The work ethic in Florida sucks, Heat and humidity in Florida suck.

One can always find unpleasant aspects of life wherever one lives. In NYC, sometimes the weather, the commute to work, the job, one's boss, spouse, neighbor...can all win trophies in sucking big time.

Sometimes a change of environment can help...at other times it does nil. See how many people with screen names aboard like "Florida Sucks," relocate elsewhere then suddenly change their tags to "North Carolina Sucks," or "Tennesssee Sucks!"

There's no perfection anywhere and what's good for one is lousy for another. Florida may suck in some aspects but is fantastic in others. Same can be said of anywhere in the good old USA.

If anyone feels that any part of our country sucks 100 percent, maybe they need to look inwardly to see who actually sucks.
Beautifully said my friend

Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I've made my living in municipal public utilities (and yes, that includes the collection and treatment of sewage) and I can tell you first hand that large sewage spills that get into the beach areas (in my case, Tampa Bay and the Gulf) aren't that rare. Things break and the sewage keeps coming. When this happens and IF it's reported to the DEP, many times a swimming area will be closed. Fact of life when humans live near the water. Are municipalities forthcoming about their spills? Not hardly, sometimes huge fines are involved. Is it getting better? You bet-there was a time, not too long ago, that there was no oversight and semi-treated and untreated sewage was dumped straight into the bay. It took lawsuits by concerned citizens and yes, environmental groups, to make cities clean up their act. People in Florida don't like their beaches covered in poo and toilet paper.
The problem of repetitive red tide is being addressed by banning the use of nitrogen rich fertilizers during the rainy season. This is being done on a local level, mainly because our state lawmakers aren't known for doing the right thing.
To the OP- yes it's safe to swim in the ocean for the most part.
I don't disagree with what you wrote above, but just keep in mind that it's happening everywhere, not just in "dirty nasty, stupid, hot, gross" Florida.

You should see what goes on with sewage up here in Hartford after a heavy rain. You can SMELL the river!

In fact we are going to all be levied a $500-1000 (Which in reality will probably mean $1500.00) PER YEAR fee on top of our taxes just so they can build/rebuild the waste water system. That doesn't include what comes down from Springfield, and what gets put in South of here, and that dumps into Long Island Sound which also attaches to NYC and doesn't exactly have great "circulation". At least in Florida you've got the gulf stream and open ocean. We get "beach warnings" all the time here and we are still considered one of the "cleaner" beaches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida