U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:58 PM

7,652 posts, read 16,041,449 times

Advertisements

I don't know Virginia Oak Ct. specifically, but the areas to the west and NW of there are relatively nice. In that broader area, you want to stay out of the Lovejoy Rd/Sylvania Heights neighborhood over to the SW but beyond I never hear about much happening in the rest of the neighborhoods there, which can be a good thing. My default assumption would be that it was perfectly nice middle/working class area- just do a drive through at 9:30-10:00pm and make sure you haven't stumbled into one of those neighborhoods where people like to crank their stereos up loud enough for the the rest of the neighbors to hear that awesome bass line.

Emerald Coast Homes online might have some more rental offerings you haven't seen:

EmeraldCoastHomesOnline.com

Sorry to hear of the loss on the old house. I'd think that a number of landlords would be open to a nine month lease right now with the idea that they can pick up a Green Beret/F-35 tenant after that as those programs build up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,257 times
Awesome, thank you Beachmouse! I plan to get a police blotter for the area to be certain, however its good to know that you don't know anything specific (because if you did it would probably be something bad!).

Luckily, the luxury of the military orders is that even if we have to sign a year lease, we can break it with no penalty when my husband receives orders. However the flip side of that is we have a military couple renting from us so they can do the same to us!

Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,906,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP123 View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are moving to Fort Walton Beach next month and I'm look to make online friends with folks in the area for advice and info.

Any advice? Good web sites with info? Things to watch out for, good deals? etc.

If you could live anywhere near Ft. Walton Beach where would you live?

What is the cost of living (gas, rent, taxes, etc)

Thanks very much in advance!

(I wish there was a folder on the PANHANDLE area of Florida to put this in but the moderators have indicated they don't care what we the members want sooooo I'll clutter it up and post it here.)
Ft. Walton/Destin is a nice area. Youre going to like it and being close to the super beaches . Nice people . Try this : www.emeraldcoastguide.com .

Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM

41 posts, read 97,723 times
Awesome.

I'd sad to be missing the 30A Songwriters Conference AND The Emerald Coast Music Awards. From looking at the great pictures (thanks for those!) it seems we are just trading one paradise (Hawaii) for another (Fla.)

A few other questions...

Who is the best boat dealer on the coast?

How is the city/county government these days? Seems like a lot of scandals.

When is the Easter Break craziness and how crazy? Is it like Ft. Lauderdale?

Any businesses to avoid or things to watch out for?

In looking for a home... how bad is the mold problem we hear about?

Is it true a lot of the damaged cars from the hurricane still being sold?
Where can I buy a good used car?

What advice would you give newcommers?

THANKS!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM

There's probably still a fair amount of corruption at the local level that hasn't been gotten to yet. But it doesn't really impact day to day life.

Spring break isn't crazy like you get in Panana City Beach, though it definitely gets a good crowd. The condos don't usually rent to people under 25, so the college kids you get either stay at the relatively small percentage of hotels, visit a condo their family owns, or a handful get creative about lying their way around the age restriction.

I actually don't know many people who have had mold problems, save for when they've had storm damage, and insurance generally takes care of that as part of overall repairs.

Also don't have a ton of reports about hurricane damaged cars still being on the resale market since it's 5 years after the fact at this point. But Carfax is a cheap subscription for a month while you're looking around, and you can flag cars that were listed as titled and then sold in LA/MS/AL/FL in 2004 and 2005 and avoid those if you're really looking to be on the safe side.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM

14,783 posts, read 31,207,665 times
I'm not sure how it is in Hawaii, but here your a/c will run enough from May to Nov to take care of the humidity inside. Mold problems are usually caused by leaks or drainage problems. There are some days when it gets a little humid and damp feeling during the winter but it's not warm enough for the a/c, a portable dehumidifier comes in handy on those days (but it's not a necessity).

There's about a two mile stretch of hwy 29 in Pensacola known as "car city", you can find any kind of new or used car you want.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 PM

And there also a couple weeks in the winter where it gets quite dry- dew points into the mid 30s and even 20s. We'll actually run a one room humidifier in our bedroom for about 10-14 nights per winter.

In FWB proper for cars, we've had very good experience with Quality Imports for new cars, and indifferent/average experience with Lee VW/Subaru, largely because they've got the slowest service department in the Panhandle, which annoys because they're the only option for warranty work that's less than 50 miles away. (Though in terms of sales, Lee has been fair about prices for the cars we've bought from them and their service department is honest if you can handle the snail-like pace of getting things done.)

Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 PM

440 posts, read 2,238,824 times
Awesome.

I'd sad to be missing the 30A Songwriters Conference AND The Emerald Coast Music Awards. Good news is there are plenty more festivals to come. We've got the Seabreeze Jazz Festival coming up in Panama City Beach, ArtsQuest (http://www.culturalartsassociation.com/artsquest - broken link) and Digital Grafitti in Alys Beach. From looking at the great pictures (thanks for those!) Glad you enjoyed the photos. it seems we are just trading one paradise (Hawaii) for another (Fla.)

A few other questions...

Who is the best boat dealer on the coast? Not sure who the best is but Legendary Marine is probably one of the largest.

How is the city/county government these days? Seems like a lot of scandals. Yes, there has been some shake ups lately with the local officials but in our mind, that happens most every place in America --- just the nature of politics and people who have let greed creep into their lives.

When is the Easter Break craziness and how crazy? Is it like Ft. Lauderdale? We wouldn't compare it to the Spring Break of Ft Lauderdale from years ago that we know ... but it's been a long time since we've been there at that time. Spring Break starts in March but it probably won't crank up until later in the month / early April. Summers are the other high season. Like another poster mentioned, it's not like Panama City Beach, which we have to saying is trying to change that image. Destin would probably be the next busiest spot during that time ... especially over on the scenic beach road. If it rains, that's when you get into trouble, people can't go to the beach, so they are all on the road to shop or just tool around. Since we only have the one main road, highway 98, that connects all the areas, traffic can get very congested on a rainy day in season. The area referred to as the Scenic Highway 30A tends to be a little less crowded ... though as more people find out about us, that is beginning to change.

Any businesses to avoid or things to watch out for? Not sure what you are asking. If you are looking at property, be mindful that we do have a lot of wetlands / flood zones. We've got some mean insects in different areas in their seasons ... all depends on where you are. With Eglin Air Force base, you will experience some test bombing noise, mostly in off season when the tourists aren't around. Can't think of anything else right off the bat.

In looking for a home... how bad is the mold problem we hear about? Seems like everyone else covered this pretty good. It is humid. When we lived in California, we could have storage outside and never worry about humidity ruining it. You can't do that here. If you are going to store things, we recommend climate controlled storage.

Is it true a lot of the damaged cars from the hurricane still being sold?
Where can I buy a good used car? Don't know about this one but seems other posters gave you some solid answers.

What advice would you give newcommers?Make sure you have secure employment unless you have the financial means to be ok without work. If you love the outdoors and water related activities, and you can handle intense heat & humidity, then this may be a place for you.

THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida