U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 PM

7,654 posts, read 16,047,687 times

Advertisements

The point being that bad stuff happens anywhere, even the small towns where people try to claim it's somehow magically safer. (And I'm not singling out Freeport with that statement; look at teen drug and alcohol use in general in rural areas, and the rates for those are the same or higher than what you find in suburban and 'high risk' urban areas.)

And glad FSU did well by you. For all that it's not topmost tier, (and sorry, the only two Florida publics that are would be U of F and New College) a determined student can get a good education there.

Back to Freeport, there are bargains to be found in Windswept right now- lots of people overpaid out there during the boom and then discovered just how isolated the development is and have been trying to get closer to civilization ever since. It's going to take a while for the development in Freeport proper to bridge the space gap out to that gold course, and unless you like that isolation, I'd look in HB or Canopies instead since they're established areas that are closer to the Freeport schools and commercial cluster.

Is Owl's Head making progress now? It seems to have stalled out almost entirely since 2005 for all that there were some big players behind the development in the initial ribbon-cutting stage. Though for all the initial buzz, I think their issue was that they were charging south of the bay prices for a development so far from the glitz of the beach, and I'm not sure how much you're going to need to drop prices there in order to draw high end buyers when you can get an 'entry level' home in Watercolor or Watersound for less than $500K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 31,779 times
I have stressed for 2 months trying to figure out how to put great schools,good family neighborhoods and an affordable decent size home in one package. There are 5 of us and we have pets. We will be there in a month but still no home and we are just looking for a rental. I had given up on Freeport because of the schools but BWB is hard to find a 2000 sq ft home that is pet friendly. We may go back to freeport at least the amenities are incredible.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:08 AM

For all that Okaloosa County is effectively an Air Force town, it really is annoying how poor the rental market seems to be in some ways, especially if you've got pets. When we were renting, we ended up having a lot fewer options because of one beloved ten pound cat.

Best of luck in finding something that best fits your needs.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 PM

20 posts, read 71,250 times
A few questions
How difficult is it for a high schooler in Hammock Bay to get dispensation to go to school in South Walton?

WhAts the deal on beach permits. Are they available.?

For those in Hammock Bay how would you describethe demographic? Older younger young kids older kids? We are a young couple 36&34 with a 15 yr old. It always seems difficult to find families with common interests. Lots of folks our age are still starting families while were thinking about sending ours off to college.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:43 PM

I think that Walton County might be issuing or planning to issue beach permits again. No guarantees, but the county does like that source or revenue. And Grayton Beach, which is the one remaining place where it's allowed, never seems too full even during peak summer.

Note that we're not talking Daytona sand. You really do need a full blown 4wd vehicle with high clearance to make beach driving here work right. I've seen tourists in 2wd SUVs get themselves stuck out there pretty easily.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,472 times
Have lived in Freeport for over 25 years HB is nice. It has a CDD (community cevelopment district) that is what pays for the streets and interstructure. They are close to the City Park due to they donated the land for it. Agree the most built out area has the most vacant due to they sold to a lot of miltary that mved or could not afford. Some people purchased when market was high then the builder but same floor plan six months later for $100,000 less really stuck it to the first ones.
Schools are fine and always improving.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 AM

13 posts, read 94,476 times
I live in Hammock Bay. Unlike most of the Panhandle they're building and people are moving in. Freeport must be doing something right. DR Horton just bought a bunch of lots and The Hammock Bay Building Company was offering a college education paid if you bought one of thier homes. This is the best value in Hammock Bay IMO.
Hammock Bay Freeport FL Real Estate

About the same price as a DR Horton but way better quality. It's also in the Sounds neighborhood which has the largest lots and most homes in there are custom versus cookie cutter.
I doupt it will be around long at this price. Just passing it along.

High schools? One thing about Walton County is your child can go to ANY school they want including So. Walton. You just have to get them there. There are quite a few kids that "go over the bridge" as we call it so car pooling is an option too. Just keep in mind that Freeport and So. Walton are THE rivals in Walton county. So. Walton has never beat Freeport in football. It's big bragging rights.

As for the demographics, it really is a mix. Symphony has the most kids. That's because DR Horton was the builder and offered the least expensive homes. But, it's also where you hear the most bickering about un-mowed yards or a boat in a driveway. The other neighborhoods are a mix of all ages of families and retired. It really just depended on what people could afford. Whispers and Sounds were the upper end with larger lots and custom homes.

All summer there's the "Poor mans BBQ" on weekends. A pot luck. There's a bunco group, and poker night too. We frequent the movie theater quite a bit with a bottle of wine and a good DVD and invite neighbors.

Last edited by HammockBayer; 12-08-2010 at 09:53 AM..

Old 12-12-2010, 08:00 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,017,590 times
Freeports population has doubled since the last census.

Freeport High is a nice new school, I'd see nothing wrong with it. You've got to remember that part of the reason the schools "grades" are lower than others is it takes in a lot of students from some really backwooded areas around here. I have a friend who works in social services in the area, and weekly she is going to meth houses and removing kids from them. This isn't in Freeport, but in areas where kids go to freeport high.

I like this are because its growing. Some of my friends in Niceville have called Freeport "where blue water was 20 years ago". A small community, growing fast. If you can get in now, do it, in 10 years your property value will double. Hell I'm living on the water with access to the gulf for less than 200,000 dollars. Thats crazy nuts in Florida for a 3 bedroom 2 bath house.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 AM

20 posts, read 71,250 times
Hammock Bay real estate -- use the company broker or get your own?

I visited Hammock Bay last year and got a nice tour of the development from one of the kind gentlemen on the "Hammock Bay sales team". If you were to buy a home in Hammock Bay should you get your own outside realtor or would it be OK to use these folks to broker the deal? I'm concerned about conflict of interests. It seems that the development has its own sales force and from the looks of things on their website, bundles all of the sales into one marketing package.

Curious about your thoughts and any recommendations on a realtor for Hammock Bay and So Wal areas.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 12,618 times
Hi we are moving down there in June 2011. Wondering what anyone thinks now in 2011 of Hammock Bay vs. BWB. Have kids in school, so schools are important to us, but so is the quality of life. Any thoughts? Looks like we would get a better place to live in Hammock bay, but drive lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida