U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 AM

207 posts, read 661,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretasrose View Post
Anyone know what kind of drive it would be from freeport to Eglin AFB?

Long and boring. Its a 2 lane road and you better not exceed the speed limit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
The bits of the road through Basin Bayou and Choctaw Beach were you can see the bay offers variety, and there's some dodge-em wildlife wandering in off Eglin reservation to keep you alert. A few years back, we saw a road kill black bear smack in the middle of Choctaw Beach. (well as much as there is a middle to Choctaw Beach.)

Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,398 times
Let's get update ..... Looking to purchase in HB and I am realtor who has lived (from TN) in SRB ......love the HB amenities ....... Know the market stalled but can't find many negatives except for hospital/ doc care (as an almost retired person) ..... Any thoughts for my comfort level??? In reading all posts, see there are a few preferred areas ..... Most upscale? Whispers ? Passages ? ( and I mean with larger lots and more of a custom build) .......any insight greatly appreciated

Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM

207 posts, read 661,756 times
The lack of decent medical care is a huge deterrent to this area. I speak from experience and this is a major reason I plan on staying here temporarily. If you have a chronic health problem you may want to investigate this before moving to the area. Many physicians here are not accepting new patients. If you are military you may be in luck (or not) with getting seen at Eglin...

Regarding a custom builder--investigate this very carefully. Many in this area claim to be "custom" builders but are not. Florida builders are known for lowballing then hit you with "change orders". Buyer beware....

Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM

I see Sacred Heart-Emerald Coast as a pretty significant upgrade to the HCA options in the area. Not perfect, but very much a welcome addition to the area.

We never miss a Parade of Homes in these parts, and among the upscale builders, we've been very impressed by O'Shea (their ICB homes are amazingly energy efficient and hurricane proof) Randy Wise, Tracy Acree, and Dixon Kazek off the top of my head. Luke & Blue also had some nice homes in Hammock Bay, IIRC.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,398 times
Thank you both for your responses ...... Really leaning towards HB ....do have chronic issues but more of a chronic pain nature than life- threatening .....maybe if I'd swim more and walk my dogs in this glorious weather, I would decrease the pain probs!!!! Prett familiar with area ... Used to own home in SRB but to get the quality at affordable pricing plus yard for 3 doggies.... think we need something with more of a 'lifestyle' resort living without excessive fees/ costs ....I actually used to sell in Defuniak before the huge market crash and kinda got used to the pleasant drive across the bay .... I honestly have never been a 'Destin proper' fan ( especially tourist peak season/ congestion ) so want something without that hassle ... I am aware of some of the builders and have meetings planned with a few next week as well as a few developers....can't stand to see the nice SRB homes (or elsewhere for that matter) where the home is exceptionally nice but due to market crash, lot next door is a mess and roads/infrastructure never completed.....just want peaceful place to live, work (at home), with oodles of amenities to enjoy without the hassle of upkeep ... We're scaling down from 3120 sq ft to approx 1900 and a giving up our in ground pool and acre+ ....ready to slow down and stop and smell the roses and eliminate so much constant and tedious upkeep!!! Takes away. The enjoyment.... Love all comments!!!!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,521 times
So now that we're a few more years into this community, what are opinions on it? We're thinking about moving from Knoxville, TN to this area. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:14 PM

Still kind of slowly plugging along. Original developer just pled guilty to some felony campaign funding violations and is awaiting sentencing, but that's not going to have an impact on day to day life out there. What does make me wonder a bit is that original developer is also now trying to sell off some commercial property in Ft. Walton Beach that cash flows quite well, and I'm not sure about the logic behind that unless HB needs the cash infusion.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,521 times
Thank you for the info!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
I have enjoyed reading everything in this thread. I see that a a publix and Walmart were scheduled to be built. Have they finished?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida