U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 PM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times

Advertisements

Publix Freeport still has their sign up on the land saying they're coming real soon now, but the company seems to have shifted over to opening in Niceville (permits and site work ongoing with a January 2014 completion date) instead. I suspect they're waiting for some unspecified home construction threshold to be hit before proceeding with the project. Freeport Walmart remains vaporware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,883 times
Thank you everyone for the informative posts.. We are planning to move to HB once our house sells in TX. I wanted to know also if Publix and Walmart are being built.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 AM

2 posts, read 5,389 times
We are about 95% sure that we will be moving to HB in the very near future. Exactly how bad are the Freeport schools? Due to work times and locations, they will be required to ride the bus and attend the schools they are zoned for. Our kids have attended several different schools in Okaloosa County and Bay County, and there's definitely a huge difference between the overall quality between these two counties. I know Walton County schools are ranked high as a whole but it appears that Freeport may not be up to par. Any insight would be much appreciated! BTW, we will have one in HS and two in MS.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:02 PM

Elementary schools are pretty decent; it's the secondary level where the quality starts to seem to slide. It's too bad there are transportation issues because the expansion of Seaside charter to high school grades and into some space by South Walton HS probably would have been your best bet if sports weren't a concern. (I'm not sure how sports will work out there.)

Old 05-17-2013, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,389 times
My boys are into soccer, cross-country/track, as well as band. Does the MS even have a band? I haven't seen one listed on their website. Also, what is the overall issue with the schools? The reviews are all over the place -- they are either loved or hated. My boys are currently in Bay County and while I'm not impressed, they are ok. Previously they attended Davidson in Cview and before that RBCS in Nville.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 PM

Lack of AP and advanced courses is cone common complaint I hear, and the schools don't tend to encourage kids to aim high for college or life. And for all that Freeport has seen an influx of higher SES families in the newer developments like HB, Windswept, etc. it's still got a pretty high percentage of kids qualifying for school lunch and parents who didn't get beyond a few classes at Gulf Coast.

Okaloosa and parts of Santa Rosa just skew a lot higher percentage of kids from white collar/high tech employment families than any place in the panhandle outside of Tallahassee, and it creates a different set of school expectations.

Not sure how mobile you are within the panhandle, but Holley-by-the-Sea might be worth looking into- doesn't have the general image/branding that HB does, but it's more affordable than Bluewater, you can find new/newer homes in a wide variety of sizes and prices, the recreation center is really awesome, and it puts you into either Navarre or Gulf Breeze HS attendance areas of Santa Rosa County schools, which are both generally regarded as good to very good.

Last edited by beachmouse; 05-17-2013 at 11:38 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM

12 posts, read 33,011 times
Ok, so now it's early 2014... has that Publix been built? Is the market recovering? My husband & I are looking at the Panhandle for retirement. We want to be near Eglin AFB (he's retired military) but can't afford the new homes in Niceville or the insurance on the older homes. Will Freeport (and Hammock Bay) be our solution? We plan to stay in whatever house we buy until they drag us off to the cemetery...

Old 11-20-2015, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,257 times
Hi everyone,

For those who decided to live in the HB area or have been living there....what are your thoughts on the community now? This thread started awhile ago and I'm curious if you are still loving the area? My husband and I will be checking out the area in a couple of weeks and are really interested in HB. We are part of the EOD community of Eglin and really want a great community to raise our 7 month old twins. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.
Also, Im a stay at home mom who was an elementary teacher, so we decided to homeschool. I would be interested to know if HB has many homeschool families?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2016, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,233 times
Also interested in how you all feel about Hammock Bay now? My husband, two sons (5 & 6), and I are considering a move to the panhandle from St Louis. Hammock Bay has caught our eye...

Old 02-24-2016, 06:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,233 times
��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida