U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 PM

25 posts, read 62,602 times

Advertisements

Hi!

-I.m a 24 yr old young professional strongly considering relocating from South Carolina to Gainesville, FL w. my job. I plan on visiting the area & b.c it's FLA, I'm sure I will fall in love w. Gainesville wx alone. However i've been trying to find roomie options & can only seem to come up w. stuff that looks very student populated (been searching on Craigslist). Now I'm a very easy going girl, but I've sorta got accustomed to not really being a student anymore(although I'm looking @ UF's MFA program), I currently like to live w. ppl who are working a corporate career.

Are there any areas in Gainesville further out from UF? What are the best parts of town? How is the young, post grad, mid-20s social scene. I don't know the specific address for my job just yet as they just opened the office there. Any advice would be great.

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 05:40 AM

509 posts, read 1,481,309 times
Try looking on line at the Gainesville Sun or the Independent Florida Alligator. They both list rentals and have an Apartment Finder search. The problem with looking in Gainesville for a rental is that almost anywhere you are likely to fine a group of students living there. The areas that are "further out" are Newberry, Alachua, etc., but they are like 20 miles out. With a student population as large as UF has and then Santa Fe College is also in town, the place is swarming with students. Good Luck!

Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 AM

25 posts, read 62,602 times
Thx for the tip...I will definitely look there. Yea I just clicked over to Tampa on Craigslist & they had a ton of professional ppl looking for tenants, apt renters, etc. Ughhhh I hope this search won't be too much of a headache, I'm not looking forward to living w. students had a horrible living experience just 6mths ago. thx for the luck, it's starting to look like i'll need it!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:51 AM

460 posts, read 1,023,337 times
I'm from G'ville and liked it a lot but I will say there's not really a lot of professional jobs, short of the hospitals and a few other major employers. It is mostly a college town, with the accompanying service economy. So, it might be harder to find professional roomies.

I would concentrate my search on the NW part of town as there are more families and professionals there, although sometimes you can find something in Haile Plantation, SW part of town, that is also for families and professionals vs. students.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,272,770 times
You'll want to stay west of 75 or live downtown. Having gone to UF and now living back in Gainesville I think it's mainly a college and family town. If I were single and young with no ties to UF I might look at Haile Plantation by the town center or downtown Gainesville.

Like the other poster said there isn't much corporate life here at all. It mainly students and families.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 PM
R66

145 posts, read 362,279 times
GAINESVILLE SUCKS if you are single over 30 years of age. I hated life there. If you are a a college kid or family person w/kids, and working 9-5 you'll love it. No culture, no pro sports, in the middle of nowhere, and it's very hot in summer w/no breeze! Nothing to do and the locals have no passion. It's so hot you can't do anything from May-Sept. I read some place Gainesville has more suicides than any other city per capita in USA.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
GAINESVILLE SUCKS if you are single over 30 years of age. I hated life there. If you are a a college kid or family person w/kids, and working 9-5 you'll love it. No culture, no pro sports, in the middle of nowhere, and it's very hot in summer w/no breeze! Nothing to do and the locals have no passion. It's so hot you can't do anything from May-Sept. I read some place Gainesville has more suicides than any other city per capita in USA.
I agree that it's not best for single and over 30 but your reasons don't have much basis. No culture? It's a college which automatically gives it more culture than most cities in FL.

No idea where you got your suicide claim. The highest suicide rates have always been in western states.

Last edited by Gatornation; 03-12-2010 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 PM

96 posts, read 316,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You'll want to stay west of 75 or live downtown. Having gone to UF and now living back in Gainesville I think it's mainly a college and family town. If I were single and young with no ties to UF I might look at Haile Plantation by the town center or downtown Gainesville.

Like the other poster said there isn't much corporate life here at all. It mainly students and families.
Lol, Gainesville has a downtown, dude , it's a ant pile compared to any other city in Florida. I extremely dislike it. Once I had to visit there and I felt claustrophobic and it smelled like .... ugh. I never want to visit that place again!

Old 03-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyPain View Post
Lol, Gainesville has a downtown, dude , it's a ant pile compared to any other city in Florida.
Very helpful to the thread. Maybe you can weigh in if someone has questions about the circus.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:20 PM

43,858 posts, read 44,596,346 times
I grew up in Gainesville. If you live outside of the city.... there really won't be any of that young fun party scene you are looking for and it's a long drive to get home after anything you do in Gainesville. There ARE lots of students in the area, but it is also an area with many young professionals looking for roommates. Try checking 'houses that rent rooms' in the local classifieds/Craigslist. You may find a more adult situation there and it still be fun.

Good luck to you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or