Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we move?
Move to Kissimmee 0 0%
Move to Orlando 1 5.56%
Move to Gainesville 5 27.78%
Move to Tampa/Clearwater 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 10,537 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am seriously thinking about moving to Florida. I have been thinking about it for a couple of years- and this fall is the perfect time to move.

My contract with the hospital will be finished in September, and my husband is going to receive his bachelors in August. I would like to move somewhere where we can find new jobs of course- me as an RN and my husband in IT. We don't have any kids- so no worry there.

However, I was raised in Virginia Beach- so the beach can't be any further than an hour away. I don't want to be far from a city also- especially since Hubby is from the city. I like a lot of culture/different ethnicities--a lot of things to do---maybe broadway shows or some kind of artsy/music entertainment.

I know I'm asking for a lot...but just as long as we are not too far away from "something to do" we'll be ok. Another important factor, a good church. I'm used to a non-denominational Christian church.

We don't want to move to South Florida...we're thinking either Gainesville, Tampa/Clearwater, Orlando, or Kissimee. We are looking forward to warm winters!

I would really appreciate all and any advice on where to go!! Thank you so very much.

Last edited by mrsjcrivera; 02-08-2010 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:53 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
If you want truly "warm" winters you will have to live South of West Palm Beach where the Tropics actually start.

It rarely gets cold there in the winters.

But comparatively any place in florida will be warmer than most areas of the country during the winters.

For what you wanted in the way of Entertainment... DO NOT move to Gainesville. Not enough of the big city entertainment.

Tampa, Orlando, and Miami/South Florida would fit your description, but be warned these areas are VERY densely populated and you will deal with traffic on a daily basis!

I think if you were so inclined consider North Florida as it could offer you almost the same amenities.

Jacksonville fits your description really closely... Its a big city in North Florida, and you have the beach 10-15 miles from downtown...

Its not over-run though... Its not nearly as populated as the other areas you were considering minus gainesville.

Another Option I think you should consider is Tallahassee. It is the capital of florida and where I live. Tallahassee is not the largest city, however, It is definitely growing, and most of your needs can be met.

It is a great city for raising kids. if you planned to in the future.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I think somewhere in the expanded Tampa Bay Area would suit your needs nicely. Tampa/St. Pete is a pretty large area with all kinds of neighborhoods and things to do. There are smaller coastal cities, such as Sarasota an hour to the south (lots of culture and entertainment here, and gorgeous beaches!), Dunedin and Tarpon Springs, or even the smaller self-contained city of Lakeland right between Tampa and Orlando (but further from the beaches).

Lots of options here, it would be worth it for you to explore this entire area.

Gainesville is a college town, and too far from any beaches, and just stay away from Kissimmee, period, not nice.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Thank you so much for all of the advice. We are leaning towards the Tampa area. How is the job market for registered nurses and Information Technologists?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjcrivera View Post
Thank you so much for all of the advice. We are leaning towards the Tampa area. How is the job market for registered nurses and Information Technologists?
Nursers are needed pretty much everywhere, so I don't envision you having a hard time finding a job in such a huge market like Tampa.

Tampa is somewhat of a technology hub for florida, and everyone these days has an IT department..

I love the Tampa Bay area, Its gorgeous, and meets so many needs,

I would move their if I could get a job. But, I dont have the credentials or a specialized field.

Unfortunately its a secret no longer and be prepared for RIDICULOUS traffic. Especially if you live on the Pinellas county side.

Having said that, I would say go for it, I bet you could line up some RN interviews before you head down.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 PM

I forgot to mention that I would like to make a career change---and need a good school that offers nutrition/dietician programs- which UF in Gainesville does! And the resident tuition is not too much (so I plan to start school as soon as I am considered a Florida resident). Nursing is great, always needed, but seriously thinking about making the move around Gainesville to pursue a new career and go to UF. I know a couple of people in Ocala, and plan on visiting them in April. I'm pretty excited. If my husband and I like it, we will begin to make the move there in September 2010.

Any opinions on Gainesville/Ocala?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:20 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
^^^ Gainesville got my vote, and is leading the poll thus far.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:32 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
Tampa area got my vote.

Close to the best beaches in Florida, central located so you can have access to everything for has to offer.

Growing up in Va Beach you will APPRECIATE the beaches like Clearwater, Siesta Keys, Anna Maria down to Venice Beach.

Just make sure you spend actual time in those towns before you make a move. Go down for a week or so and spend a day or two in each of your choices of towns.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:00 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Tampa's crime, traffic, and crazy drivers and their road rage make it a no-go for me. Too much like Orlando and Miami as far as that goes. I'd throw Jacksonville in the mix and throw out Tampa and/or Orlando.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Tampa's crime, traffic, and crazy drivers and their road rage make it a no-go for me. Too much like Orlando and Miami as far as that goes. I'd throw Jacksonville in the mix and throw out Tampa and/or Orlando.
Enough already, ComSense. I know you hate Orlando, but Tampa is NOTHING like Orlando or Miami, give me a break. I wouldn't live in Orlando if you gave me a place. I wouldn't live in Jax, either, but that is just a preference - too cold, and not nice enough beaches among other things.

Anyway, it's all just opinions, the OP should visit and decide what is best for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida