U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,772,343 times

Advertisements

Lets stay on topic, its about Winter 2010 in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,905,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I see happiness and glow on people's faces throughout the year here in the north, whether it be winter or summer. The winters and winter holidays in the north are glorious. If you now want to move to Florida that is fine, but you do not have to perpetuate the fallacy that all people in the north are miserable because it is completely untrue. The same can be said about the extreme heat in Florida where people can not even walk outside in the summer.
You accuse someone of perpetuating a fallacy and then come back with "people can not even walk outside in the summer"?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 PM

375 posts, read 839,345 times
Here in south florida we'e had LA weather. It's fantastic! Tommorow will hit the 80's. And as someone who's like this weather I hope all the warm weather liking plants(tomatoes especially) soak it all up

Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM

4,226 posts, read 5,681,699 times
Beautiful day today-overcast, rainy, cool. Reminds me of my roots. What a great winter!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM

109 posts, read 393,735 times
Nomadicus, You have a very good point. The problem is you can not please everyone. We in Northern Wisconsin depend on "out of State" as well as seasonal activities ( snowmobiling, cross country skiing, ice fishing, winter fests etc. as a source of income and to be honest with you many businesses have closed because we have had back to back warm winters with very little snow. This situation is the reverse of your situation and is the same problem. I have no idea if this is a trend that will continue all over the country or it is part of a cycle? Years ago we could depend on a 7 year cycle for lake levels and it held true for a good portion of my life but in the last several years our patterns of water tables and weather have reaked havoc with our tourism and farming. Please let us not become so self oriented that we only think ofour own comfort. Many times I have come home from an evening of fishing and cursed the "damn tourist" (same as snow birds" and my wife always reminds me how we made our living for so many years and if it were not for their infusion into small recreational areas, we would be footing all the big tax dollars and then I would have something to complain about. I am not without fault!!! When we lived in Florida I said to my wife, "Quick, get in the car, we are running up to Jacksonville. She said that is a long drive. I explained to her that it was rumored it was snowing up there and I wanted to wear a Flannel shirt and see snow". Sounds goofy but I quess all of us no matter where we relocate to always carry a little bit of the past with us, oh yeah, I heard the comments, I sure don't miss the cold weather and all that snow but if that was part of your childhood, a chill in the air every once in a while is as refreshing as a mild sunny day in the dead of winter in Wisconsin. Please do not take this comment to suggest that the low temps and cold that has hurt the ag and tourist industry in Florida should be a norm, I was only pointing out how easily we forget and a "gentle reminder" is nice. Bottom line just because you moved for your own personal circumstances do not let your sunny glow over shadow the person who needs that hot weather for their lively hood. thanks, lee

Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,284,857 times
I thought the cool spells were over, but it looks like we will be having some lows in the 40s this week. Sucks for the spring breakers, does not look like good beach weather all week. It better be warmer for my spring break in two weeks, at least in the 80s.

If I'm not mistaking, it has only hit 80 once in Orlando so far in 2010. Thats crazy.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:14 PM

4,226 posts, read 5,681,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
Nomadicus, You have a very good point. The problem is you can not please everyone. We in Northern Wisconsin depend on "out of State" as well as seasonal activities ( snowmobiling, cross country skiing, ice fishing, winter fests etc. as a source of income and to be honest with you many businesses have closed because we have had back to back warm winters with very little snow. This situation is the reverse of your situation and is the same problem. I have no idea if this is a trend that will continue all over the country or it is part of a cycle? Years ago we could depend on a 7 year cycle for lake levels and it held true for a good portion of my life but in the last several years our patterns of water tables and weather have reaked havoc with our tourism and farming. Please let us not become so self oriented that we only think ofour own comfort. Many times I have come home from an evening of fishing and cursed the "damn tourist" (same as snow birds" and my wife always reminds me how we made our living for so many years and if it were not for their infusion into small recreational areas, we would be footing all the big tax dollars and then I would have something to complain about. I am not without fault!!! When we lived in Florida I said to my wife, "Quick, get in the car, we are running up to Jacksonville. She said that is a long drive. I explained to her that it was rumored it was snowing up there and I wanted to wear a Flannel shirt and see snow". Sounds goofy but I quess all of us no matter where we relocate to always carry a little bit of the past with us, oh yeah, I heard the comments, I sure don't miss the cold weather and all that snow but if that was part of your childhood, a chill in the air every once in a while is as refreshing as a mild sunny day in the dead of winter in Wisconsin. Please do not take this comment to suggest that the low temps and cold that has hurt the ag and tourist industry in Florida should be a norm, I was only pointing out how easily we forget and a "gentle reminder" is nice. Bottom line just because you moved for your own personal circumstances do not let your sunny glow over shadow the person who needs that hot weather for their lively hood. thanks, lee
I liked your post, but as far as missing or being nostalgic about MY childhood weather (I was pretty much raised in Florida), nothing could be further from the truth. After close to 40 years here, I soon hope to never experience too many days over 75 degrees. The friends I grew up with (all life-long Floridians), have either got the hell out or croaked. I stuck around because I had the most to lose by leaving, but not much longer.
As far as those who have suffered some financially from what I consider the best winter in recent memory-too bad. Get a back up plan, plant heartier crops, go to Hawaii for vacation. I don't recall getting much sympathy from anyone when I'm on the verge of heat stroke (yes, I work outside- somebody has to do it). If every winter was like this, I'd almost consider staying. Almost, but probably not.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,518,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I liked your post, but as far as missing or being nostalgic about MY childhood weather (I was pretty much raised in Florida), nothing could be further from the truth. After close to 40 years here, I soon hope to never experience too many days over 75 degrees. The friends I grew up with (all life-long Floridians), have either got the hell out or croaked. I stuck around because I had the most to lose by leaving, but not much longer.
As far as those who have suffered some financially from what I consider the best winter in recent memory-too bad. Get a back up plan, plant heartier crops, go to Hawaii for vacation. I don't recall getting much sympathy from anyone when I'm on the verge of heat stroke (yes, I work outside- somebody has to do it). If every winter was like this, I'd almost consider staying. Almost, but probably not.
I have said this before on here and no there is NO sympathy for any of us who work outside in it. I do know how to avoid the heatstroke issue, I got it back in 1999 and NEVER want to do it again.

I am actually shocked at the weather staying this cool, this long. I have never seen this since I came here in 1994. Last week when it got to 83 and humid, I was already thinking, "how am I gonna get through this summer, and it's not even hot yet"... One more summer......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or