U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:01 PM

917 posts, read 2,278,841 times

Advertisements

Back in 2005 Jeb Bush, the governor at the time, tried to address this perception of Florida after a number of high profile abductions. He blamed the transient nature of the Florida population as being part of the problem.

Quote:
Bush admits Florida children vulnerable
"You don't know who your next-door neighbor is," the governor said on recent child abductions.

Associated Press
Published May 24, 2005
PENSACOLA - Gov. Jeb Bush on Monday blamed a spate of child abductions in Florida on a disintegration of "traditional, wholesome family life."
Initially he argued that this state is no different from others in respect to such crimes, but then he acknowledged the problem may be worse in Florida because of its highly mobile population.
"It breaks my heart," Bush told reporters after a bill-signing ceremony. "It's disturbing to me as governor of the state that when I turn on the cable and see a story play out that it's one of our citizens, and one of our most precious children."
"There's no scientific evidence that Florida's different than any other state," he said at first. "We just happen to be on TV more."
But then he quickly noted that Florida has more new people moving into it than any other state, ranks third in the number leaving and has significant movement within its borders.
"You don't know who your next-door neighbor is," Bush said. "The web of community life doesn't surround these children to the extent that you would like to see.
"That's a downside of living in a state like Florida, which is incredibly dynamic.
The upside is it's incredibly dynamic."
Bush said there's only so much government can do.
"We can pass laws, and we have," he said. "We can put more money into making sure people spend longer prison sentences, and we do. We can provide more support for counseling; we do it.
"But at the end of the day if people don't assume personal responsibility for the most precious thing that they have, which is their children, in a free society, it's very difficult to eliminate these types of activities." http://www.sptimes.com/2005/05/24/St...lorida_c.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 PM

455 posts, read 858,723 times
When we moved to Punta Gorda four years ago from Cape Coral, I checked the FDLE database. I wouldn't let my daughter walk to school because there were over 24 RSOs living within our zip code. I just checked again and there are only 3. I seem to recall something about PG Police having a special unit to monitor and track RSOs. This may be the reason the numbers have dropped. You might want to check with the law enforcement agency that will be serving your potential new home and see if they also have such a unit. I know of several other agencies that do.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 03-07-2010 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 PM

41 posts, read 108,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
When we moved to Punta Gorda four years ago from Cape Coral, I checked the FDLE database. I wouldn't let my daughter walk to school because there were over 24 RSOs living within our zip code. I just checked again and there are only 3. I seem to recall something about PG Police having a special unit to monitor and track RSOs. This may be the reason the numbers have dropped. You might want to check with the law enforcement agency that will be serving your potential new home and see if they also have such a unit. I know of several other agencies that do.
How are the schools in PG? We've driven threw a few times, but never stopped. Is there a sense of community? Do the kids go outside and play? Every year we visit and comment that you don't see any kids outside playing street hockey or basket ball. With only three in PG, that sounds comparable to where we live now.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 PM

455 posts, read 858,723 times
There's plenty of kids in our neighborhood. The schools are so-so. My daughter was in High School when we moved here so I can't speak about elementary schools. We really like Punta Gorda. The crime rate is very low. We moved here after Hurricane Charley and I noticed how people would greet each other in the stores, ask about friends, ask if they were still in the FEMA park, etc. It really seems like people know each other...it's a real small town atmosphere.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:44 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,850,755 times
Florida is #5 in the country

Top Ten States With The Greatest Number of Sex Offenders (http://behavioralhealthcentral.com/index.php/20100226211194/Clinical-News/top-10-states-with-the-greatest-number-of-sex-offenders-listed-at-criminalpagescom.html - broken link)

Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,189,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Top Ten States With The Greatest Number of Sex Offenders (http://behavioralhealthcentral.com/index.php/20100226211194/Clinical-News/top-10-states-with-the-greatest-number-of-sex-offenders-listed-at-criminalpagescom.html - broken link)
Boy, some of the other states really surprised me

Old 03-08-2010, 05:28 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,876,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Like was said before I think it has a lot to do with the rules in each state. Like someone else said, NY doesn't make any level 1 sex offenders register, FL does. Hence, FL would show up with more sex offenders. I usually don't take these "lists" very seriously. They're interesting to talk about but that's about it. Seems everyone has some kind of list about something and they never seem to match up.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 AM

917 posts, read 2,278,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
I live in NP and would have to respectfully disagree with you. There have been two really high profile crimes in NP in the last 15 years. Things like what you mention happen in every city. Again, it comes down to keeping a careful watch on your kids. If you read the background of the father of Coral Rose Fullwood (the child that was murdered) you might see where this some of this stems from. The Denise Lee case was a random act of violence.

I think because they are such a rarity around here they get a lot of press when something like that happens. In some bigger cities these kind of things are much more common and so you don't hear about them much.
Well, the Denise Lee case probably was a "random act of violence", but anyone living in the area at the time would remember that a big reason for all the continuing bad press in the case, was the fact that the Charlotte County 911 operator "dropped the ball".
Quote:
Controversy erupted when it became clear that a witness, Jane Kowalski of Tampa, had called the Charlotte County 911 center on the night of the murder, reporting a child fighting in the back seat of a dark-colored Camaro. The dispatch center never relayed this information to deputies on the street, who were looking for King and his green Camaro at the time.Denise Amber Lee News | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota Florida | Southwest Florida's Information Leader
The fact that the victim was a police officer's daughter and might have been saved if not for the foul up only made matters worst. Her father and husband have fought to improve standards and training for 911 dispatchers since then.
Quote:
The dropped 911 call in Charlotte County led Lee's husband, Nathan, and Goff to pursue statewide standards and training for 911 dispatchers. In 2008, a law named for Denise Lee that set voluntary standards for emergency call centers was passed by the Florida Legislature, but the family continues to push for more changes and improvements to 911 systems in Florida and nationally. The family formed the Denise Amber Lee Foundation last year.
A more recent incident in North Port, which resulted in the firing of a 911 operator, has raised new concerns about their 911 system.
Quote:
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - Operator Nadia Ka****skaya was fired Dec. 29 for failing to send help to a man after a passerby reported seeing him beside a North Port road. After remaining unattended for 19 hours, 55-year-old Brian Wood of Port Charlotte was found dead by emergency workers Dec. 12, after a second 911 call alerted authorities.
The failure by North Port's 911 dispatch touched off a public furor and an internal investigation by the department found Ka****skaya had failed to gather basic information about the emergency call or send help, breaking North Port police policies...
...The Wood case touched a nerve because of North Port's public efforts to push for 911 reform legislation after resident Denise Lee, 21, was abducted from her home, raped and murdered in January 2008. Lee was killed despite multiple 911 calls, including from a witness who saw Lee and her killer, Michael King, on U.S. 41 in Charlotte County shortly before Lee's death. That call was handled by Charlotte's 911 system, but deputies on the road were never given the information.More training for North Port 911 center | HeraldTribune.com
With North Port's recently announced $6.9 million budget shortfall, blamed in part by a dwindling tax base and a virtual halt on new construction, will things get better or worse?
Quote:
The dissenting vote came from Commissioner Mike Treubert, who said the move could require drastic spending reductions later.
"That means everybody's job is on the line, including police and fire," Treubert said...Fire Chief Bill Taaffe reported his department was on track to miss budget revenues by $100,000 and possibly much more. Treubert asked Taaffe what he would do to balance the budget short of dipping into a dwindling general fund. The chief acknowledged it would likely mean slashing operating costs.

2010 construction is expected to show zero growth after posting a 2.3 percent increase last year and 5 percent in 2008. Just 40 single-family homes and 75,000 square feet of new commercial space are expected to come online this year.
North Port faces $6.9 million budget shortage | Section North Port | HeraldTribune.com
These two recent stories aren't helping public perception much.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...medium=twitter

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...ll-was-skipped

Last edited by tommy-105; 03-08-2010 at 06:04 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 06:20 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,594,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Boy, some of the other states really surprised me
Ya, Me too!! I was surprised to see Wis. is #3? We almost never hear of a sex crime in the news here. Very very rare I guess I just go's to show crime is in every state and if you are going to let it affect your everyday life, well then you are probably over blowing the situation. Florida will be just fine, no worries Mr.Cool

Old 03-08-2010, 06:54 AM

15,111 posts, read 31,000,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Like was said before I think it has a lot to do with the rules in each state. Like someone else said, NY doesn't make any level 1 sex offenders register, FL does. Hence, FL would show up with more sex offenders. I usually don't take these "lists" very seriously. They're interesting to talk about but that's about it. Seems everyone has some kind of list about something and they never seem to match up.
And in addition to that, it is not that shocking when you realize that Florida is the fourth most populated state.

If people take every list as "gospel" no one would move anywhere. At least Florida has a system to let people know who, what and where. I am pretty sure in some other states there are a LOT that no one knows about. In the old days without all this communication everyone had to fend for themselves. It is good to be concerned and aware, but put things in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or