Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:08 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
How many regular posters here have a first hand account of a Florida sex crime?
Gee, a poll about being raped. Now that's really sensitive. Is this sort of like "how many people here have ever won the lottery?"or "post a comment if you enjoy fishing!"

I might be a victim of a violent sex crime, but I certainly wouldn't post it on this forum. It's not something to take lightly or debate about, since it's a violation of one's body and often leaves a permanent scar both physically & emotionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 03:52 AM

455 posts, read 978,567 times
Quote:
Ex Law Enforcement here. How many examples would you like?

Stranger rape? Date rape? Date rape with drugging? Acquaintance rape? Gang rape? Child molestation-stranger, child molestation-familial? Abduction, rape? Attempted abduction, adult? Attempted abduction, child? Serial rapist? Serial rapist/murder?

Need any more? Is it really that important to minimize the crime of sexual assault to protect the local Real Estate market?

Last edited by MrsTommy; 03-13-2010 at 04:35 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 06:04 AM

93 posts, read 150,261 times
but its sunny

Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,476 times
Quote:
A few years back my employment led to me spending a few weeks at an Ocean front condo complex in St.Pete's Beach consisting of six buildings. Many of the units were rented out seasonally. While there, I noticed a number of very inefficient security devices intended to keep the public from accessing the first floor "open air" parking garages that all of these buildings had. An example would be the three foot tall gates that required a pass code to open. (anyone could climb over the gate.)

I made a comment to the head maintenance guy about the "security" and he told me that a young woman had been raped in one of the garages the previous year. All of the building's elevators had mirrors so someone could check out the cab before entering, which was good, but all of the elevators also had a notice for "guests" advising them of the rules of the complex. There was no warning on this list at all about security on the property or a need to be aware of one's surroundings. Visitors (who of course, wouldn't be aware of the incident) were on their own. This was a place where I saw children using the elevators, and walking through the garages alone with out any parents in sight. (to get to the pool or beach)

Their parents were kept in the dark, because disclosing a problem might have damaged the "family friendly" image that management was trying to portray.

Last edited by tommy-105; 03-13-2010 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:34 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Moderator cut: this post was removed

I am so sick to death of hearing this meritless argument. Go to National Sex Offender Registry and do a quick check of a FL zip code. You will notice that most of the squares (showing where offenders live or work) are red. This denotes a person who has been convicted of a sex crime against a CHILD. Not an innocent pee in the park.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-14-2010 at 10:07 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 12:07 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I am so sick to death of hearing this meritless argument. Go to [URL="http://www.familywatchdog.us/Default.asp"]National Sex Offender Registry[/URL] and do a quick check of a FL zip code. You will notice that most of the squares (showing where offenders live or work) are red. This denotes a person who has been convicted of a sex crime against a CHILD. Not an innocent pee in the park.
I agree!!

When I was on Barefoot Beach in Collier County, a man was masturbating behind the sea oats. I flagged down a young ranger, but the man ran away down a path. The ranger acted as this was commonplace and said they're usually harmless. Harmless? Any man who feels the need to take off his shorts to spank the monkey while a woman in a bathing suit walks by is a very deranged individual.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:49 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree!!

When I was on Barefoot Beach in Collier County, a man was masturbating behind the sea oats. I flagged down a young ranger, but the man ran away down a path. The ranger acted as this was commonplace and said they're usually harmless. Harmless? Any man who feels the need to take off his shorts to spank the monkey while a woman in a bathing suit walks by is a very deranged individual.
That used to happen all the time at Caperson beach in Venice. Last couple of years it has become more of a family beach, TG.

BTW...Mrcool, why haven't you posted a response to the sincere answers to your question?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,946,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
The distressingly high amount of sex offenders was a huge factor in our decision not to live full time (and school our children) in Sarasota.
We made the same decision for exactly the same reason... but will look to live in Siesta Key part time for now until we officially retire.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM

455 posts, read 978,567 times
Considering the transient nature of Florida's population, this is a frightening article about 49 State's non-compliance with Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act. Too many are slipping through the cracks.

Florida hasn’t complied with new sex offender tracking law yet, but is getting there » Naples Daily News

"We know that there are offenders that will reoffend, so it only makes common sense that there needs to be a system in place for better follow up and better supervision,” Allen said. “The last thing an offender needs is a situation where he can be anonymous, blend in and be around children.”

Old 03-14-2010, 03:59 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Default you need to make your own security

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
A few years back my employment led to me spending a few weeks at an Ocean front condo complex in St.Pete's Beach consisting of six buildings. ....
I made a comment to the head maintenance guy about the "security" and he told me that a young woman had been raped in one of the garages the previous year. All of the building's elevators had mirrors so someone could check out the cab before entering, which was good, but all of the elevators also had a notice for "guests" advising them of the rules of the complex. There was no warning on this list at all about security on the property or a need to be aware of one's surroundings. Visitors (who of course, wouldn't be aware of the incident) were on their own. This was a place where I saw children using the elevators, and walking through the garages alone with out any parents in sight. (to get to the pool or beach)

Their parents were kept in the dark, because disclosing a problem might have damaged the "family friendly" image that management was trying to portray.
Perfect illustration of how people think they are "safe" when they are not.
Someone earlier mentioned choosing a gated community for that reason.

We used to live in a small gated community in Naples, had been there for several years. While surfing the 'net I ran across the FL SexOffender list and input our address. Holy cow, an offender lived just down the block. I was a board member at the time and asked our manager how we could let people know because like all FL communities there were a lot of transient owners, some snowbirds and others renters or new owners.

He (the manager) wouldn't do anything. The sex offender was an owner and there is no law that says you have to tell your community about him. Up to each individual to do their own search.

So much for security behind your gates. (BTW my DH has a good def. of a gated community: a low security prison run by a gang.)

We now live south of Sarasota in a non-deed restricted neighborhood (no gates lol) and are happy as can be. Yes we ran a search for sex offenders before buying and yes there were 2 nearby at the time. Today I searched again and they have both moved farther away but still in the same town.

What really concerns me is how badly the local 911 call-center has handled several recent emergencies, most horribly Denise Amber Lee's rape/murder which could probably have been prevented. There have been other bad incidents as well.

Florida IS different than many other states because it has a tremendous transient population. Bad people take advantage of that. I like knowing who my neighbors are now, not many rentals on my street. And no sex offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida