U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:46 AM

41 posts, read 107,877 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid-thirties, with 3 middle school age children. All three have some degree of learning disabilities. I've noted that there are some very good schools in Sarasota County. My concern is this, I put in the adress of Ashton School in Florida's Sex Offender Registry, and there are 108 sex offenders(including sexual predators and mutiple offenders) within a 5 mile radius of the school. A few of these people were less than half a mile from the school. I looked up my zip code in WNY and there are 4 in my zip code total( and it's a pretty big area). Our goal has been to move to Sarasota for about 5 years now. We have been preparing and planning for a long time. I don't know if I could plop my children down in the middle of all these sleaze balls and hope for the best. Yet, I'm feeling sort of sad having to let my own dreams die. So here's the question: Why are there so many sex offenders in Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 AM

7,486 posts, read 19,851,071 times
Personally, I think that Florida has a very strict registration system and tracking system. I wonder if they are just better identified here then other areas. This point has been brought up before. I'd rather know where they are then not. Think about all the offenders that are not identified.

I was born and raised here and have three kids that were born and raised here as well. I think parenting is all about watching after your children. I don't let my kids walk to and from the bus stop, they don't hang at the mall, etc. I don't let them do that living in FL and I wouldn't let them do that if they lived in another state. Just a fact of life these days.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:30 AM

4,224 posts, read 5,665,370 times
Florida attracts criminals for the same reasons it attracts non-criminals. Unfortunately, everything in Florida is taken to the extreme (weather, traffic, population density, amount of sex offenders), there isn't anything moderate about the state. Another reason is the general feeling of disconnect from each other-other communities in other states wouldn't put up with huge amounts of sex offenders living in their town-in Florida, the feeling is "They don't live next door to me, so why should I care?"
I know these people live everywhere, but the sheer concentration of them in Florida is mind boggling.
My advice to you is, either accept the facts about the number of sex offenders here and protect your children to your best capability, or find another state to move to. These people aren't going anywhere and are only increasing in number.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Personally, I think that Florida has a very strict registration system and tracking system. I wonder if they are just better identified here then other areas. This point has been brought up before. I'd rather know where they are then not. Think about all the offenders that are not identified.

I was born and raised here and have three kids that were born and raised here as well. I think parenting is all about watching after your children. I don't let my kids walk to and from the bus stop, they don't hang at the mall, etc. I don't let them do that living in FL and I wouldn't let them do that if they lived in another state. Just a fact of life these days.
This is true. NYS does not register level one sex offenders (low risk). So we don't know how many of those there are around us.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg928 View Post
This is true. NYS does not register level one sex offenders (low risk). So we don't know how many of those there are around us.
Interesting. I wondered how other states track them.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 AM

I read on another post that Michigan color codes sex offenders license plates. Do you feel comfortable letting your kids go ride their bikes around the nieghborhood? I feel like a big part of growing up is falling down and then picking yourself up. I just don't want the wrong person helping them up. It's a real balancing act.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 AM

15,087 posts, read 30,930,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Great advice. I agree, they are just better identified in Florida. And I would certainly want to know where they are than not.

Florida is a beautiful, warm and highly populated state. Therefore we tend to have more of everything, both good and bad.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg928 View Post
I read on another post that Michigan color codes sex offenders license plates. Do you feel comfortable letting your kids go ride their bikes around the nieghborhood? I feel like a big part of growing up is falling down and then picking yourself up. I just don't want the wrong person helping them up. It's a real balancing act.
Yes, I feel comfortable letting my older kids go biking. They are always with friends when they go. I agree with you about letting them figure things out. I will let them bike to a friends house in the neighborhood (usually on the next street over) but I watch them leave and they call me when they get there. Guess I'm kinda careful but I think you have to be.

Didn't know that about MI. I suppose that would be one way identify them.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Great advice. I agree, they are just better identified in Florida. And I would certainly want to know where they are than not.

Florida is a beautiful, warm and highly populated state. Therefore we tend to have more of everything, both good and bad.
Good point. I don't let any of my kids go off alone. They are always in a group.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:47 AM

204 posts, read 516,716 times
This article's made the rounds more than a few times over the past couple years. It's UK based, but very indicative of our mindset here in the US as well:
How children lost the right to roam in four generations

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-462091/How-children-lost-right-roam-generations.html

One question that is hard to pin down is this: When it comes to child safety from predators, are things worse, or are we simply more aware, therefore they SEEM worse than in previous generations? (the truth probably lies somewhere between the two).

Priorities are a strange thing: there are many adults who would wail and scream at the abduction of their children, but can't be bothered to get off their damn cell phones long enough to chaperon their small children through the parking lot at the mall or grocery store safely. Regularly, I see parents letting young children walk behind or between parked cars without being close enough to snatch them out of harms way- they are too short and far too close to be seen in the rear view mirror, folks.

I've often noticed what I think of as a drama-death-wish that certain parents have ... kind of a subconscious Michael-Jackson-Dangling-Infant-Over-Balcony-Railing thing. The parking lot example is just the easiest to bring to mind, but there are plenty of others... most of them centered on not being attentive. Twitter causes Twagedy, Facebook before Family (apologies for the dark humor).

HHH

Last edited by HenryHelmhazzard; 03-02-2010 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Stray html cut and paste tags on URL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or