U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,099,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Alright, fellas, let's not get our panties in a bunch over this. Let's face it - some people can jump into a pool in their birthday suits when it's 25 degrees while others need hat, gloves, scarf, ski-mask, overcoat when it's 75. ""Whining temps" will thus vary from individual to individual.
when I was growing up here in Florida, we would see people going in the lakes swimming or skiing in the winter months and we, mostly my parents, would say..."must be a Yankee. No body in their right mind would be in the water today....." it wasn't said meanly, just matter-of-factly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:06 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,099,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
R.I.F.

I said it does not run all night not that I turn it off. It will come on here and there through the night but certainly does not run all night.

A well insulated house is going to stay much cooler than it is outside during the summer, if someone's AC is running nonstop then they have issues with insulation, weather stripping or something to that effect.
Agree with the time frame. I run mine the same way. In addition, I have a huge oak tree that covers the southern exposure to my home.

Some years are better than others. My electric bill only got to $200 this cold winter. In 35 years there, it usually runs $90 to $150. Granted, my house is only about 1500 Living area.

My husband would run it year round but, I hate that. He is from PA and suffers from the heat but he loves Florida, everything about it, including me.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,515,306 times
Well I gues everyone can stop the Winter Whining with the nice dose of humidity we were blessed with today.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:02 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,449,183 times
Yep, I think it's over
The only good thing is we're getting some much needed rain here.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:19 PM

4,225 posts, read 5,678,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
I'm not an MD, journalist, but I think a lil old sweating helps rid the body of toxins and keeps one healthy...I know you probably have a link that prooves the opposite!
All that sweating must be why the Southern states are considered so healthy.

The Healthiest And Unhealthiest States - Forbes.com

Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Best thing about the rain, ALL the pollen is gone, and I can breathe.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 PM

109 posts, read 393,561 times
chrisa70, I agree with you 100%. I do not think an intelligent human being actually expects Floeida to be a bonafide "Utopia". I do believe this may have been a misguided historic thought pattern that made many flee to the sunny beaches of "SOUTHERN" Florida and I think we can all agree not all of Florida is Boca or the Keys. I think there was a mass migration to Florida in days gone by but I have to think any one capable of turning a weather channel on or use a computer will be able to ascertain, no area offers a quarantee. The point you make mirrors mine. I sought the sun and beaches of Southern Florida but eventually settled in Vero Beach as it was on the edge of the tropic zone. I moved back to my home State of Wisconsin as this was my childhood home. I do however love the State of Florida and look forward to spending some quality time near Yankeetown. The only thing I hope is that area will be able to stand it's ground on develpment as that is a targeted growth area. This may sound strange but after having made my living in the land business it sickens me to see so little regard given to controlled growth. I was on the County Board in my area for many years and
even at my own expense, I always advocated "REGULATING GROWTH" not "RESTRICTING GROWTH"> I am sorry I got off on a tangent and my final statement echoes yours, I will come here with my eyes open and take what is given and be thankful. If I wanted only beaches and sun, I would move to a South American country. 50 F. Thank you very much.. thanks, lee

Old 03-12-2010, 09:37 PM

790 posts, read 1,463,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
My AC doesn't even run all night during July and August.

April and May it is in the 60's and 70's for 12 hours of the day and I usually don't even have the AC on until mid May and it goes back off in October.
You're out of your mind if you shut you're A/C off anytime in July + August. And I know you're slightly cooler along the Gulf Coast than we are in Orlando but 60's + 70"s for 12 hrs per day in April + May is b.s.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,895,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
You're out of your mind if you shut you're A/C off anytime in July + August. And I know you're slightly cooler along the Gulf Coast than we are in Orlando but 60's + 70"s for 12 hrs per day in April + May is b.s.
I never said I shut my AC off in July and August.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
I agree, maybe from 11pm to 6am.... NOT during the day, no way no how...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida