Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Part of that .55 cents gets into the pockets of corrupt Boss Tweed type characters holding office. The net effect is that the rest of the country subsidizes NJ for prosecutorial costs at the federal level.
Thats funny since Florida has more political corruption than NJ.

Most Corrupt States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thats funny since Florida has more political corruption than NJ.

Most Corrupt States
LOL...before posting, you might wanna review the flaws in the analysis just below the chart...and you might wanna get a more recent and accurate one not from a partisan political blogger's site.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:31 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
a partisan political blogger's site.
The Corporate Crime Reporter is a bloggers site?

http://www.corporatecrimereporter.com/corrupt100807.htm

And just in case let me post the link to the report from the US Department of Justice, from where the rankings were based.

http://www.justice.gov/criminal/pin/docs/arpt-2006.pdf

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 PM

111 posts, read 251,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
EZICIT, I agree with your post. Not much to add but, I agree !
AnnieA - That's too bad - SOMEONE needs to come up with SOMEThING real soon - no?

Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 PM

111 posts, read 251,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
We are the 3rd largest exporter in the world after China and Germany, so we must be producing something...

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2078rank.html
But, don't you agree that spending more than you earn leads, eventually, to bankruptcy?
Who is responsible for increasing our exports and decreasing our imports? Would that alone solve our financial probems?
I don't see how we can recover until someone comes up with a plan.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZICIT View Post
But, don't you agree that spending more than you earn leads, eventually, to bankruptcy?
Who is responsible for increasing our exports and decreasing our imports? Would that alone solve our financial probems?
I don't see how we can recover until someone comes up with a plan.

I agree.

We need do manufacture goods that we need and can manufacture here.

We need to find a solution to our growing deficit in trade. Until then jobs in every state including Florida will be lost and never come back.

We have had people come back from Florida to bring us a bag of oranges and the the oranges are NOT from Florida. They were sold along the road as Florida Oranges and they are NOT Florida grown.

America needs to back to what worked, that is being not only a smart effective workforce but we need to be industrialized once again and force other countries to compete with us for a change.

Someone here said we are the worlds 3rd ranked exporter. But they forgot to add where we are as far as importing goes. We are horrible at importing the things we need.

We need to penalize companies who leave and want to bring back products to the US.

The recovery of this country depends on jobs and that will only come in manufacturing of the goods we consume and use here.

Florida should be a huge exporter of many goods with the vast ports and access to raw materials.

And yes, spending more then we make is a current problem. We need to stop the crazy spending on waste as it is leading us down a path of no return. Our current spending is out of control and has not create a single good paying long term job.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
I've been looking at real estate lately and almost every listing in Florida seems to be a short sale. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't a short sale mean that the homeowner has to be behind in mortgage payments by at least 3 months? So what's going to happen to all of these short sales? Even if someone sells a home for a bank approved short sale price, the seller is still obligated to pay off the loan.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
Since they've been so accurate up until now, what are the odds that they might be off 20 years into the future?

www.cml.org.uk/cml/filegrab/ (http://www.cml.org.uk/cml/filegrab/ - broken link) nv-2003-1.pdf?ref=3606

Moody’s continues to believe that lenders are structurally stronger than a decade ago.
In particular, credit appraisal, the ability to predict likely provisioning levels and the
speed with which lending criteria can be changed in response to changing market
conditions have all improved in recent years. Moody’s concludes that lenders are
therefore better able to cope with challenges, whatever form they take.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:48 PM

109 posts, read 439,951 times
gypsychic, Real Estate is based on usage, usage is based on location. We live in an area about 100 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul a very solid income based area. I have been in the land business for over 30 years and watched the transition from a tourism centered area to becoming a second home recreational setting. Needless to say this drove up the real estate prices until many local people could no longer afford their lakehomes. This market gave way to full scale development to accomadate the willing number of buyers lined up. It was just a matter of time until the bubble would burst but it will always be the same, those that have will alaways have and those that do not will fall by the wayside. There is only so much "desirable land" available, regardless of whether it is Lakeshore in Wisconsin or Sun and Sand in Florida. I think you will always see a certain amount migration to Florida just by the nature of an aging population that no longer can tolerate the cold. I do believe you are going to see less opportunists coming down to take advantage of rapid growth and the promise of sunny skies. I think you will see more growth in the center and northern Florida. The 50' and 60's good life is turned over several times and not always for the best. I was a County Superviser for many years and one of my main committees was "Zoning". I was put in this postion because being in the land business but also being local, I knew the differance between "REGULATING" vs "RESTRICTING". Growth is not bad in itsself but left to unchecked "regulation" your substructer will be permanetly damaged. On the other hand you can not take the "CONSERVATIONALISTS" view which is " I have mine you do not need yours". You asked for a glass of water and I turned on the hose but my point is I believe this country will never see things in the same way they once did and I truly believe Florida will change as it will become more stable and attract a quality newcomer who has no more intention but to live his/her life in a well developed area that allows them what they are seeking and in turn the life long resident will not see the transient population that has exploited this beautiful area for years. Well, so much for the soap box. Thanks for listening, lee

Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I agree.

We need do manufacture goods that we need and can manufacture here.

We need to find a solution to our growing deficit in trade. Until then jobs in every state including Florida will be lost and never come back.

We have had people come back from Florida to bring us a bag of oranges and the the oranges are NOT from Florida. They were sold along the road as Florida Oranges and they are NOT Florida grown.

America needs to back to what worked, that is being not only a smart effective workforce but we need to be industrialized once again and force other countries to compete with us for a change.

Someone here said we are the worlds 3rd ranked exporter. But they forgot to add where we are as far as importing goes. We are horrible at importing the things we need.

We need to penalize companies who leave and want to bring back products to the US.

The recovery of this country depends on jobs and that will only come in manufacturing of the goods we consume and use here.

Florida should be a huge exporter of many goods with the vast ports and access to raw materials.

And yes, spending more then we make is a current problem. We need to stop the crazy spending on waste as it is leading us down a path of no return. Our current spending is out of control and has not create a single good paying long term job.

Ending NAFTA would be a good start, also increasing tariffs on imports would also help. Its impossible to have free trade with countries that don't have our standards. In the North East, oil refineries are closing, partly because of the economy also due too a million barrel a day refinery in India thats shipping gasoline to the U.S. How many Fords and Chevys are in Japan, not too many I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida