Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:11 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,309 times

Advertisements

March 9, 2010

Moodys: No Florida Real Estate Recovery Until the 2030s -- Seeking Alpha

Bloomberg BusinessWeek is out with a piece on Florida’s misadventures in real estate. Apparently Eaton Vance is dumping Florida municipal bonds tied to real estate deals at $.26 on the dollar.
Still no need to mark down any of those bank assets, of course. The underlying assets will bounce back, we keep hearing. Well, Moody’ssays the Florida RE market might not recover until the 2030s.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...s-default.html

The day when Florida’s new-resident influx is sufficient to reflate property values may not come soon, a March 2 University of Florida report said. The state won’t return to the 300,000-a- year population gains it averaged over the last 30 to 40 years until 2014 or 2015, said Stan Smith, director of the school’s Bureau of Economic and Business Research in Gainesville.
“Florida’s gone through numerous booms and busts, but it’s always been bailed out by the fact population was growing rapidly,” Distressed Debt’s Lehmann said. “That’s stopped.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:42 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Florida's natural resources can't support all the building that contractors can build so this might be really good news. The aquifers needs to be recharged and that can't happen with runaway building and drought conditions.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
March 9, 2010

Moodys: No Florida Real Estate Recovery Until the 2030s -- Seeking Alpha

Bloomberg BusinessWeek is out with a piece on Florida’s misadventures in real estate. Apparently Eaton Vance is dumping Florida municipal bonds tied to real estate deals at $.26 on the dollar.
Still no need to mark down any of those bank assets, of course. The underlying assets will bounce back, we keep hearing. Well, Moody’ssays the Florida RE market might not recover until the 2030s.

Eaton Vance Dumps Dirt Bonds as Florida Land Districts Default - BusinessWeek

The day when Florida’s new-resident influx is sufficient to reflate property values may not come soon, a March 2 University of Florida report said. The state won’t return to the 300,000-a- year population gains it averaged over the last 30 to 40 years until 2014 or 2015, said Stan Smith, director of the school’s Bureau of Economic and Business Research in Gainesville.
“Florida’s gone through numerous booms and busts, but it’s always been bailed out by the fact population was growing rapidly,” Distressed Debt’s Lehmann said. “That’s stopped.”
Thanks for posting that - that is great news! I will probably be pretty close to meeting my maker by the time that happens, and I am overjoyed that hordes of people are going to stop coming here - let me enjoy the rest of my days here in what's left of my beautiful state!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Thanks for posting that - that is great news! I will probably be pretty close to meeting my maker by the time that happens, and I am overjoyed that hordes of people are going to stop coming here - let me enjoy the rest of my days here in what's left of my beautiful state!
lol. . . hordes of overly ambitious investors as well. . .

Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Florida's natural resources can't support all the building that contractors can build so this might be really good news. The aquifers needs to be recharged and that can't happen with runaway building and drought conditions.
I concur, the planning and overbuilding doesn't take into account the infrastructure and other resources that need to be developed with population growth, not to mention jobs. . .

Old 03-09-2010, 01:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
lol, gypsy...I know where you're coming from with that...the flippers and assorthed other characters of less than honorable reputation created a mess! But please, can I just squeeze into the state with my meager trappings...not coming to flip just to take a dip (in the water), no money to buy and sell, to make a quick buck and live to tell...just wanna sit at the beach, watch the waves roll in, the gals take a swim, and sip a pina colada.

Oh, I'll be contributing to the state in the daytime as as an accountant and writer...the beach bum thing is only part-time!!!!

I know, OP, I alone won't defy Moody's..but I do believe that their forecast is a little dire...people will still come down to the Sunshine State...but you'll be seeing quality not just quantity...now that ought to be good!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Do you have a link to the actual Moody's article?

I would be interested in reading that to get some context rather than one line pulled out of it by a blogger.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:54 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
I found a mention of it elsewhere and the title is misleading.

Here is what Moody's said about Florida.

Home prices won't regain peak this decade: Moody's - MarketWatch

Quote:
On a regional basis, Moody's said hard-hit states such as Florida and California will be among the last to recover and "will only regain their pre-bust peak in the early 2030s, well after the nation does." Meanwhile, a decimated Wall Street will weigh on New York's recovery, although the state's overall price decline will be less severe.
I don't think reaching peak prices is needed to be considered a recovery and is exactly why I wanted to read it in context.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I found a mention of it elsewhere and the title is misleading.

Here is what Moody's said about Florida.

Home prices won't regain peak this decade: Moody's - MarketWatch

I don't think reaching peak prices is needed to be considered a recovery and is exactly why I wanted to read it in context.
Excellent observation.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
lol, gypsy...I know where you're coming from with that...the flippers and assorthed other characters of less than honorable reputation created a mess! But please, can I just squeeze into the state with my meager trappings...not coming to flip just to take a dip (in the water), no money to buy and sell, to make a quick buck and live to tell...just wanna sit at the beach, watch the waves roll in, the gals take a swim, and sip a pina colada.

Oh, I'll be contributing to the state in the daytime as as an accountant and writer...the beach bum thing is only part-time!!!!

I know, OP, I alone won't defy Moody's..but I do believe that their forecast is a little dire...people will still come down to the Sunshine State...but you'll be seeing quality not just quantity...now that ought to be good!
As long as it's just to dip not flip, you can squeeze in here.

Actually, that article has made the rounds around here, and I do remember that they were just referring to the peak prices, which of course were never sustainable to begin with.

And I am ALL for the QUALITY people coming here - I will just keep it to myself as to what I consider "quality."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida