Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 42,205 times

Advertisements

Are property taxes different for a florida resident vs out of state resident who owns condo or home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 02:51 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Default Out of State

If out of staters don't have Fl. homestead exemption, they will pay higher taxes.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:11 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa+Florida View Post
Are property taxes different for a florida resident vs out of state resident who owns condo or home?
Under the current law, Florida residents can apply for a 25K homestead exemption before December of the first year they own their own. The following year they will also be eligible for Save Our Homes. Which means their taxes can go up no more than 3% a year. I feel sorry for those in our neighborhood who do not qualify for homestead or SOH. This year the city of Orlando took our assessed value up an average of 100K - mine went from 274K to 375K. That means an ADDITIONAL increase of 2K in property taxes this year alone!

I would NEVER buy a 2nd home in Florida under the current tax system unless I had money to burn.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,168 times
Default Tremendous Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Under the current law, Florida residents can apply for a 25K homestead exemption before December of the first year they own their own. The following year they will also be eligible for Save Our Homes. Which means their taxes can go up no more than 3% a year. I feel sorry for those in our neighborhood who do not qualify for homestead or SOH. This year the city of Orlando took our assessed value up an average of 100K - mine went from 274K to 375K. That means an ADDITIONAL increase of 2K in property taxes this year alone!

I would NEVER buy a 2nd home in Florida under the current tax system unless I had money to burn.

The cost of being a part-time homeowner in Florida is cost prohibitive. The property tax system is regressive and punishing to anyone looking to buy a Florida home as a new resident. The SOH is great for the current residents, but where else in the country could a person purchase half the house and pay double the taxes as their neighbor?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:11 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,222 times
This article might help you understand the inequities.

Property-tax landscape is far from being even

Old 06-03-2007, 08:19 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,271 times
In addition to the property tax inequities, some municipalities walk all over the absentee taxpayer. Talk about taxation with no representation! Non-residents obviously can't vote in Florida, so politicians do whatever they want to them without fear. In fact, every tax or fee that is paid by an out-of-stater makes the politician into a local hero, because that's a dollar that the resident doesn't have to pay.

Case in point, there are thousands of vacant lots in Port St. Lucie. Each is owned by someone, somewhere in the world. There are special fees for maintenance of drainage swales and canals. These are higher for the owners of vacant property than they are for improved property. The official reason is that the resident maintains his own swale, but the real reason is, "because they can."

Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
There really is no difference for out-of staters with regard to property taxes.

For out-of-staters moving to Florida permenantly, there are no differences. You can establish homestead right away. If you are buying rental properties or a vacation property, then you won't have the advantage of the homestead exemption, but neither do other Floridians buying 2nd homes within this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida