U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 03:14 PM

551 posts, read 2,821,313 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have a job interview in Gainesville this week and if I get an offer, am seriously considering moving there (I'm currently in a mid-sized city south of Chicago). I lived in Miami for about a year and am somewhat accustomed to the Florida way of life, but have heard that north/south Florida are like night and day. I'll get to the point--I'm a 25 year-old young professional who happens to identify as lesbian, but I'm concerned about what life would be like for me there. Is Gainesville gay-friendly? What are people's attitudes about it? Are there any gay bars, gay sports leagues, etc.?

Also, where would be a good neighborhood for me to live? I'm young and enjoy living in "the center of it all"--somewhere I can easily walk to lots of bars, restaurants, etc. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,240,282 times
Gainesville was just ranked 11th most gay friendly city. Downtown is very small but has a good amount going on. That really would be the best and probably only option if you want an active area that isn't full of college kids. Gainesville is very liberal as are most true college towns.

11. Gainesville, Fla.
Anchored by the University of Florida, Gainesville is a surprisingly hospitable area for gay and lesbian Floridians who have no desire to work for Disney or deal with all that Miami nonsense. ***** college kids mix well with aging gays here. The city was also named by now-defunct Blender magazine in 2008 as the best place to start a band.

Gayest Cities in America | Destinations | Advocate.com

Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM

Gatornation, thanks so much for the response and the link--I feel much more assured. The more I read about it, the more Gainesville sounds like a great place to live!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 AM

317 posts, read 678,845 times
illini -

i can't add much more to gatornation's post, but i went to uf and spent many years in gainesville and - if i were gay - gainesville would be a great place to live! there is a phenomenal gay bar in downtown gainesville called university club that you should definitely check out!

good luck with your interview!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM

BakinMama-
Thanks for the suggestion about University Club! I'm so excited about the prospect of moving to Gainesville now that I feel confident about its people largely being accepting and open-minded.

-illini84

Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM

317 posts, read 678,845 times
I personally think Gainesville is a great place to live for anyone! I enjoyed living there as a college student but could easily find myself raising my family there now. It helps that I went to UF and love being so close to all the excitement the town finds itself in throughout the year!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:12 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,895,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a job interview in Gainesville this week and if I get an offer, am seriously considering moving there (I'm currently in a mid-sized city south of Chicago). I lived in Miami for about a year and am somewhat accustomed to the Florida way of life, but have heard that north/south Florida are like night and day. I'll get to the point--I'm a 25 year-old young professional who happens to identify as lesbian, but I'm concerned about what life would be like for me there. Is Gainesville gay-friendly? What are people's attitudes about it? Are there any gay bars, gay sports leagues, etc.?

Also, where would be a good neighborhood for me to live? I'm young and enjoy living in "the center of it all"--somewhere I can easily walk to lots of bars, restaurants, etc. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
There are many good churches in Gainesville where you will be welcomed , and alot with singles ministries designed for 20 - something people so you can partake in making new friends, do fun activities, and serve others . I think it will make your moving transition much more easier and be a blessing to your life . Regards.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:12 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,098,514 times
There is also a gay softball league there, with lots of cute and friendly girls.

I'm sure you'll like Gainesville, it's a nice place.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 PM
R66

145 posts, read 360,750 times
Forget it! I am not gay but have gay buddies. And they all hate Kidsville with a passion. Most have moved on to Tampa and Miami. If you are not involved with UF, you are on the outside.

Gainesville, for any single person over 28 sucks. Over 40 really sucks.

Gainesville is for people who are...

Married w/3 kids
Your work 9-5
Go to church every Sunday, Wednesday
Squirrel lover, tree hugger nature freak
An Artist who never made it big time

Extreme Apathy is in Gainesville.

My 2 cents

Old 03-25-2010, 01:09 PM

30 posts, read 112,284 times
Default Hmm...but it's the bible belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Gatornation, thanks so much for the response and the link--I feel much more assured. The more I read about it, the more Gainesville sounds like a great place to live!
While Gainesville is open minded by central/north Florida standards, it is still in the bible belt. If you go one mile out of Gainesville you are in complete hickville. Also, Gainesville is very small, has very few things to do, and primarily caters to young college students. The "downtown" area is only a couple of streets long.

If this job does not work out for you, then what? The job market stinks in G-ville and the closest city is Jacksonville which is at least a few hours away. On the other hand, there is a lot of pretty forested areas to go walking, tubing, etc.

I live in South Florida and once lived in Gainesville. As a gay person, I am appalled by the anti-gay laws all over the state. For one, we are the only state in the entire country that outwardly denies gay people from adopting. This should tell you a bit about the people who are voting. With that said, South Florida is the most gay-friendly place in the state and is certainly more liberal (but not liberal enough) than central or north florida. I can't really see how any gay person would choose to live in a state like this. I am certainly planning on leaving!

Sorry to be negative but I thought you should hear the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or