Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,718,056 times

Advertisements

I remeber reading a while back that Florida was gaining population at the rate of about 6000 a week. Is that still the case or have hurricanes and out-of-control home owner's insurance and the souring of the housing market dampened the in migration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM

59 posts, read 284,582 times
There has definately been a "dampening" of the migration. In 2005, Lee County would see over 600 single family home permits issued. In April we saw 300 permits pulled (and that was 15% more than March). I should add that this was unincorporated Lee County. Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, and Bonita are all seperated from each other and unfortunately I don't have the numbers from them. The Southeast coast, from what I've noticed, has been hit the hardest by exodus. Unfortunately they are all coming to Lee County to escape Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. We have real estate companies that deal specifically with people trying to escape South Florida. I would say it depends on the region of the state you are looking at, though no area is growing at the rate we saw in 2004-2005. Most growth is concentrated on the west coast from Tampa south, and on the east coast from WPB north. Central Florida is also seeing growth as well.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 PM

159 posts, read 801,799 times
I still see new people coming in every once in a while, but what I'm seeing more and more is people leaving the state.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:16 PM

518 posts, read 2,218,219 times
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but one of the local papers recently had a page 1 story on the population changes in Broward -- if not for the influx of immigrants, the population actually would have declined last year as people leave for less congested, less expensive areas.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:24 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,157,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I remeber reading a while back that Florida was gaining population at the rate of about 6000 a week. Is that still the case or have hurricanes and out-of-control home owner's insurance and the souring of the housing market dampened the in migration?
You are making the assumption everybody who comes here is looking to buy a house, most don't. In Fort Lauderdale 64% are renters, they don't care about insurance or taxes. It may effect what they have to pay to some degree but will not keep them away.

I know a lot of people who don't want to own anymore and that is after a lifetime of being home owners. They want to just live here and enjoy the place as long as they can make the nut. If you are on a pension you don't care about saving for the future or investing. If you break even each month life is good because you know that check will always be there.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:31 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,183,574 times
Quote:
I don't have actual numbers but it seems like people are still coming to the JAX area in droves

Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM

172 posts, read 854,134 times
its still increasing. nowhere near what it was a few years back tho. in my area anyway

Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,087,323 times
Quote:

The migrant groups will relocate to parts of the state based on availability of work. Florida still is a magnet for many to try to find jobs and housing. The cost of housing will impair the homes sales, but many will rent and some get assistance from the employer and they provide the housing. In our area we have many due to the new construction that is on-going at Pcola, Fort Walton, Destin and Panama City.

Hurricanes are a source of income due to the recontruction efforts that will happen after disasters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida