U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:21 AM

467 posts, read 1,002,649 times

Advertisements

Visited the Villages some years back....true, if you are a golfer I guess it's nice...Personally I still like being closer to the ocean....oh yes, there is always
a breeze...and I felt (now don't everyone laugh) it reminded me of the
"Stepford Wives"....that when you got to the gate...they wouldn't let you leave..I know that sounds silly but that's my take...It has gotten too expensive for me to buy there...so I'll stay in South Florida and just hope for
the best....that the new Gov. does something about the insurance...I can't
complain about my taxes because we bought low and are assessed low too
but the Doctor's issue is another problem here.....I was just informed that if
I want to keep my Dr. that next year I would have to pay up front $1500. for
the privilege of being his patient.....and that's every year folks......so I guess
I'll be looking for another Dr. soon......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 PM

72 posts, read 293,715 times
Thanks for the comments everyone. It seems like Florida's a mess! Delray Patty, ditto about the Stepford Wives comment. I have visited The Villages (and will again in the next month) and did enjoy it. There are a lot of activities for all and is family oriented when family does visits. i guess it all depends where your comming from and what you're used too. Moving is always an adventure, weather near or far. I always playing devil''s advocate regarding the move!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,238 times
Default The villages lifestyle

I am considering moving to the villages when I retire. Having woeked steady for 42+ years, I am a little anxious about what I will do to pass the time when I go from working 6 days a week to none! If anyone out there living in the villages reads this, I would appreciate any info as to what you do. I know there are plenty of clubs for the women to go to, but I would like to know what the men do to pass the time. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 66,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post
The schools are confusing me. As far as I know, the villages are located in both Marion and Sumter counties. But the schools are in Lake County? How big is this place? Plus, how is there a school if it is a 55 and over place? I am interviewing for a job with Marion County next week and I have to fly down for it. It that doesn't work out, I guess I'll look into it...
The Villages are in 3 Counties.....Lake, Marion and Sumter. I live very close to The Villages Charter school and my county is Sumter. The school is for the
children of workers; from the owners of banks, doctors in the area, etc to laborers. I believe an entry test is involved.....though I'm not positive about this. Schools, as a rule, do not get much attention in Florida. This one is succeeding in bringing up the standards. To help the beleaguered schools, many Villagers volunteer their time in the schools. It's a big help..most are retired teachers. Retired.....not old.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 AM

72 posts, read 293,715 times
bb619, I say go for it! There is so much to do. I'm always amazed how people have to "wait for retirement" before really enjoying things. I've just returned from The Villages and those people are more active than me. If I were a resident there I'd be taking advantage of tennis, golf etc. Things that I'd like to do however, always involves making time and traveling to a court or course(for most). Here, everything is convienently located nearby and finding a partner(s) shouldn't be difficult if needed. All are there for the same reasons. I think people have the wrong impression of The Villages. It's not an "old age" retirement place. I think it's quite the opposite. I myself am considering moving near The Villages(not 55 yet) to take advantage of the lifestyle. Another plus is that there are residents from all over the U.S. which brings a little culture there as well. I like that diversity, being from NY myself.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:54 AM

154 posts, read 716,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramickie View Post
The Villages are in 3 Counties.....Lake, Marion and Sumter. I live very close to The Villages Charter school and my county is Sumter. The school is for the
children of workers; from the owners of banks, doctors in the area, etc to laborers. I believe an entry test is involved.....though I'm not positive about this. Schools, as a rule, do not get much attention in Florida. This one is succeeding in bringing up the standards. To help the beleaguered schools, many Villagers volunteer their time in the schools. It's a big help..most are retired teachers. Retired.....not old.
I work in the Villages and sent my kids there this year. They dont do testing to get in, but they use their FCAT or SAT grades from the previous year. You do need to apply and there is a waiting period and there is a chance they are full. If you have any questions let me know!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Is there or is there not a family section of the Villages?

I am looking to move as close to the Villages as possible this next year and have been told there is a family section allowing those under 55+. Is there anything like that or would you need to live outside of the actual villages?

Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 AM

2,143 posts, read 5,288,596 times
The Villages is 55+. That is the whole point of The Villages. If you want to live in the area, you would be outside The Villages.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:16 PM

8 posts, read 24,904 times
that is right maybe ocala would be better close to the villages and good for everyone

Old 10-10-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataman View Post
that is right maybe ocala would be better close to the villages and good for everyone
Nah- that is where I am now and we leave the house at 6:30 am to drop kids off at 7 am. We dont get home until about 6 at night, which makes for a long day. The school there is charter and you need to apply. First spots go to kids living IN the Villages, second to those whose parent(s) WORK FOR the villages, and third to those who work IN the Villages. My husband and I both work IN, not for and are therefore 3rd in line. We want to move closer to shorten the commute, but I still dont see how there are kids who live IN the villages so thats why I was wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida