U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2010, 06:02 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,099 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'd like to get some information out there in terms of considering Orland versus miami for relocation. I'm a chef and my wife will be finishing dental school for international license dentist which is not offered in Georgia. We have a 4 year old. In terms of job, school, social activities, arts, quality of living, etc....What would be better of the two option...we plan to travel to South America frequently but driving a few hours to the airport is not an issue...more concern with the overall quality...Any good advice, would greatly be appreciated...Plan to move in the August time frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,764,222 times
Reputation: 4047
I'd say Orlando, because it has a more centralized location, every Florida city is just a drive away. Not all that far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 05:50 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,909,309 times
Reputation: 1793
Id say a suburb of Orlando because Miami is very congested , high in crime, and a big hangout for sexual hedonists -- not what you want for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 AM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,188,849 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by filetmignon96 View Post
I'd like to get some information out there in terms of considering Orland versus miami for relocation. I'm a chef and my wife will be finishing dental school for international license dentist which is not offered in Georgia. We have a 4 year old. In terms of job, school, social activities, arts, quality of living, etc....What would be better of the two option...we plan to travel to South America frequently but driving a few hours to the airport is not an issue...more concern with the overall quality...Any good advice, would greatly be appreciated...Plan to move in the August time frame.
With this economy, wherever you can land a job. It's a shame though that you can't stay in Georgia.

Are you planning to stay long term or only while she goes to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 03:33 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,099 times
Reputation: 10
Default Long term move

Long term, I hate the idea of moving again other than within the state. Looking to do a B&B in the future in South or Central America, that why Florida is a strong consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,188,849 times
Reputation: 1375
Where's her school? I would live closer to the actual school. That's almost a 4 hour drive.

Miami would be a better choice for frequent flights to Central America. If you don't like Miami, you can always consider Broward which is only 25 miles away.

In my opinion the job market has always been stronger in South Florida than in Orlando. People in Miami like to spend a lot, and restaurants tend to be packed all the time.

Miami schools tend to be crappy at the highschool level but I haven't heard anything good about Orlando's schools either.

Properties are cheaper in Orlando.
Social activities Miami is better as you have the beach, the keys and a bigger metro area(Miami, Ft Lauderdale. WPB)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,764,222 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Where's her school? I would live closer to the actual school. That's almost a 4 hour drive.

Miami would be a better choice for frequent flights to Central America. If you don't like Miami, you can always consider Broward which is only 25 miles away.

In my opinion the job market has always been stronger in South Florida than in Orlando. People in Miami like to spend a lot, and restaurants tend to be packed all the time.

Miami schools tend to be crappy at the highschool level but I haven't heard anything good about Orlando's schools either.

Properties are cheaper in Orlando.
Social activities Miami is better as you have the beach, the keys and a bigger metro area(Miami, Ft Lauderdale. WPB)
But Orlando is more centralized and makes traveling to other cities easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 AM
 
1,377 posts, read 3,730,407 times
Reputation: 983
Avoid Orlando at all costs. There's no point in being in FL if you're not near the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,764,222 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Avoid Orlando at all costs. There's no point in being in FL if you're not near the beach.
What about all the other things that Orlando has to offer, the wide variety of entertainment, the night life, the Magics!

It's only driving distance from the beach, both Tampa, and Daytona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,186 posts, read 10,285,849 times
Reputation: 1588
Public schools are better in Orlando. Look into Seminole County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top