Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:36 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times

Advertisements

Ah ha - good information since we're upgrading now. Thanks to you and the original poster for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
A custom made house is great for the people living in it. When potential buyers look at it- it is from THEIR perspective. Not the owners. My neighbor in Boca spent quite a bit on renovations- inground pool and jacuzzi. It turned out to be a big handicap when he tried to sell.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:10 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Building a house vs an existing house for resale can go either way. We moved into our built house in mid 2005 but signed the contract in late 2003 so we did okay. If you enter a contract to build today, in 2007, you don't know if the prices will start inching upward, stay the same, or keep going down. Your house could be overpriced by the time you move in. Or you could be moving into the deal of the century.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:56 AM

270 posts, read 570,789 times
Default ...........

does anyone know what percentage of home owners build,vs.buy?just curious......

Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 PM

58 posts, read 193,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
A custom made house is great for the people living in it. When potential buyers look at it- it is from THEIR perspective. Not the owners. My neighbor in Boca spent quite a bit on renovations- inground pool and jacuzzi. It turned out to be a big handicap when he tried to sell.

sunny

If you do the house yourself and do not get carried away, you save a ton of money and have the quality you deserve.

Generally a nice custom home should fetch more, than plain vanilla track housing. The owners do need to realize that it's not a 1:1 realtionship of money spent and recouped. That waterfall over the pool for 8 grand may not translate to 8K more from a buyer at closing.

There's a lot of upside if you successfully build your own house.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 25,538 times
Hi,
I am planning on Building a 2 storey 2500 sq st house in Ocala,If anyone know any reliable builder, please let me know.I am looking for someone who can Build the Exterior of the house
e.g Foundation and framing, Bricking of the house, roof, window ,Plumbing and Electricial.

My Dad Does Drywalling and he can finish the Interior of the house.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 22,308 times
Default I built in Central Florida

I built a house in 2002 in Kissimmee and paid roughly $65 a sq ft. Today that cost there runs about $135 to $150 for the same house. I had a friend who was a builder and he did a wonderful job... Got it done in 5 months!! Of course I was found sitting in his office whenever I thought it was going too slow, so they might have gotten it done just to get me out of their way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbuyer View Post
in central florida,(or anywhere for that matter)i hear alot of people talk about building,but nobody that says they actually built a house....i havent found any websites or blogs about people who built......does anyone know the price (estimate)of say a 2400 sf. house......i know it depends on material quality,and labor,i figure being your own sub is cheaper,i know people who do everything from concrete slab,plumbing,electric,stucco,pretty much everything there is to a house,and i could do my own,framing,insulation,drywall,finish,paint,tile,s aving alot more that way.....so has anyone built,and have any stories?...or is there a good website or blog out there? any help would be appreciated thanks..

Old 09-21-2007, 07:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Most people use a contractor or contractors, my dad and I did most of the labor here ourselves. I also used surplus and used materials to save $$$.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 AM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelcomeHomeMyFlorida View Post
I built a house in 2002 in Kissimmee and paid roughly $65 a sq ft. Today that cost there runs about $135 to $150 for the same house. I had a friend who was a builder and he did a wonderful job... Got it done in 5 months!! Of course I was found sitting in his office whenever I thought it was going too slow, so they might have gotten it done just to get me out of their way!

Amazing resales in Houston suburbs at $40-50 psf including improved lot with all utilities..I still see builders selling for not much more than that price. Apparently the national builders can build high production cookie cutter boxy two story at unbelievable prices per square foot even today..

Katy, TX Homes, Real Estate, Condominiums & More - REALTOR.com

However the small one story even there still costs around $80+ psf for a 1200 sf 3/2/2 that is just a bit less than some of our worst hit markets in Florida like North Port and Cape Coral today

Old 09-22-2007, 10:37 AM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Well, I'm just about to finish my house; should be CO'd in about 2 weeks (final inspection, certificate of occupancy.)
As an owner/builder, I came in at $64 /sq ft under roof with quite a few upgrades.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 25,538 times
Has anyone use UBuildiT to build their house? if so let me know how the process was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida