U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 9,309 times

Advertisements

I would check out Fruitland Park, just North of Leesburg. There are many large homes which have been reduced due to the economy and are true bargains. It has great shopping and little traffic. My wife and I are currently buying one. If you delay 6 months, as another writer told you, I believe you may miss the current values and pay on the upswing and have higher interest rates. Tavares is nice but you are in beautiful lake country and have no shopping to speak of. But also there is less traffic. I still live in New York, and have sold my home here, but have been researching (realtor.com, google earth) and visiting the area near Leesburg. Stay at the Days Inn in Leesburg, it has nice service and a good pool at great rates and spend a few weeks looking around...Check out the schools and bite the bullet...
Good luck to you and enjoy the winters....but keep out of the water....
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 AM

4,186 posts, read 10,263,870 times
I would not reccomend anywhere in north lake county unless you want to be surrounded by thousands of old people transplants from the north who can't drive and can be very rude. It's not a family enviroment up there. Clermont/south lake county is a different story. Clermont is a suburb of Orlando so there are a lot of young families in the area, it's very family friendly and has better schools. I would recomend any far north/west suburbs of Orlando since they are closest to leesburg and still family friendly.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,373,059 times
I second Mt Dora and Clermont. I like both of those towns and if they were close to the beaches and things we we like we would live in either ourselves.

I would also rent before you buy. This leaves you open to move if you decide you do not like the area.

Schools would be a top priority then the rest will fall into place with plenty of research.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,148,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john pollack View Post
I would check out Fruitland Park, just North of Leesburg. There are many large homes which have been reduced due to the economy and are true bargains. It has great shopping and little traffic. My wife and I are currently buying one. If you delay 6 months, as another writer told you, I believe you may miss the current values and pay on the upswing and have higher interest rates. Tavares is nice but you are in beautiful lake country and have no shopping to speak of. But also there is less traffic. I still live in New York, and have sold my home here, but have been researching (realtor.com, google earth) and visiting the area near Leesburg. Stay at the Days Inn in Leesburg, it has nice service and a good pool at great rates and spend a few weeks looking around...Check out the schools and bite the bullet...
Good luck to you and enjoy the winters....but keep out of the water....
John
Can you elaborate on Fruitland park? It is funny you mention it since it is one of the places I am zeroing in on and was going to take another trip there in a few weeks. Please give me a pitch for Fruitland park, why are you moving there?
Since the poster is a first time poster and may not answer I would be interested in hearing from anyone on Fruitland park.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 11,000 times
actually in a similar position as you and being moved to leesburg from philadelphia. I think leasing/renting initially sounds like a better idea as you may not like where you end up buying. I keep thinking about moving more towards orlando area than leesbug, but need to figure out the driving time etc. Also have two kids and school district doesn't appear to be the best overall in lake county.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,370,505 times
I would not suggest Fruitland Park. The elementary is not one of the better ones in Lake County.

Additionally Fruitland Park isn't a place that offers any type of culture, shopping, restaurants or other amenities like you are looking for. Overall it's pretty "blue collar."

Old 06-28-2010, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 20,152 times
If you go over by the mall area in Leesburg, they have some nice areas. Silver Lake area is really nice. Stay away from Hwy 27 (west area) or anywhere around downtown. Clermont is starting to get a lot of crime. Winter Garden would be way to far to drive. Tavares, Mount Dora, & parts of Eustis would be the best places to live.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 20,152 times
I see recommendations for Fruitland Park. Stay away it is a dump!! Even the area of new homes, has a lot of homeless people camped out.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 8,942 times
Hi
I have lived in Leesburg for 14 years and raised four high achieving kids here. We are a medical family.
The commute to Mt. Dora is about 30 minutes, Eustis and Tavares is 20-25. ALL the schools in the area, in FL, in general are very poor unless your children are gifted then possiblilities are endless, with great public programs for them. There is actually a wonderful AP program at Leesburg HIgh, and ,many of the students walk into UF, Fl State, or other FL universities. There are many gorgeous homes bordering our many lovely large lakes, which are a few minutes from the hosptital. But if you want a gated, upscale safe community with tons of kids, then Lady Lake is the area and the community is Harbor Hills. My kids have lots of friends there and many doctors, and hospital CEOs love it there. Homes begin in the 350's f, and go up to a million. It offers a club, docks, golf, and tennis and a large pool. You will be close to both medical communitites and also the Villages. Although it is for seniors, there are two city centers and another one the way. Tons of eateries, and the best shopping, better than Tavares, Mt. Dora or Eustid put together.. Also you are 30 minutes from Ocala, which is the nicest city without going an hour to Orlando. Schools are tricky. Mine go to the A rated Charter School in the Villages. The trick is that is only available to those you work on The Villages properties. They require 20 hours or more per week to qualify and they check every quarter. If you still need more information settling in, let me know. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,888,058 times
siberian1,
First, welcome to the forum. It is great to have someone else from the Leesburg area here.
I have a home in The Plantation. I plan to move there full time in the next year or so. I am currently a full time firefighter/medic/instructor up here in NY, looking forward to retiring and starting a new "snow free" life as a Floridian.

Thanks again for the good info.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or