U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 PM

25 posts, read 66,041 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily in this order...

1. Lack of natural beauty. No rolling hills, no color. Only the beach, which is covered in spring breakers for what seems like forever. Sand, palm trees, sand, palm trees...
2. Hot and humid...then cold...no in between.
3. Horrible school systems.
4. The crime seems out of control for this population size. Spring break does not make it any better. Every year I hear more and more stories about shootings, stabbings, and hit and runs. I imagine if you have kids it would be extremely difficult to keep them away from the spring break activity.
5. Hurricanes and the insurance you need to cover your home.
6. All of the alligators, sharks, poisonous spiders, cockroaches, mosquitoes.
7. No sense of community, considering half the population is comprised of tourists. Spring break and thunder beach are getting bigger and longer every year. Although they provide much money for the area, it is getting more difficult to drive every day.
8. Closed mindedness.
9. On one street you'll have mansions, then you have dilapidated trailer parks next door.
10. Virtually nothing to do except go to the beach. But try going anytime from November-March when it is cold, or March-May during spring break, and a couple of weeks in between when we have Thunder Beach. Always something going on in PCB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
TD*

1,512 posts, read 3,111,107 times
Sounds like you need to leave that dump and come to Tallahassee..

You can still make it to PCB in 2 hours when u need the beach.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:31 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,900,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallDreamer View Post

1. Lack of natural beauty. No rolling hills, no color. Only the beach, which is covered in spring breakers for what seems like forever. Sand, palm trees, sand, palm trees...
4. The crime seems out of control for this population size. Spring break does not make it any better. Every year I hear more and more stories about shootings, stabbings, and hit and runs. I imagine if you have kids it would be extremely difficult to keep them away from the spring break activity.
7. No sense of community, considering half the population is comprised of tourists. Spring break and thunder beach are getting bigger and longer every year. Although they provide much money for the area, it is getting more difficult to drive every day.
8. Closed mindedness.
9. On one street you'll have mansions, then you have dilapidated trailer parks next door.
10. Virtually nothing to do except go to the beach. But try going anytime from November-March when it is cold, or March-May during spring break, and a couple of weeks in between when we have Thunder Beach. Always something going on in PCB.
You make valid points. Dont think id like that. Are you planning on moving somewhere else ? Florida is a big state . Can you elaborate on number 8 a bit more...thanks.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:51 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,204,037 times
How old are you?

You have basically covered the entire state of Florida.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:51 AM

25 posts, read 66,041 times
From what I have been told, not ALL of Florida is like this, or maybe not to this extent. I've never actually lived in any other parts of Florida, but I don't think that I want to if they are anything like PCB.

#8 is about the panhandle of Florida basically being an extension of the south. We are basically part of southern Alabama, so you get the normal southern closed mindedness. Sorry, but this is especially bothersome to me because I am a "yankee", and I don't see why most people get hot under the collar about things that truly don't effect them. Like any other southern area you see a lot of confederate flags, Palin stickers (Although, some people might like these first two things), and cars that have been welded together as there is no inspection to pass.

I hope that no one takes offense, I am just trying to give another point of view, as more northerners are moving south they should know before they get here. Just like me, people are in the mindset that if it is nice to vacation here, then it must be nice to live here as well. Just do a little research.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:03 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,204,037 times
Actually, I'm from the Panama City (inland) area. Florida is all about the water. If you enjoy water sports, it's paradise anywhere in Florida especially the Gulf side.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:

#8 is about the panhandle of Florida basically being an extension of the south. We are basically part of southern Alabama, so you get the normal southern closed mindedness. Sorry, but this is especially bothersome to me ...

But closed minded about what ? I still dont understand what specifically you are referring to. Ive been in the Panhandle exactly 1 year tomorrow having moved here from northern illinois and cant see the 'closed mindedness' . True, i see many simularities between southern alabama and the florida panhandle and its kind of nice having the southern culture isnt it (?) I find it refreshing compared to chicagoland. Can you be very specific regarding the closed mindedness issue you refer to ? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:30 PM

33 posts, read 129,857 times
Yes, We may be in LA..Lower Alabama....Proud Folks..Nice friendly helpful folks...Quiet , streets definately rollup at 9-10 pm... And Yes Rebel Flag Fly Proud...But "redneck" is stylin right now in POP culture, as well as hip HOP..Closed Minded...no I don't think so...just have never been shown possibly...There are close minded stick in the muds EVERYWHERE...I grew up in St. Louis Suburbia...17 years,,then took off to explore...45 now....
I will never go back ....been down here 8 years this time.It was my life long goal to live here....and off and on through the years from 18..I loved Panama City in the late 80's Early 90's..Good Times Good Time...Sober Now Different views, But I miss Panama....MAybe I will move Back..
But,,,I do thank my mother daily for my good education and Childhood dental care....I 'm just sayin..

OH, but the Friday Night religious people who stand on the street corner and tell everyone to repent or go to hell are scary. Milton Fl.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:28 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,855,489 times
Quote:
Florida really isn't known for its rolling hills or mountainous regions so I can't totally blame Panama City and the Panhandle for that.

Quote:
Yes, I don't understand the draw for the weather. You get the same hot, humid summers as South Florida, but don't get the wonderful, warm, perfect humidity winters. If I'm moving to FL, I sure as heck would want the warm winters!

Quote:
Seems to be a problem every where in the country these days.

Quote:
Same here, too. People are getting crazy.

Quote:
I would say in South Florida you take the good with the bad. The best winters around, but in the summer you pay for it with the possibility of storms.

Quote:
Yes, bugs can be bad.

Quote:
I don't have much community in my area (Norfolk area of VA) I know in NJ where I'm from there's a lot more sense of community and helping each other.

Quote:
8. Closed mindedness.
That's the South's MO.

Quote:
Really that's another part of the south's MO. I don't know why.

Quote:
Yes, another problem with North Florida. Far too country and not much to do.

Quote:

#8 is about the panhandle of Florida basically being an extension of the south. We are basically part of southern Alabama, so you get the normal southern closed mindedness. Sorry, but this is especially bothersome to me because I am a "yankee", and I don't see why most people get hot under the collar about things that truly don't effect them. Like any other southern area you see a lot of confederate flags, Palin stickers (Although, some people might like these first two things), and cars that have been welded together as there is no inspection to pass.
I won't say anything other then, I agree. It's gross to see people flying the Confederate flag.

I think South Florida is more your style... I wouldn't even consider living in North or even Central Florida.

Old 03-28-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny O. View Post

OH, but the Friday Night religious people who stand on the street corner and tell everyone to repent or go to hell are scary. Milton Fl.
Its not the Folks who are scary , but the eternal residence whom many are choosing because they want no part of God in their lives now . We choose and God grants ... quite fair and yes , scary for some. Its good to see a strong remnant of what America was orginally founded on here in the deep south ; love and reverence for our Creator is a good thing (except when it interferes with our less than palatable mores , of course) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida