Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 8,407 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend may be transferring his job from within his company. I work part time and am taking classes online. I have several questions. We're in our late 20's, if that helps.

1. Will I be able to find a job, I have worked in one of the museum's here in the city for years and have also done admin work.

2.I am very much a city girl at heart and want to know what life in the area is really like and where I should look for a job.

3. What are some others areas that may be better for us to live in/ me find work?

Thanks

Last edited by silverpixe81; 03-23-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: current city: Philadelphia, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,480,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpixe81 View Post
My boyfriend may be transferring his job from within his company. I work part time and am taking classes online. I have several questions. We're in our late 20's, if that helps.

1. Will I be able to find a job, I have worked in one of the museum's here in the city for years and have also done admin work.

2.I am very much a city girl at heart and want to know what life in the area is really like and where I should look for a job.

3. What are some others areas that may be better for us to live in/ me find work?

Thanks
You won't like Gainesville if you are a "city girl". You can't commute to any bigger city from Gainesville as it's too far.

Gainesville is a typical college town. Everything is centered around it with lots of students and families. It's very liberal and progressive compared to other FL cities.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,909 times
There are museums around you may be able to find work at, most jobs are given to college students, as it is centered around the college. Definitely not a big city, perhaps Tampa may be a better fit? There are things to do around town, good music venues, decent club scene, amazing restaurants, a mall, and a few movie theatres, it's a nice place to live, just not a big city.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,581,597 times
Pros; housing much more affordable than any urban area
safer than urban areas (though there is some problems with crime in parts of Gainesville)
diverse and getting more diverse
population growing very fast
many young people like yourself
good public transportation (buses go almost everywhere) although not everyone will agree

Cons; blue-collar and lacking in good jobs at heart, especially if you do not have something to do
with the university.
public schools may not be so great
City centered too much around university
City dead when class at UF are not in session

After spending three years in Gainesville earlier in the decade...I have to say for a young person the pros definelty outnumber the cons. Now, Gainesville is not a big city. There is roughly 120,000 inhabitants in the city proper, plus 50,000+ students and thousands more in the unincorporated
surrounding areas. However, this is not the sticks of North Dakota. The population may not be as urban as you like, but it is definelty not mostly "country." Hence, my advice is to go for it!!!

Old 03-29-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Pros; housing much more affordable than any urban area
safer than urban areas (though there is some problems with crime in parts of Gainesville)
diverse and getting more diverse
population growing very fast
many young people like yourself
good public transportation (buses go almost everywhere) although not everyone will agree

Cons; blue-collar and lacking in good jobs at heart, especially if you do not have something to do
with the university.
public schools may not be so great
City centered too much around university
City dead when class at UF are not in session

After spending three years in Gainesville earlier in the decade...I have to say for a young person the pros definelty outnumber the cons. Now, Gainesville is not a big city. There is roughly 120,000 inhabitants in the city proper, plus 50,000+ students and thousands more in the unincorporated
surrounding areas. However, this is not the sticks of North Dakota. The population may not be as urban as you like, but it is definelty not mostly "country." Hence, my advice is to go for it!!!
I agree with everything except your public school comment. There are some great public schools in Gainesville. Overall the system might not be great but that is usually how a lot of areas work with a small handful of top schools.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM

51 posts, read 105,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I agree with everything except your public school comment. There are some great public schools in Gainesville. Overall the system might not be great but that is usually how a lot of areas work with a small handful of top schools.
Gaternation, what do you think are the best schools in Gainesville? What area of town would you recommend for a family with 3 school aged children?

I may be moving to Gainesville this summer if my work transfer goes through. Based on my online research, I'm looking at the Hidden Oak/Fort Clarke/Bucknell distric in NW Gainseville. Particularly the Eagle Creek, Oakcrest, Broadmoor, and South Pointe housing divisions. However this is based mostly on state test scores, which doesn't always show the entire story.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTeam View Post
Gaternation, what do you think are the best schools in Gainesville? What area of town would you recommend for a family with 3 school aged children?

I may be moving to Gainesville this summer if my work transfer goes through. Based on my online research, I'm looking at the Hidden Oak/Fort Clarke/Bucknell distric in NW Gainseville. Particularly the Eagle Creek, Oakcrest, Broadmoor, and South Pointe housing divisions. However this is based mostly on state test scores, which doesn't always show the entire story.
I think you meant Buchholtz for HS.

In addition to what you mentioned above Talbot and Wiles have good reputations for elementary schools and Kanapaha for Middle school. Unless your IB Buchholtz is the HS most want their kids to go to.

Like most cities you'll find the good schools often have expensive subdivisions around them. There are a fair amount of nice places you can find at a reasonable price that are in good districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: