U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2010, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 21,591 times

Advertisements

This sight is truly a blessing. We (my wife and 12 yr old son) are currently in St. Louis, Mo. and have already mentally committed to moving to Destin. I have work lined up, but need to know the cost of certain things before completely making the desicion. I have looked at all the sites that give national averages of cost, but I need actual numbers to help budget.

We are looking at a house in the 150,000-200,000 range and would like to know: (not being rude or jaded here, just trying to find answers)

THE ACTUAL COST OF AN ELECTRIC BILL FOR A MONTH?

GAS BILL?

WATER BILL? TRASH? SEWER? ANYTHING ELSE I MIGHT HAVE FORGOTTEN!

I have called the Destin Chamber of Commerce, but didn't get the answers I was looking for. I have called Cox Cable to see how much that would be. If their is any contact numbers for any of this, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for being so random and thank you in advance for taking time out to answer my post. I'm sure I will have more questions soon.

p.s. I have done my homework and looked at countless threads, but wanted to get updated cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 12:13 PM

2,997 posts, read 2,806,359 times
The area is nearly all electric for heating using alot of Heat Pumps with backup resistance furnace elements. There is some gas but its not much. For a 3 bedroom house in the area thats well insulated with a good amount of shade, your electric bill in the hottest summer months (June, July, Aug) is going to be about $250-300/mo if you use the a/c rather conservatively . For the 2 coldest winter months (Jan and Feb) , you can expect to pay about $150 per month if used conservatively. The benefit of living in Destin is that it is warmer during the winter and cooler in the summer (by roughly 5-8 F) , versus inland . When youre shopping for a house, see if you can get one that is a relatively tightly constructed home with good weatherstripping , having alot of shade especially on the roof, having an automatic power roof mounted attic fan, and have a professional verify that your a/c system is adequately sized as we have an extended air conditioning season down here , although not as hot as lower Florida. Welcome to the area .

Last edited by 007.5; 04-02-2010 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-02-2010, 03:06 PM

4,669 posts, read 8,634,129 times
Chances are, you're going to be heating and cooling by electric as 007 mentioned. And there is a world of difference based on how good your insulation is. We currently live in a well-insulated 1700sf single family home, and it runs about $225-$250/month in peak summer, and $175ish or less in winter. Spring and fall are generally in the $125 range- used to be under $100 then, but the power companies here have added all kinds of customer fees and surcharges in the past two years.

We actually had higher seasonal power bills when we lived in an end unit concrete block townhouse that was maybe 900 sf because it had essentially no insulation.

Consolidated water-sewer-trash bill runs about $60-$70 a month for us. We're unincorporated Okaloosa; Destin is probably the same or very similar. What helps keep the water part down is that our lawn sprinklers run on an irrigation well and don't draw from the county pipe. (if you do that, they'll charge you an arm and a leg for watering with drinkable water) Irrigation wells are very common down here-if you tell your realtor that you want your home to have one, it shouldn't be a big deal. Trash is scarily comprehensive where I am- twice a week general garbage, and once a week bulk trash, lawn debris, and recycling.

We're all-electric so no gas bill.

For high speed internet, we pay about $60/month for a solid internet and lifeline basic cable plan with Cox. (same price with or without out the lifeline basic cable service, so we figure might as well) We've got Directv for broader tv service because we've done better with them over the years.

While property taxes are relatively low here, they will get you on homeowner's insurance, especially if you're talking the Destin peninsula, and pretty much anything south of the Intracoastal/US 98.

Let's see other fees- they will get you for license plate charges big time the first time you register a car in the state. After the initial hit, you can keep moving the old plate to a new car so it's no big deal, but it's something like $200-$250 per vehicle that first time across the state line.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:46 PM

'Let's see other fees- they will get you for license plate charges big time the first time you register a car in the state. After the initial hit, you can keep moving the old plate to a new car so it's no big deal, but it's something like $200-$250 per vehicle that first time across the state line.'

REPLY: For a Florida Title Transfer, plate , and plate sticker...it runs $430 total. Just had it done.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:48 PM

P.S... thats $430 PER vehicle . Youre supposed to get it done within one month of moving to FLorida.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 PM

207 posts, read 416,021 times
Can you show the breakdown of this?

When I look online it shows the $225 initial registration fee, $40-70 annual tax dependant on size of vehicle and $28 for new plate..

Old 06-05-2010, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 21,591 times
Just realized I got some of the info I needed and never said thank you. So thank you for your quick responses. By the way, even more uncertain with the latest BP happenings. We'll see.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:37 PM

81 posts, read 150,520 times
You can also plan on spending alot of money on exterminators. Roaches are everywhere in Destin. Its a full time job to keep them out of your house.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:16 PM

36 posts, read 93,480 times
Florida doesn't have a state income tax so thing of that while your getting Raped at the DMV or tax collector is what they call it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida