Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 21,936 times

Advertisements

I would stay away from the panhandle area as well as central Florida. Your best places would be Tampa, Miami, Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale..etc. I live in Ocala, FL. and it is surrounded by red necks. Stay away from the Forest areas. The Forest people do not like blacks. Also stay away from small towns such as "Hog Valley" LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 21,936 times
Rosewood was originally located where Gainesville, FL is. They have a monument there.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 22,473 times
Go to Miami. You ought to feel right at home there!

Old 03-12-2011, 05:38 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,261,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyehope View Post
Rosewood was originally located where Gainesville, FL is. They have a monument there.
Rosewood was along Florida 24 a few miles inland from Cedar Key. That's in Levy County, which is next door to Gainesville-Alachua County.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:36 PM

24 posts, read 83,190 times
Rosewood is nowhere near Gainesville. It's out near Otter Creek and Cedar Key. What happened in Rosewood is shameful.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,507,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
I think interracial couples are safe just about any place now adays. Even in the deep South of Florida they have interracial marriages. I remember when I was a teenager seeing interracial couples in Mississippi even.

I would think Interracial couples would be more accepted in Florida vs lets say Mississippi ect.

Florida wasn't really a huge Slave owning state most black in Florida migrated after the got there freedom and the free land give away.

Florida had slaves for a short time yes they did for longer but for a short time with the same rules as let say Mississippi but then the rules changed in Florida was a slave state with the same rules for maybe 5 or less years then the rules changed Florida slavery was all you had to do was get baptized and you were set free. Florida also had other rules no whipping of slaves or saleing of infants/children plus they were only allowed to work x amount of time.. Florida has very stricked rules. Florida would of let all slaves go but most had no place to go. So they left the decision up to the slaves all you had to do was be baptized and you were set free in Florida. Most blacks were brought to Florida as Fighters not as slaves by the Spaniards. The Spaniards then imported females so they would have wife's.

There is more to the story but I don't have the room or time to give a total history lesson here.

The largest slaves as in slavery would of been found more in North Florida vs South Florida which would of been closer to Mississippi and Georgia. Slaves use to run away and try to make there way to Florida.

The very first slaves to enter Florida came here not as slaves but as indentured servants. The ship landed with them with the ship in need of major repairs and they traded slaves for there repairs and the slaves were not slaves they were indentured servants in St. Augustine. The servants even build there very own town in St. Augustine which was most destroyed by a storm and everyone including the whites helped to repair the town.

Yes there is still alot more to the story but leaving it at this.
You are quite accurate since Florida's past with slavery barely even lasted 17 years. Florida was a Spanish colony and became a US state in 1845 & Lincoln freed the slaves in 1863. The Spaniards freed slaves from other slaves states as long as they converted to the Catholic church.

Florida may have been the 3rd. state to secede from the Union but it's history to the Confederacy is very weak. Nobody batted an eye when the Conferderate flag was removed from the state Capitol years ago since most Floridians don't identify with the Confederacy ( half the population of Florida during the Civil War were blacks).

As to the original question the OP asked "Florida isn't the South" in the ways you think. You shouldn't have any issues being involved in a interracial relationship in the Sunshine state!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:46 AM

272 posts, read 603,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyn_041 View Post
I'm about to move elsewhere within the next to years for college and my fiance' is coming with me. I'm white, he's black, and I'm sick of dealing with racism. I also don't want to live around close-minded rednecks because I have all my life. I don't want to be discriminated for being in an interracial relationship and I want my children to be happy. I'm from central Illinois, a town with less than 1,000 people. There isn't violence, but only 3 black people live in my area and no other races besides white.

I do understand that "wherever you go, there will be some racism," but I'd like to be around more interracial couples, in a more diverse area, and I want to move somewhere warm. I've always loved Florida, but yet I haven't stayed there for more than a few weeks.

I've heard some bad things about the deep south but that Florida is different, etc. Do you know of any places in Florida where there aren't acts of violence against blacks/interracials/etc. and where there isn't a lot of segregation? What about places that we should definitely avoid? Feedback? Thanks!
Tampa/St Pete seems very live and let live as do many other areas of Florida. I've been in interracial relationships and never had one issue here. I don't consider Florida the "Deep South" by any means though. Perhaps the panhandle may still exhibit these types of attitudes, or rural parts of central Florida, but in general I just don't see it. Others will probably have different opinions of course.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 214 times
Hi,
I'm in the same boat Sister! Lol. I'm so glad you're speaking out about this because my husband and I always deal with stuff, wherever we go. We are a peaceful traditional couple who just so happens to be "interracial." As someone born and raised in Miami, Southeast coast is best. Anywhere from Miami to West Palm Beach... and that's it for Florida folks. Crazy coincidence, even the TriRail stops at West Palm Beach! Haha. It's sad that this seems like it's a never ending war, but I feel like as long as we keep fighting ignorance, intelligence will clear the path and one day we'll all finally be at peace. It will help to put together well written handouts teaching people, for instance: Traditional romance, statistics, humanitarian truths, survival facts, the way to happiness through self improvement, etc. We need to show the world what's right from wrong. So please keep going! Pray together and stay together Sis. Wishing you many blessings, protection, peace, and success! Thank you.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Anderson

Old 01-18-2024, 09:24 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson357 View Post
Hi,
I'm in the same boat Sister! Lol. I'm so glad you're speaking out about this because my husband and I always deal with stuff, wherever we go. We are a peaceful traditional couple who just so happens to be "interracial." As someone born and raised in Miami, Southeast coast is best. Anywhere from Miami to West Palm Beach... and that's it for Florida folks. Crazy coincidence, even the TriRail stops at West Palm Beach! Haha. It's sad that this seems like it's a never ending war, but I feel like as long as we keep fighting ignorance, intelligence will clear the path and one day we'll all finally be at peace. It will help to put together well written handouts teaching people, for instance: Traditional romance, statistics, humanitarian truths, survival facts, the way to happiness through self improvement, etc. We need to show the world what's right from wrong. So please keep going! Pray together and stay together Sis. Wishing you many blessings, protection, peace, and success! Thank you.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Anderson
… The Trirail stops in WPB because… it’s the “trirail…” a commuter train that serves three counties…
Central Florida has Sunrail, which serves the same purpose. Across 4 counties, soon to be 5. What a bizarre post.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:49 PM

5,658 posts, read 3,483,508 times
This is an OLD thread. Seeing a mixed-race couple today would hardly raise an eyebrow anywhere in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida