U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:21 AM

18 posts, read 19,717 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everybody..

Nowadays, I'm waiting for a condition acceptance offer from UF in Gainesville to complete my diploma certificate in Geomatics Engineering . I have already fill the application which they sent it before but I didn't submit it till now (there are things are not clear for me).
So, could you please give me your opinion about my study at UF.

Do you think that we will face any problems there? because as you know that we are Muslimes and my wife wears cover like Muslim women !!

Thank you very much for your helping ..

Best wishes,
shareefhms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:02 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,184,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shareefhms View Post
Hi, Everybody..

Nowadays, I'm waiting for a condition acceptance offer from UF in Gainesville to complete my diploma certificate in Geomatics Engineering . I have already fill the application which they sent it before but I didn't submit it till now (there are things are not clear for me).
So, could you please give me your opinion about my study at UF.

Do you think that we will face any problems there? because as you know that we are Muslimes and my wife wears cover like Muslim women !!
shareefhms
You bet. People will be uncomfortable. It is not the American way to dress up like that. Religion is personal and should be kept that way-dress up like that in private, but in America, you need to fit in. It's called the melting pot because people assume the ways of Americans and give up the ways of their homeland.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,645,113 times
Does your wife wear a burka, or just the hijab?

People won't be violent towards you, but you might get some stares, as it is not a common sight. Most will just ignore, but if she's wearing a full on burka.... well, might wanna let her go with the hijab.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Does your wife wear a burka, or just the hijab?

People won't be violent towards you, but you might get some stares, as it is not a common sight. Most will just ignore, but if she's wearing a full on burka.... well, might wanna let her go with the hijab.
Even that makes people uncomfortable. It doesn't belong here.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,462,029 times
I don't think that simply wearing a head scarf with the full face showing makes anyone uncomfortable--or it shouldn't anyhow. I see it as no different than Jewish women covering their head--which most conservative and all Orthdox women do.

In my experience I don't know a single Muslim woman who covers her head because her husband "makes" her do so, but rather thay all do it of their own free will as a sign of respect towards God. I see nothing wrong with it. Heck, my husband has some older relatives "from the Old Country" who still wear a babushka.

That said, I believe that the burka is oppressive and not what God asks of women. But there's a big difference between the burka and the hijab.

Keep in mind that many Muslim men (and Jewish men) also cover their heads out of the same religious respect.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,762,535 times
I don't think that your wife will experience too many problems among the more educated university crowd, but the rural folk might be another story. I'm sure there will be stares if she wears an abaya, some out of curiosity, some for bigoted reasons. But especially being in a college town, she will meet other Muslim women and develop a network of friendship and support, in addition to the friends that she will meet outside of your faith.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 04-04-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 AM

Keep in mind that women have the exact same rights as men here.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 AM

7,647 posts, read 16,033,018 times
Good grief. I live in the most rednecky part of the state and the women in the handful of Muslim families in the areas seem to have no issues with others involving their women wearing headscarves. Though, bless their hearts, keeping fully covered arms and legs in these parts during peak summer can't be fun, no matter how space age or lightweight the fabrics involved are.

Florida heat is different than Persian Gulf heat. The humidity smothers you. I know people who have spent a fair amount of time in both regions and they'd rather deal with 105F in Saudi than 90F along the Gulf of Mexico.

Lily, you're bordering on ugliness there.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Good grief. I live in the most rednecky part of the state and the women in the handful of Muslim families in the areas seem to have no issues with others involving their women wearing headscarves. Though, bless their hearts, keeping fully covered arms and legs in these parts during peak summer can't be fun, no matter how space age or lightweight the fabrics involved are.

Lily, you're bordering on ugliness there.
Sorry, but I don't see it that way. We are in a war with Islam. Our soldiers are dieing daily fighting that war. I'm not so scared of being politically correct that I won't speak the truth.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,762,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Well, what do you expect? You DO live in NICEVILLE!!! (Always liked the name of your town!)

I have spent a lot of time in rural areas of the state and don't think that she would necessarily have to fear for her safety, just think that living closer to the college, she would be accepted moreso than in a small town. But you make a good point in that bigots and kind people can be found everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida