U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2010, 04:49 PM
 
3,849 posts, read 7,863,350 times
Reputation: 1990

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Im sure if your teenage son were to get killed from experimenting with something , youd hope people would find some compassion in thier hearts and realize it was a precious life that was lost when it didnt have to be.
1) My son wouldn't be doing that because I would have raised him better and 2) There's no way in heck he would be at spring break alone at 17.

You're right, end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 PM
 
Location: on an island
13,382 posts, read 40,856,289 times
Reputation: 13244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
1) My son wouldn't be doing that because I would have raised him better .
Famous last words.
Hind sight (or imagine-sight) is so clear.
I made some mistakes as a parent, luckily my kids turned out great.
In Colorado we would grimly note the spring break skiers that died hitting trees, and yes--the kids who fell off balconies, died in car accidents, etc etc.
It happens. It shouldn't, but it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 26,136,861 times
Reputation: 16496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
1) My son wouldn't be doing that because I would have raised him better and 2) There's no way in heck he would be at spring break alone at 17.

You're right, end.
good joke lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2010, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 26,136,861 times
Reputation: 16496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc9213 View Post
I think every single person on here who has some stupid **** to say about not feeling bad for the kid or making rude jokes about how "i've always been smart enough to not fall off balconies" shouldn't be commenting the first place. What the hell are you saying? This kid was 17 years old, I don't think it's your place to be talking bad about someone who just died. Don't we all make mistakes? Let's not go out on a website and relay all the details of how irresponsible kids can be. Yeah, we get that, big deal. Hey news flash, EVERYONE makes mistakes. I understand he was under the influence of alcohol, and his choices could have been better. But were you at the ****ing party? Do you know what happened? Leave it alone, your not perfect, no one is. Don't come on here and talk **** about a 17 year old kid that died in a terrible tragedy like this. What the hell would you think if that was your kid? You wouldn't want to come on here as a parent and read was some stupid ****ing people have to say about your child would you? Hey guess what else? **** happens! Obviously we already know the faults of the kid, you have explained them quite well, so thank you for that. But I dont think you see the point here...HE JUST DIED FALLING OFF A BALCONY. You people are so bitter, you could sit here all day and write back and forth about how he did this or that wrong. Oh let me guess, you have never gone over the speeding limit and put yourself at risk for a car accident? You have never drank and done something stupid? You have never been young and made poor decisions that you think twice about now? And you never think about the situations that COULD HAVE gone wrong? Oh no I forgot, you all know what the hell is best for yourselves right? And most certainly would never do anything like that huh? God I must be stupid or something. Grow the hell up, it makes me sick listening to the people on here that have nothing good to say, or have absolutely no sympathy for the kid because he made a poor decision. Don't talk about what he could have been with football and in life, we all ****ing know that already. Your pointing out things that half a brain cell could, I think you should think twice about what you say, because you could die tomorrow in the ****ing street crossing the damn road. Here's a thought, rip on something else that matters, like how there's plenty of killers in the world who are getting off innocent, not a kid who made a MISTAKE. Grow up...
ok even i felt bad after my comment, and reading coconut's comments just made me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Orlando
8,181 posts, read 16,516,796 times
Reputation: 49780
Paragraphs make rants easier to read. I got a headache within a couple sentences and couldn't finish sorry mc9213...

Basically he's a kid that made some bad choices. Now he'll never know what life could have been for himself.

While it sounds cold and callous, Florida in general has been dealing with these Spring Break stories for many many years. After a while it's just another news story.

Many want to blame PC Beach, Daytona, Ft Lauderdale and any other city....when the blame lies solely on the person taking the drink and climbing on the balcony.

Does that make him a bad guy? Of course not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 AM
 
1,468 posts, read 4,155,968 times
Reputation: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Paragraphs make rants easier to read. I got a headache within a couple sentences and couldn't finish sorry mc9213...

Basically he's a kid that made some bad choices. Now he'll never know what life could have been for himself.

While it sounds cold and callous, Florida in general has been dealing with these Spring Break stories for many many years. After a while it's just another news story.

Many want to blame PC Beach, Daytona, Ft Lauderdale and any other city....when the blame lies solely on the person taking the drink and climbing on the balcony.

Does that make him a bad guy? Of course not.
I a small defense of the kid, he was 6 feet 6 inches and 290 lbs. The railing of the balcony was probably, (I don't know what code is) Between 32 ans 36 inches high. A guy of his height could fall over the rail just losing his footing, he would not even have to be drunk. Anyone who has known people that size knows they can be clumsy even an athlete like this kid. In fact I would not classify him as an athlete, his size was his attribute and the reason he was of value to a team.

I have to add I do blame the city and hotel. Do you think they allow this kind of carrying on as a general rules all the time? They don't, they make an exception and may even encourage it so as to be a destination for the collage crowd. Fort Lauderdale didn't outlaw Spring break. They just began enforced the rules like they would with anyone and it took care of it's self. The ones looking to go nuts stopped coming to Fort Lauderdale or they would find themselves sitting in jail for spring break. Fort Lauderdale still has a lot of collage kids come but you don't hear about them, they come for a nice time. Other cities wanting the revenue from spring break picked up the ball and let an "Anything goes policy" be known and the kids went there. No ones hands are clean here. It is all about money.

Last edited by mango23; 04-08-2010 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Orlando
8,181 posts, read 16,516,796 times
Reputation: 49780
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I a small defense of the kid, he was 6 feet 6 inches and 290 lbs. The railing of the balcony was probably, (I don't know what code is) Between 32 ans 36 inches high. A guy of his height could fall over the rail just losing his footing, he would not even have to be drunk. Anyone who has known people that size knows they can be clumsy even an athlete like this kid. In fact I would not classify him as an athlete, his size was his attribute and the reason he was of value to a team.

I have to add I do blame the city and hotel. Do you think they allow this kind of carrying on as a general rules all the time? They don't, they make an exception and may even encourage it so as to be a destination for the collage crowd. Fort Lauderdale didn't outlaw Spring break. They just began enforced the rules like they would with anyone and it took care of it's self. The ones looking to go nuts stopped coming to Fort Lauderdale or they would find themselves sitting in jail for spring break. Fort Lauderdale still has a lot of collage kids come but you don't hear about them, they come for a nice time. Other cities wanting the revenue from spring break picked up the ball and let an "Anything goes policy" be known and the kids went there. No ones hands are clean here. It is all about money.

Nope sorry mango23 none of this holds any water with me.
No matter what size the kid was, if he was sober, he probably wouldn't have
been being a daredevil on the balcony.

I don't blame the city or the hotel. Neither the city nor the hotel purchased this alcohol nor did they force it down his throat. He made those choices on his own. The city nor the hotels are babysitters.

I made stupid decisions when I was a teen but I had to face them. I was the one at fault. I paid for my mistakes. And it taught me not to do them again.

One needs to be accountable for their own actions. It's time to quit blaming others for ones own mistakes.

Again...this doesn't mean I think the kid was an idiot or a bad person. He just made the wrong choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top