Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 AM

329 posts, read 774,796 times

Advertisements

mc9213 good answer, some of these people are morons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc9213 View Post
I think every single person on here who has some stupid **** to say about not feeling bad for the kid or making rude jokes about how "i've always been smart enough to not fall off balconies" shouldn't be commenting the first place. What the hell are you saying? This kid was 17 years old, I don't think it's your place to be talking bad about someone who just died. Don't we all make mistakes? Let's not go out on a website and relay all the details of how irresponsible kids can be. Yeah, we get that, big deal. Hey news flash, EVERYONE makes mistakes. I understand he was under the influence of alcohol, and his choices could have been better. But were you at the ****ing party? Do you know what happened? Leave it alone, your not perfect, no one is. Don't come on here and talk **** about a 17 year old kid that died in a terrible tragedy like this. What the hell would you think if that was your kid? You wouldn't want to come on here as a parent and read was some stupid ****ing people have to say about your child would you? Hey guess what else? **** happens! Obviously we already know the faults of the kid, you have explained them quite well, so thank you for that. But I dont think you see the point here...HE JUST DIED FALLING OFF A BALCONY. You people are so bitter, you could sit here all day and write back and forth about how he did this or that wrong. Oh let me guess, you have never gone over the speeding limit and put yourself at risk for a car accident? You have never drank and done something stupid? You have never been young and made poor decisions that you think twice about now? And you never think about the situations that COULD HAVE gone wrong? Oh no I forgot, you all know what the hell is best for yourselves right? And most certainly would never do anything like that huh? God I must be stupid or something. Grow the hell up, it makes me sick listening to the people on here that have nothing good to say, or have absolutely no sympathy for the kid because he made a poor decision. Don't talk about what he could have been with football and in life, we all ****ing know that already. Your pointing out things that half a brain cell could, I think you should think twice about what you say, because you could die tomorrow in the ****ing street crossing the damn road. Here's a thought, rip on something else that matters, like how there's plenty of killers in the world who are getting off innocent, not a kid who made a MISTAKE. Grow up...
You DO NOT make mistakes like that. You need to have common sense in your head to 1) Not be drinking underage and 2) Not be doing it and then messing around by a balcony.

He was very close to his 18th birthday. Is 18 not legally becoming an adult these days? Shouldn't he have more sense then to not even put himself in that situation?

Don't tell me that I should feel sorry for him because he was an idiot. What would have happened if he would have pulled somebody over with him? What about the crew that had to respond to the scene? What about his family? Don't you think if he truly cared he wouldn't have put himself in that situation? What he did was selfish.

There's something called personal responsibility. If you cannot act like an adult, maybe you shouldn't be allowed out in the world. I simply cannot feel sorry for somebody that voluntarily put themselves in that position.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
If that kind of thing was truly a freak occurance, I'd have a lot more sympathy for the people involved. But it's enough of a problem that Panama City tv stations will actually run public service announcements about balcony safety during spring break season. Because of past incidents, balcony climbing is illegal and you will get arrested if local law enforcement catches you doing it.

See enough of a type of stupidity and you get jaded about it. There's a running dark joke in these parts about the office pool for both date of the first spring breaker balcony jumper and total number of jumpers for the season.

Live here for a while, and you do get disgusted with the tourists who feel invincible or who get beligerant about how they can do whatever they want to because they've 'paid good money for the trip'. What are even worse are the parents who disregard the flag system, even after having it explained to them, and let their preschoolers play in the Gulf in red flag or double red flag conditions.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Live here for a while, and you do get disgusted with the tourists who feel invincible or who get beligerant about how they can do whatever they want to because they've 'paid good money for the trip'.
Don't even have to live there. It's all over these days and not even contained to vacations. "I paid for this, I paid for that." The sense of entitlement coming from older, middle aged and younger people is disgusting these days.

And not to beat a dead horse because it seems like I pick on the south a lot, but I've noticed the sense of entitlement in the south is enormous.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I really do think it's worse when people go on vacation. And then when I go on vacation somewhere else, I find myself overcompensating when interacting with the locals because I've seen the other side so often, and don't want to come across as one of 'that kind' of tourist.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:51 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Sorry, but no, that's not true. I've never done anything even close to that. To say everyone has done it is totally inaccurate and only makes those that have feel better about themselves because, hey, 'everyone has done it.'

He was almost 18, AKA a legal adult. He had the sense to not do something so stupid. Like I said, no sympathy from me. If he had simply leaned over the rail too far and lost his balance, that would have been one thing, but to be drunk as a skunk and playing games five stories or however high it was, well, that I have no tolerance for.
When i used the term 'everyone'... I mean it as we ALL have done silly and often dangerous things without thinking. I think you need to find sympathy in your person instead of basically saying 'tough luck' to people who die so young ... even if they brought it on themselves thru poor choices. Can u do that ? I hope you can cause its the correct response to have.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
When i used the term 'everyone'... I mean it as we ALL have done silly and often dangerous things without thinking. I think you need to find sympathy in your person instead of basically saying 'tough luck' to people who die so young ... even if they brought it on themselves thru poor choices. Can u do that ? I hope you can cause its the correct response to have.
No, we 'all' haven't.

And no, I don't think I need to find sympathy for people like that. I have sympathy for those young (and middle aged and old, for that matter) people with debilitating diseases, abusive parents, and things of that nature. Things like this, brought on totally by the individual, I don't feel sorry for.

We've had young people around here shot when they were dealing their drugs or trying to buy. Should I feel sorry for them, too?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
No, we 'all' haven't.

And no, I don't think I need to find sympathy for people like that. I have sympathy for those young (and middle aged and old, for that matter) people with debilitating diseases, abusive parents, and things of that nature. Things like this, brought on totally by the individual, I don't feel sorry for.

We've had young people around here shot when they were dealing their drugs or trying to buy. Should I feel sorry for them, too?
Yes, you should have sympathy for them too...that they went down the wrong road in life and were tragically killed . Your heart is hardened and it needs softening ; shows of hostility and apathy will only make it worse. I used to be like that, until God got a hold of my life and heart. Give him a chance with yours. Regards.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Yes, you should have sympathy for them too...that they went down the wrong road in life and were tragically killed . Your heart is hardened and it needs softening ; shows of hostility and apathy will only make it worse. I used to be like that, until God got a hold of my life and heart. Give him a chance with yours. Regards.
You're very wrong here... he was not 'going down the wrong road in life' he was going to play football for Notre Dame! Do you know how many people would love to be able to play college football?

He made poor choices, was arrogant and didn't think anything would happen to him, decided to get drunk and play around what was it, 5 stories up? I'm sorry, that's ignorant, selfish and does not deserve sympathy.

My heart is not hardened and I have plenty of sympathy for those that deserve it. Thousands of people go every day without health care, without food, without water. THOSE people deserve sympathy, not a little jackass who decided it would be cool to do some underage drinking and party on a balcony.

Enough with the God nonsense, too.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
You're very wrong here... he was not 'going down the wrong road in life' he was going to play football for Notre Dame! Do you know how many people would love to be able to play college football?

He made poor choices, was arrogant and didn't think anything would happen to him, decided to get drunk and play around what was it, 5 stories up? I'm sorry, that's ignorant, selfish and does not deserve sympathy.

My heart is not hardened and I have plenty of sympathy for those that deserve it. Thousands of people go every day without health care, without food, without water. THOSE people deserve sympathy, not a little jackass who decided it would be cool to do some underage drinking and party on a balcony.

Enough with the God nonsense, too.
Socially, he was going down the wrong road in life with getting very drunk , shouting at people , and hanging over the balcony ... simular things which many many teenagers do in this country... oftentimes maturing out of it in time..but too often paying the ultimate price for the poor choices . Im sure if your teenage son were to get killed from experimenting with something , youd hope people would find some compassion in thier hearts and realize it was a precious life that was lost when it didnt have to be. It matters not if someone was silly, stupid, ignorant, etc...which was the cause of their life being taken ; human life is of utmost importance and its a shame some cant find the intrinsic worth and dignity associated with people even if they are what some would call less-than-desirable . Perhaps if you ditched wanting to believe Humans are the accidental product of slimey algae coming from non-personal/dead chemicals having zip for worth, dignity, and value... youd be able to see the uniqueness in every life having been fashioned in the image of the Creator and it would benefit you with a far more loving, caring, and non-apathetic persona. And that is what im going to leave you to contemplate as there isnt anymore I can do to encourage you , other than give God a chance with your life and stop wanting nothing to do with him . He loves you and hopes for a real daily personal relationship with you. Thanks for the exchange. End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida