Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Interesting
Interesting but completely untrue.

I have lived in this area for 18 years and can count on one hand the number of times I ran in to someone I could only speak spanish to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
About 98% of all advertised jobs ask for "bilingual in Spanish" and add that is PREFERRED in their descriptions! so, for those non speakers, this is an obstacle...as an employer will choose over you and pick the one that does speaks it.

Of course you don't "need" to speak it, this is the US after all where English is supposedly the "official" language (still), however in Florida (anywhere) you will be passed on in a LOT of cases if you don't speak Spanish and you'll have a harder time finding a job.....
You are delusional and post things without any basis in fact.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
so did my husband...however, every job I was interested in before starting my own biz required it.....

It would be nice if developers would actually RE-develop east Tampa.......... and re-develop existing structures and neighborhoods that slid into crack towns....un-kept etc...instead of overdeveloping empty land in the middle of nowhere CREATING the NEED for using a car due to this lack of public transit........I would love it if they learned "the lesson" but I am afraid they did not........until ppl will stop buying in these remote locations and physically making them understand that, I don't see them change......

Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 AM

R WE running in the same circle and I don't know? I still have the letters telling me WHY they chose someone else over me!! You are delusional for thinking that if it didn't happen to you it didnt happen to anyone else!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
You already need to speak spanish in the Tampa area.
No way. In a few neighborhoods, maybe, but not most of the city. And if you're talking about St. Pete, not at all.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I think developers learned from miamis mistakes. Central FL isn't like Miami right now, I think developers are smart enough to not repeat it. all the new developments and future planed developments in the area look fortunately nothing like Miami. The development from the 70s-90s was like south FLs. Developers in the area are really cracking down on "smart growth" and urban development. I do see the I-4 corridor from daytona to Tampa becoming a megaregion though. Plus South FLs development is based on the ocean, it's basically a thin strip of land along the ocean and every big city is along the ocean. Central FLs developement is centered around actual urban centers with room to develope more efficiently.
Yep, developers sure learned their lesson, build entire sections of a city with bland, boring, monotonous, cookie-cutter houses that give it no personality and look cheaply built and blocky. It's tacky at best. It's funny how some parts in Florida are absolutely gorgeous then you see rows and rows of tract homes that are some of the most ugly and repetitive, that reaks of "buy in bulk and build cheap and fast" mentality. As if FL isn't cultureless already, now we have these monstrosities of bland housing to look at.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 AM

329 posts, read 775,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
wait untill someone don't turn left quick enough,WOW rant city!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Yep, developers sure learned their lesson, build entire sections of a city with bland, boring, monotonous, cookie-cutter houses that give it no personality and look cheaply built and blocky. It's tacky at best. It's funny how some parts in Florida are absolutely gorgeous then you see rows and rows of tract homes that are some of the most ugly and repetitive, that reaks of "buy in bulk and build cheap and fast" mentality. As if FL isn't cultureless already, now we have these monstrosities of bland housing to look at.

Hahaha, I have noticed that driving around FL. A lot of the houses are pefect squares, with a sliding door in the back, and a cage over the pool area...Quite cookie cutter but then again, that's most suburbs across the U.S., where there are 5 to 7 home styles duplicated in a neighborhood of 200+ homes....

Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 AM

Mike.....if it happened once...it would be a small mistake.....this happens on daily basis....it wasn't "turning quick enough" it was sitting before the pedestrian walk lines while the light was GREEN....6, 7 cars behind me 2 inches from my bumper.....all wondering why in the world that 1st car was NOT moving!!!!!

What is sad about the way homes are built here is that everything looks very communist, 1 color, 1 shape no imagination, no style NOTHING...which makes me wonder 5 things:

1. is this what's being taught in architecture school?
2. are architects FORCED to build like this?
3. are the ppl who decide what's being build from China too? along with everything else sold here in the US!?
4. do they allow ppl who have NO imagination become architects?
5. are we slowly headed for communism with ALL this uniformity? I mean, homes look the same, we have the same chain restaurants, box stores every 2 miles....we only have 2 cable companies to choose from & we can't choose what channels we want to pay for, we're forced to pay for over 100 and end up watching 3 but we are conveniently charged for over 100!? we can't switch cell phone companies without being punished financially, basically we're not allowed to have whatever phone company we want, these giants hold monopoly wars between them and the poor consumer can't have whatever phone they want unless we pay "Retail = $400" for it....soon we will only have Amazon for books since both Borders and B & N are being forced to declare bankruptcy because of Amazon prices that they can't keep up with.......funny, first these two put out all the mom and pop shop book stores...now they finally have a match.......I wonder how they like that! as I was saying in the eye glass thread, if we want a discount on frames since they are so overpriced considering how long they actually last, we're forced to get the exam and lenses even more overpriced at that store, and we can't just buy the lenses wherever we want......I am sorry this sounds like a rant fest, it's just weird because (and here I go again about back in Europe) but over there I could buy whatever whenever at whatever store without being forced into overpriced eye exams or cell phone plans and be subject to all sorts of fine prints!......and stuck in them for 2 years which I will NEVER understand the purpose for! and I am naming just a few things, because this list is much much longer....the list of how ppl here get sucked into spending more than they need is ridiculous and how they really have little control over the money they WORK for....starting with banks and ending with utilities.......I can't understand why ppl put up with this...just can't!

For those of you who have had the opportunity to travel outside US...did you notice how other countries are not afraid to use colors? I cannot understand for the life of me why that is impossible here! in reality it is pretty sad!

Everything here is based on greed at different levels, my husband should be paid over 70k for ALL the work he puts in, but nooooo....the new mentality is to overwork ppl because they are desperate for a job, take advantage of them because employers figured out that they can have less ppl working more for less money....then the media wonders how come foreclosures seem to never end and ask "when the market is going to bottom" what a joke!.....sorry but I fail to see how this can be considered "normal".

South Tampa is wonderful....why can't the rest of Tampa and surrounding areas (little cities) be built in those same lines? take Miami for example, the major architectural style there is Art Deco...why not keep up with that? or even better, why sub divide everything? we refuse to buy another home BECAUSE of this HOA crap...really....the few homes left in no HOA zones are not in good school districts (unfortunately) and who's to say that some other builder won't buy them out eventually and subdivide those too? then what?

It is disappointing to say the least! because no one can complain that there aren't any resources available....because there are plenty...as I see it, it's greed and money mismanagement that keeps this trend going. I am sure that ppl who have decision power as to what's being built and where are counting on the mass ignorance an lack of culture/travel of the average Joe's here and feed them the same thing while trying to make them think that this is "the American Dream"...I see this as a large propaganda to make ppl stupid! and unfortunately ppl are busy holding on to dead end jobs to do anything about it........really, really sad....you won't catch the French doing this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Hahaha, I have noticed that driving around FL. A lot of the houses are pefect squares, with a sliding door in the back, and a cage over the pool area...Quite cookie cutter but then again, that's most suburbs across the U.S., where there are 5 to 7 home styles duplicated in a neighborhood of 200+ homes....

Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Mike.....if it happened once...it would be a small mistake.....this happens on daily basis....it wasn't "turning quick enough" it was sitting before the pedestrian walk lines while the light was GREEN....6, 7 cars behind me 2 inches from my bumper.....all wondering why in the world that 1st car was NOT moving!!!!!

What is sad about the way homes are built here is that everything looks very communist, 1 color, 1 shape no imagination, no style NOTHING...which makes me wonder 5 things:

....you won't catch the French doing this for sure.
I didn't quote your whole post because it was just more ranting.

First off, I said nothing about your driving so I don't know where that came from.

Just about every city in every state has some subdivisions that were developed by one builder who will have a few style of house to choose from. Of course they are all going to look similar. These homes will generally be a little less expensive and appeal to many in that regard.

I can guarantee you that no one has the same house as me because I designed it. There are many other people who do the same or go build in areas that they can use their own builder. These areas will have a diverse selection of homes. Where I am not one house looks like any other and I know of many areas that are the same.

Contrary to your view on the schools many of these areas are in good school districts even though they are not subdivisions with an HOA.

No one forces you to buy any mass produced product. No one forces you to buy a house that looks the same as every other. No one forces you to live in any area.

You seem to want to take everything about this area and make broad generalizations about them all. Take a step outside your box and look around, it is not all the same.

Not all houses are the same, not all people are bad drivers and 98% of the jobs here do not require you to speak spanish.

As far as the French. It not all wine and rose there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida