U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,576 posts, read 19,699,656 times
Reputation: 22855

Advertisements

We just bought a house we're going to have to turn right around and leave shortly.
We've been given the usual things to do....shut off water,leave on AC,close blinds/curtains, have someone check on it periodically but yesterday a lady told me not to leave anything with elastic or leather, as it would dry out and become brittle.
I'd never heard that one but wouldn't want to come back and have my panties fall down and my shoes fall apart
Any tips not usually thought of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,633 posts, read 8,501,233 times
Reputation: 1731
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
We just bought a house we're going to have to turn right around and leave shortly.
We've been given the usual things to do....shut off water,leave on AC,close blinds/curtains, have someone check on it periodically but yesterday a lady told me not to leave anything with elastic or leather, as it would dry out and become brittle.
I'd never heard that one but wouldn't want to come back and have my panties fall down and my shoes fall apart
Any tips not usually thought of?
Elastic or leather??? Those things are in the house year round, so it makes NO difference if they are out while you are gone...LOL. Old wives tale I suspect. I would do the rest, and leave the AC at 80-82. Turn off the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 19,731,308 times
Reputation: 2906
I haven't heard that one. I would make sure you bring in anything that can fly around in a storm, like patio furniture. Unplug as many things as you can, just incase lightening hits the house, nothing will get fried then. My parents leave the A/C in the their second home off and the house is fine, but I do know people that have it set to 80-82 too... Do you have someone that can close/put up the shutters for you in case a hurricane threatens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,376,469 times
Reputation: 13016
Before we occupied our home year round we had a whole list of things to do before we left.

We unplugged most everything, turned off the gas at the main, turned off the hot water heater, set the A/C to 82, closed the blinds, left the lids to the toilets UP and put bleach in the bowls, tossed out all perishables, brought in all the patio furniture and anything outdoors that wasn't nailed down.

I've never heard the leather and rubber thing--sounds ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Florida
19,576 posts, read 19,699,656 times
Reputation: 22855
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I haven't heard that one. I would make sure you bring in anything that can fly around in a storm, like patio furniture. Unplug as many things as you can, just incase lightening hits the house, nothing will get fried then. My parents leave the A/C in the their second home off and the house is fine, but I do know people that have it set to 80-82 too... Do you have someone that can close/put up the shutters for you in case a hurricane threatens?
I know someone here that just has a friend open and close windows when it rins and never has left the AC on and it's been fine for years.
I don't think we'll chance that.
There are metal awnings that drop and close which we'll do before we leave.
The elastic bit is funny.....I may ask her next year what brand of undies she buys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2010, 03:20 PM
 
1,080 posts, read 4,157,615 times
Reputation: 598
Default Socks too

I've had socks that I've left too long in the drawers, when I go to put them on the elastic just breaks. Same with underwear, if it sits too long, the elastic dries out, anything that has elastic, shorts, men's underwear, ladies underwear. I also noticed that white T-shirts if left to sit too long, they turn yellow, and especially if washed and bleached, they turn this disgusting yellow, I've thrown out more T-shirts. Have you gotten little holes in your shirts, I was told that is mites. When we first moved here I couldn't understand why my shirts were gettting little holes, drove me nuts. I wouldn't put my shirts on any counters, I'd hang them up, brand new home and I had these holes. Still once in awhile I get a little hole, out goes the shirt or I use it for working around the house. Such is life here in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 07:49 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,376,469 times
Reputation: 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I've had socks that I've left too long in the drawers, when I go to put them on the elastic just breaks. Same with underwear, if it sits too long, the elastic dries out, anything that has elastic, shorts, men's underwear, ladies underwear. I also noticed that white T-shirts if left to sit too long, they turn yellow, and especially if washed and bleached, they turn this disgusting yellow, I've thrown out more T-shirts. Have you gotten little holes in your shirts, I was told that is mites. When we first moved here I couldn't understand why my shirts were gettting little holes, drove me nuts. I wouldn't put my shirts on any counters, I'd hang them up, brand new home and I had these holes. Still once in awhile I get a little hole, out goes the shirt or I use it for working around the house. Such is life here in Florida.
I've had the same thing happen to the elastic when I lived in NY & NJ. It has nothing to do with being in Florida. I've never had a problem with holes (or mites) and would suggest that you might want to get an exterminator to take care of that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Orlando
8,181 posts, read 16,496,389 times
Reputation: 49769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
I've had socks that I've left too long in the drawers, when I go to put them on the elastic just breaks. Same with underwear, if it sits too long, the elastic dries out, anything that has elastic, shorts, men's underwear, ladies underwear. I also noticed that white T-shirts if left to sit too long, they turn yellow, and especially if washed and bleached, they turn this disgusting yellow, I've thrown out more T-shirts. Have you gotten little holes in your shirts, I was told that is mites. When we first moved here I couldn't understand why my shirts were gettting little holes, drove me nuts. I wouldn't put my shirts on any counters, I'd hang them up, brand new home and I had these holes. Still once in awhile I get a little hole, out goes the shirt or I use it for working around the house. Such is life here in Florida.
Just curious....just how old IS this underwear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Fort Myers FL/ Ottawa ON
1,209 posts, read 2,856,392 times
Reputation: 480
for those with houseminders, I have heard that flushing the toilets every once in a while "keeps the seals from drying out".

anyone ever have a case of "dry seals"?

our system has a dehumidifier which I believe permits the AC to be off or relatively high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,376,469 times
Reputation: 13016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
for those with houseminders, I have heard that flushing the toilets every once in a while "keeps the seals from drying out".

anyone ever have a case of "dry seals"?

our system has a dehumidifier which I believe permits the AC to be off or relatively high.
I watch my neighbors home and at least once a month go through and flush the toilets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top