U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:13 AM

492 posts, read 1,238,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Stuart.
Even less traffic etc. Hobe Sound 4 miles south of Stuart. And as a big plus we have Harry and the Natives (Google them). 30 min drive to WPB, and great beach! 1 traffic light.

Larry - Hobe Sound, Fl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,848,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsmith2240 View Post
Hi, I currently live in Broward County, and am looking for a smaller town to live north of here appx 2-4hrs away. I would like a safe family area with access to a larger city possibly nearby. Would love to have unspoiled nature and water nearby. I homeschool, so it would be nice to find other homeschoolers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Okeechobee, FL. Close to West Palm, close to Kissimmee State Preserve, Dupuis area and Corbett wildlife management area. Also 2 hours away from Sarasota, Tampa etc. Pretty rural too.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 PM

109 posts, read 393,501 times
i guess I would look at the economics and what was your lifestyle. Yes it is fine to say move up the coast further but if you were not on that economic level that is the same as "fly me to the moon". Okeechobee is a great place but if you are not geared to a really diffferant setting it will freak you out. I guess saying you are from Broward County tells us you are somewhat urbanized but without knowing what you expect other than "small town values and hearts and roses" is not enough to properly help you. What is your vocation, what is your lifestyle, what is country and what is is "redkneck". There are some real rural areas, have you checked out Belle Glade? be a little more specific.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 PM

I guess I am stuck on what are your prospects for employment? There are plenty of alternaitives with in that 2-4 range although 2 hrs can make a big differance depending on where you have to commute. First make your pririoty list. Is home schooling a "Christian" descicion or a personal choice based on public education. If it is "Christian " based then I would network with others that share your value and see if you can incorporate this lifetyle with economic survival. If money is not an issue and you just want to be close to your other children, then no problem "Welcome to Disneyland" and I do not mean geographics..

Old 06-04-2010, 04:26 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,848,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
i guess I would look at the economics and what was your lifestyle. Yes it is fine to say move up the coast further but if you were not on that economic level that is the same as "fly me to the moon". Okeechobee is a great place but if you are not geared to a really diffferant setting it will freak you out. I guess saying you are from Broward County tells us you are somewhat urbanized but without knowing what you expect other than "small town values and hearts and roses" is not enough to properly help you. What is your vocation, what is your lifestyle, what is country and what is is "redkneck". There are some real rural areas, have you checked out Belle Glade? be a little more specific.
I would stay away from Belle Glade, Pahokee and the surrounding areas.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:14 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,185,161 times
I think you need to define a small town. I don't think one exists south of Orlando. To me, a small town is about 2,000 people or less. Anything around 20,000 is a really large town. Any geographical area with 50,000 or more is a city.

What size town are you looking for?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,647,822 times
Hobe Sound, Stuart, Vero Beach.... even Tequesta.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 PM

Ognend, I guess you have been there. Try being there at 2 am and lost. As far as my first choice it will always be vero Beach. It ha enogh social to make it happening but is really a smal town feeling.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,185,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Vineyards View Post
Ognend, I guess you have been there. Try being there at 2 am and lost. As far as my first choice it will always be vero Beach. It ha enogh social to make it happening but is really a smal town feeling.
Vero has a mall and lots of big box stores and chain restaurants. That makes it a large town, not really small town, imo.

No small town will have a mall or big box stores.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:38 PM

81 posts, read 173,052 times
Ok, to clarify, I don't want a very rural area. To me a smaller town would be around 15,000-25,000 My town here has 85,000 so that would be much better for me. Also, yes I am a Christian homeschooler so that would definitely be important to me to find other Christian homeschoolers. Also I would like to have access to supermarkets, Walmart and maybe a Target somewhat close (within 15 minutes to 25 minutes). Would like to have access to a large city within 45 min or so. My husband sells carpet an or flooring, so we would need to find him a job first. We don't want to be isolated. We would like to have neighbors, just not right on top of each other. A 1/2 -1 acre would be great if not more. Does that give you guys some more info? Thanks for the responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida