Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,144 times

Advertisements

I have been to a couple of different pre-schools that are vpk approved and I am not impressed at all! Most are older, dirty and dingy. I wouldn't sit on the floor, let alone let my child. And what is with this not locking the door thing? I was told be several different schools that they aren't allowed to lock the door while school is in session - state law.?? Most of these schools are in store fronts in strip malls. They say it's a fire hazard. What about a door knob that unlocks when turned from the inside. I don't want just anyone to be able to walk into my child's school for any reason. I was told that there has never been any problems. No - there never is a problem - until THERE IS A PROBLEM!

I don't care if the state pays for it - I would rather know that my child is in a safe/clean enviromend and pay for that peace of mind.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:27 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
I have been to a couple of different pre-schools that are vpk approved and I am not impressed at all! Most are older, dirty and dingy. I wouldn't sit on the floor, let alone let my child. And what is with this not locking the door thing? I was told be several different schools that they aren't allowed to lock the door while school is in session - state law.?? Most of these schools are in store fronts in strip malls. They say it's a fire hazard. What about a door knob that unlocks when turned from the inside. I don't want just anyone to be able to walk into my child's school for any reason. I was told that there has never been any problems. No - there never is a problem - until THERE IS A PROBLEM!

I don't care if the state pays for it - I would rather know that my child is in a safe/clean enviromend and pay for that peace of mind.

just wait until you get to see the elementary schools

Old 06-08-2007, 04:40 AM

250 posts, read 1,469,831 times
Quote:

My son's pre-k school is old and worn looking, and sometimes CAN look dirty...however he was (I say was as he finished there on monday for the summer and goes to Elemenatary in August) VERY VERY Happy there.... He was never sick from there except for the odd cold that went round which is common.

I agree with not locking the door as it is a fire hazard and I dont want my child to think he is in prison - he is in school. There is more chance of a fire than someone unwanted walking in. I would want my child to be able to get out of that school if it was on fire.

I do empathise with your concerns though...if you are not happy with where your child goes can you take them elsewhere??

Old 06-08-2007, 05:45 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
Send your kids to private pre-K. We've been sending our daughter to a small private nursery and she will be attending pre-K there next year. It's worth the extra money to get your kids off to a good start. I wouldn't depend oun the government to do this for you - sometimes you just need to take control and spend the money to get what you want for your kids.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
I have been to a couple of different pre-schools that are vpk approved and I am not impressed at all! Most are older, dirty and dingy. I wouldn't sit on the floor, let alone let my child. And what is with this not locking the door thing? I was told be several different schools that they aren't allowed to lock the door while school is in session - state law.?? Most of these schools are in store fronts in strip malls. They say it's a fire hazard. What about a door knob that unlocks when turned from the inside. I don't want just anyone to be able to walk into my child's school for any reason. I was told that there has never been any problems.
In Colorado, we had a similar door law for classrooms, for the same reason, whether it was a public or private school.
Preschools, no matter how nice they start out, under go hard usage every day. It takes elbow grease and money to keep them up.
I would keep looking until I found something I liked, and as Prichard says, it might cost more. Above all, I would talk to the prek staff and see what they seem to be like.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 AM

895 posts, read 4,248,776 times
It also depends on the pre-k program too. My daughter attended a wonderful pre-k program in Jupiter that was subsidized. And they locked the school door during the day--you needed a code to get into the building. When I got to Jacksonville, there weren't any programs with VPK near where I lived so I paid for it with no problem. Yes, it's great to get something for free but why would you want to send your child to a dirty school that you're not comfortable with?

Old 06-08-2007, 06:58 AM

13 posts, read 35,206 times
my wife is a preschool teacher in St Pete. She has a B.S. in early childhood developement and 3 years of experince as a lead teacher in preschool. She makes $9.00 an hour full time and has to pay for over half of her own health insurance. She made more as an office clerk. Its sad but Florida really doenst put a big priority on education. And this is a private school. Public schools are worse i hear.

Dan

Old 06-08-2007, 07:09 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
In Colorado, we had a similar door law for classrooms, for the same reason, whether it was a public or private school.
Preschools, no matter how nice they start out, under go hard usage every day. It takes elbow grease and money to keep them up.
I would keep looking until I found something I liked, and as Prichard says, it might cost more. Above all, I would talk to the prek staff and see what they seem to be like.
haven't these schools ever heard of push bars? the door is locked from the outside and a bar that runs the width of the door opens it.
so easy even a cave man could get it open

Old 06-08-2007, 07:41 AM

356 posts, read 1,268,996 times
The private schools are the only option. Check and see if there is a Cambridge in your area. They are great, clean and safe!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:45 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,665 times
You need to go the private route.. A few years ago the voters voted on whether or not to have a state sponsored pre-k program, it was approved by the voters and this is what the state came up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida