Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
A reality check and some honesty. You sound like a good teacher and would probably benefit from a system that rewarded excellence. The one being proposed may not be the best plan but don't you agree things are not as good as they should be? Don't you agree many of the teachers that hide out in our school system waiting for retirement should be replaced with teachers who still care about their job? How many teachers do you personally work with you look at and wonder why they bother coming to work? I think we all agree something has to be done. Lets face it, the American edacuation system is an ongoing experment. Attempting to forcefully educate the entire population of a country has never been tried before and needs tinkering with from time to time.
I attended Florida public schools for my entire childhood and adolescence, and am grateful that those schools gave me the intellectual foundation necessary to thrive in college and later in law school. Education is a fundamental public expenditure that shouldn't be taken lightly. Teachers not only teach children to read and write, but also to socialize, work in groups, and think creatively - all things essential for excelling in the working world. Floridians have a rather low tax burden compared to other states (no state income tax, fairly low property taxes), and yet they still seem to be trying to find ways to cut corners and save on educating our children. It's a shame that teachers are now being attacked by the public in this effort.

Educating our children is not, and should not be, a business. I am extremely cautious of any kind of business-like approach where teachers are paid differently based on the test scores their children achieve. Children aren't chemicals in beakers or variables in an equation where adding x amount of extra work or y amount of special attention will get them to achieve a certain result. Teachers in Pinecrest, Windermere, and Boca Raton may put in 7-hour days and see their students score in the 95th percentile. Many of these children have private tutors, involved parents, and a structured family environment to which to come home. Compare this to many underprivileged students in inner-city and rural districts where students are scoring in the 5th percentile although some teachers work 12-hour days and must dig deep into their own pockets to fund materials they believe will help those students. My mother, who has taught for many years in a district that is largely working/middle class, often spends upwards of $1000/year of her own money on extra materials for her students. Though merit pay may, at first glance, appear to reward the best teachers, it is a concept that fails to take into consideration the highly subjective experience that is learning.

The proposal of taking away tenure from teachers is something that also bothers me. Teachers don't just start with tenure; they must prove themselves as good at their work before principals awards them with tenure. Does the public really think that once teachers have tenure, many of them stop trying? Quite honestly, some of my best and most caring teachers were ones who had years of experience. In a field where starting salaries are decent but salary growth is minimal, I believe teachers should be rewarded with job security after having proven themselves after a few years.

I wish Florida teachers all of the best during their protests. It's time for the state to realize what little support merit pay has among our educators. Perhaps both lawmakers and the public at large will have a change at heart when they hear why teachers are so opposed to a system that supposedly "rewards" them.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 AM

391 posts, read 513,570 times
Quote:
A reality check and some honesty. You sound like a good teacher and would probably benefit from a system that rewarded excellence. The one being proposed may not be the best plan but don't you agree things are not as good as they should be? Don't you agree many of the teachers that hide out in our school system waiting for retirement should be replaced with teachers who still care about their job? How many teachers do you personally work with you look at and wonder why they bother coming to work? I think we all agree something has to be done. Lets face it, the American edacuation system is an ongoing experment. Attempting to forcefully educate the entire population of a country has never been tried before and needs tinkering with from time to time.
There are some misconceptions out there about the current system (the media doesn't help to disspell these). The word "tenure" is thrown around, as if any teacher after three years is set and can't be fired. Wrong, that was changed in the mid-eightys (1986, I think). Those hired after that date must receive positive evaluations in order to retain their position. I believe that the system to remove ineffective teachers is difficult and could use reform but, putting everyone on notice that every year their job and salsry is in question is daunting at best. What if I get injured and am out for a month? I get pregnant? Is my job safe while on maternity leave? I admit I haven't read all 66 pages of hb7189 but it frightens me. Should good teachers be frightened? Those protesting aren't all the bad teachers, they don't JUST care about the money, they aren't selfish. Those are the comments thrown out that guilt us into questioning our values. I CARE ABOUT KIDS! I have one that lives with me (my son) that I worry about very much. Will he be able to stay in the house we currently own? Will I be able to afford his medical bills? Keep food on the table? My income is the only income in the house (single mom). It may vary well drop 50%. I don't know? What will I do with him when I have to go out and get a second and third job to ensure his quality of life?
Teachers who complain about this bill want security, answers, they want what is best for the profession.
What we get is: we will jugde you somehow, someway, we'll work it out, what's wrong with you? Don't you CARE about improving education? Are you worried about your abilities to teach your students, something about something that will be determined later at our discretion.

Yeah, crazy me for thinking this is a BAD idea.

By the way, wouldn't it be an easy way to save on the budget to just keep hiring young students out of college and paying them that $17,000 (before taxes) OR shuffling teachers from one group to another so that they get merit pay only every three years, thus retaining them but saving a ton of money?!?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:20 AM

207 posts, read 452,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
There are some misconceptions out there about the current system (the media doesn't help to disspell these). The word "tenure" is thrown around, as if any teacher after three years is set and can't be fired. Wrong, that was changed in the mid-eightys (1986, I think). Those hired after that date must receive positive evaluations in order to retain their position. I believe that the system to remove ineffective teachers is difficult and could use reform but, putting everyone on notice that every year their job and salsry is in question is daunting at best. What if I get injured and am out for a month? I get pregnant? Is my job safe while on maternity leave? I admit I haven't read all 66 pages of hb7189 but it frightens me. Should good teachers be frightened? Those protesting aren't all the bad teachers, they don't JUST care about the money, they aren't selfish. Those are the comments thrown out that guilt us into questioning our values. I CARE ABOUT KIDS! I have one that lives with me (my son) that I worry about very much. Will he be able to stay in the house we currently own? Will I be able to afford his medical bills? Keep food on the table? My income is the only income in the house (single mom). It may vary well drop 50%. I don't know? What will I do with him when I have to go out and get a second and third job to ensure his quality of life?
Teachers who complain about this bill want security, answers, they want what is best for the profession.
What we get is: we will jugde you somehow, someway, we'll work it out, what's wrong with you? Don't you CARE about improving education? Are you worried about your abilities to teach your students, something about something that will be determined later at our discretion.

By the way, wouldn't it be an easy way to save on the budget to just keep hiring young students out of college and paying them that $17,000 (before taxes) OR shuffling teachers from one group to another so that they get merit pay only every three years, thus retaining them but saving a ton of money?!?
I grew up in Florida schools and maybe teachers hired after a certain date are exempt BUT I have had a fair share of teachers that actually BRAGGED about their tenure & the fact that they could do or say whatever they wanted and nothing would come of it. I had a handful of teachers that I will remember for the rest of my life but sadly the number of teachers that were worthless far outweigh the good. I could tell some horror stories about how bad some of my teachers were. I know there are many that truly love children and want nothing more than to positively impact their students' lives but the teachers unions have ruined Florida schools. There should be performance based pay- how that performance is measured is the tricky part I guess. I haven't read the whole bill either so I can't say this bill is the answer. if it is passed I hope the ability to renegotiate annually is not abused but used to weed out the teachers who are not making an impact.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM

Just one more comment before I go back to e-mail Gov. Crist once again. He will be getting this same message. I have not been this uncertain about my future since my divorce 8 years ago. My concerns are the same as then. Can I live on half of what I make? Will I go into debt (I currently am living well within my means)? Can I keep my house? Can I even sell it if I need to? Will I have to move in with my parents? Can I get a second even third job, and pay for child care for the hours that I'm there? Only diffierence now I have paid my sons education for with the Florida Pre-paid College Fund (thank goodness)!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:36 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
Exactly, and I would rather pay an additional 2-4 thousand dollars more per year in property taxes (in CT), instead of 15-20 thousand per year per child for private school (in FL). But actually at the moment, I am renting. So I don't pay any property tax.
You may not being paying property tax directly, but the owner of your place I can bet has factored in the property taxes for the place you live, into your rent.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Will Charter Schools be affected by this as well? or just public schools?
Probably because they are part of the public school system.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:46 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:

I can't believe you haven't read and studied every word of something that effects you so directly? Fear comes from not knowing. You say the media has confuses the public while you don't know much more about it yourself. I am not being critical, I know you are just being honest but I am shocked.

I was once involved in a law suit and when it came to the final settelment I could not believe the lack of grasp my lawyer had. I just butted in and took over he didn't seem to have a clue while I knew the case backward and forward. When we left the office the judge that was handling the mediation told me it was a good thing I spoke up my lawyer was about to give away the farm.

That point of my story is, you have to be involved about things you care about and effect you. Have you called the Govenor or written a letter? Were you at any of the rally's. If you were I commend you but if you weren't then you just letting yourself be the victim. Spending your time posting to an obscure internet forum is not constructive. The Gov has 5 days to sign it or veto it, what is your personal plan of attack? I am not debating you I want you to stand up for what you believe, even if I disagree. That's how our country works.

I am sitting at my desk and my tax bills are still sitting here waiting to be filed. I just too a look and 37% of my property taxes went to schools. I don't even have any kids and I pay thousands to educate other people children and pay teachers. How should I feel about that?

Old 04-11-2010, 12:48 PM

So this planned sick day on Monday in Miami-Dade by the teachers, have the schools put subs on notice? Are parents going to keep their children home Monday? This is going to be disruptive to the schools Monday if many teachers do this.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I can't believe you haven't read and studied every word of something that effects you so directly? Fear comes from not knowing. You say the media has confuses the public while you don't know much more about it yourself. I am not being critical, I know you are just being honest but I am shocked.

I was once involved in a law suit and when it came to the final settelment I could not believe the lack of grasp my lawyer had. I just butted in and took over he didn't seem to have a clue while I knew the case backward and forward. When we left the office the judge that was handling the mediation told me it was a good thing I spoke up my lawyer was about to give away the farm.

That point of my story is, you have to be involved about things you care about and effect you. Have you called the Govenor or written a letter? Were you at any of the rally's. If you were I commend you but if you weren't then you just letting yourself be the victim. Spending your time posting to an obscure internet forum is not constructive. The Gov has 5 days to sign it or veto it, what is your personal plan of attack? I am not debating you I want you to stand up for what you believe, even if I disagree. That's how our country works.

I am sitting at my desk and my tax bills are still sitting here waiting to be filed. I just too a look and 37% of my property taxes went to schools. I don't even have any kids and I pay thousands to educate other people children and pay teachers. How should I feel about that?
I never said that I didn't know much about the bill. I have read sections of the bill that most concerned me and that I wanted clarification on. I just admitted that I have not read it front to back all 66 pages. I also will admit that I have never read the Florida Constitution, which also has an effect on my life and everyone elses in the state. I have spent most of my time e-mailing and calling my Senators (well, not just mine but all of the ones in favor of the bill) my Representatives (same) and Gov. Crist. I have been handing out flyers to parents at my school. I will also use a personal day on Monday to show that I do stand up for what I believe. As far as posting on an obscure internet form I started this thread to make people in Miami aware of what might (now will) happen in the schools on Monday. I think that you should worry about what is being done with your tax money! Is it being used wisely, or are people who look at the school system like a business and children as products making unwise decisions which is driving education into the ground and good teachers out of the class. You have a large investment! Even more if these children grow to become a welfare burden on the system which has fallen apart. That's just my opinion of what I would feel about it if I were in you shoes

Old 04-11-2010, 02:32 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
I never said that I didn't know much about the bill. I have read sections of the bill that most concerned me and that I wanted clarification on. I just admitted that I have not read it front to back all 66 pages. I also will admit that I have never read the Florida Constitution, which also has an effect on my life and everyone elses in the state. I have spent most of my time e-mailing and calling my Senators (well, not just mine but all of the ones in favor of the bill) my Representatives (same) and Gov. Crist. I have been handing out flyers to parents at my school. I will also use a personal day on Monday to show that I do stand up for what I believe. As far as posting on an obscure internet form I started this thread to make people in Miami aware of what might (now will) happen in the schools on Monday. I think that you should worry about what is being done with your tax money! Is it being used wisely, or are people who look at the school system like a business and children as products making unwise decisions which is driving education into the ground and good teachers out of the class. You have a large investment! Even more if these children grow to become a welfare burden on the system which has fallen apart. That's just my opinion of what I would feel about it if I were in you shoes
Because Crist is nothing more then a hack politician who sticks his finger in the wind before he does anything. Believe me, 20,000 teachers assembled in Tallahassee before he signs it will get it vetoed. It is just a matter of organizing, you only have one focus now, the gov. Lets see if you teachers can do something more the idol threats that will be quickly forgotten and yesterdays news next week at this time.

They have already announced they have a plan in place and if the teachers don't show up so be it, the day will go on as normal. You need an all out push or just forget about it and just go back to work. I am sorry to say I don't think you have the leadership to get it done. In the military we had a term for what the teachers efforts have look like so far and it started with "Cluster".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida